Bobjiggins

Waiting and Grad/Professional School

3 posts in this topic

Hi there. 

I wish to remain anonymous so I will call myself Bob. 

I am a 22 year old Complete Virgin Christian Male in my last year of University (Applied Math & Finance). Although my degree is very employable and although I have good physical attributes (apart from some weight gained from college which I plan to loose in the next year) I am slightly nervous about getting the timing right when it comes to dating. 

This has nothing to do with being socially awkward or inexperience in dating. The main reason why I have not been able to really commit to relationships was due a lack of time. When you go to school for a challenging degree you just do not have the time necessarily to invest into relationships. Plus I work to support myself through school. 

Where this concerns me for the future is that I am considering Grad School (after a couple years of working) and do not think it is manageable or fair to have a relationship while pursuing that. 

With this background to the question I wish to ask those of you who waited until your late 20s after you had done Professional School or any sort of extra training beyond an initial undergrad to date and get married how did you manage to wait that long? And what advice would you give to someone younger in that position?

Im not a graduate student, but I just wanted to tell you to go for it in grad school. The person you are going to marry is worth waiting for. So regardless of how much time you may spend in grad school and working, she is worth waiting for as much as you are worth their wait. The sacrificies that we do now is the material the builds the future. And the material that you are using is of good quality. 

1 person likes this

I am a graduate student at the moment and while I am not married yet, I also feel pursuing a relationship while in graduate school depends on the person. I also feel similar to you Bob about not wanting to pursue a relationship while in graduate school. The main reason why I feel this way is because I do not have time to really devote my energy to that relationship. However, I do feel that having relationships are important. For example, I think it is important to have a support group including circle of friends. I think what helped me wait while in graduate school is finding a group of friends who share similar values. As Gema, articulated well graduate school is a sacrifice but I also think it is well worth it if you enter your program for the right reasons. You change and grow as a person when you enter this period in your life and feel it will be a benefit to your future relationship with your wife.