Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
'tis the Bearded One

Premarital Fertility Testing

2 posts in this topic

I'm a bit curious about my own fertility. I have no reason to believe it would be impaired but knowing whether that is the case could be important for a potential spouse if she desires her own biological offspring and doesn't want to use another man's sperm.

Would you like to know the fertility of a potential spouse?

Has anyone here ever gotten themselves tested? 

I realise that some forms of in/fertility can change. I know a couple who couldn't conceive till after a dietary change and a woman who had such bad internal scarring that a doctor told her she would never get pregnant but who now has multiple kids. It's not always an exact science but some might like to know the chances. 

Would not being able to have biological kids be a dealbreaker for you? Would you be open to a partner using someone else's eggs/sperm to have a child?

1 person likes this

That's interesting actually about the diet thing - I had no idea about that. 

I actually think it's a good idea to get things like that tested. It would probably be a deal breaker if I wasn't married because I do want children. However in the UK, fertility tests are only offered to those who are already struggling to have children so that is an issue. They are quite expensive otherwise but it would still be useful to know and I would definitely get it checked before getting married and expect my future spouse to get it checked too. 

However if it was something that I found out while we were married - I would be fine since you marry someone for better or worse. You marry a person for them, not for children. 

I would NOT be okay using another man's sperm. Same for my husband using another woman's eggs. That's just not okay with me. I will always know that that child is not ours and that bothers me. Part of the beauty of having children would be to see what OUR child would look like; not me with someone else. Otherwise for me there is no point. I would rather have some dogs or something since I'm not really open to adoption either. I want biological children from both my husband and I or none at all - but that's just me. These would be discussions we would have before we get serious/married. 

1 person likes this