OneLovelyBabe

sovereignty of God vs human dominion

7 posts in this topic

Just like the title says, do you believe in the idea that God is a sovereign God or do you believe in the Dominion over the earth by humanity? I think the deeper question here is do we believe that God is wanting us in a place of begging or do we believe we can pretty much "name it and claim it?"

Just to be sure I understand you correctly, is this a question of God's predestination vs man's free will?

On 5/6/2017 at 1:55 AM, OneLovelyBabe said:

Just like the title says, do you believe in the idea that God is a sovereign God or do you believe in the Dominion over the earth by humanity?

Both, with how you worded it. God has ultimate sovereignty. Humans have dominion over the earth in terms of being the leading species presiding over it, and we have the responsibility of a trustee for it.

On 5/6/2017 at 1:55 AM, OneLovelyBabe said:

I think the deeper question here is do we believe that God is wanting us in a place of begging or do we believe we can pretty much "name it and claim it?"

Neither. I cannot imagine God's ideal for us is begging, as I don't believe the core focus of the human experience is lust or need based on lack or scarcity. I don't think we can "name it and claim it" either: we reap what we sow.

1 person likes this

On 5/6/2017 at 0:52 AM, Invincible said:

Just to be sure I understand you correctly, is this a question of God's predestination vs man's free will?

You know what I think I probably didn't fully explain what I should have. In a way I guess it COULD relate to free will, so technically yes, but for the purposes of your intent and this I wouldn't say it is about free will vs predestination like with Calvinism and all of that. I guess what I mean is this idea of for instance, sickness, do you believe that God has put that on you? Or that God always wants you well?  

I would say that much of life is all about our own actions, our own will and our own struggles.

I would say God tends to keep the overall macro, big, big things moving in the direction he wants but I don't think God really micromanages each person's day to day lives.

Much of life is what we make of it. We get to choose and I think that is how God wants it. In essence, we are being tested, tested to see if we'll choose to do what pleases God or choose not to (we have the scriptures as a guide to show us wisdom and how best to live life). Now a person who is very disciplined in prayer and seeks God daily will have much more access to God's involvement in their life but still much is up to us.

Even when God "guides" a person, it is usually done by very subtle tweaks and in my experience he directs and guides those who do not have fear and take action and begin to "do", they make decisions, they take risks and "live" life. They may pray and ask for guidance and ask for God's will to be done but in my opinion, he directs those who set their boat afloat and get it moving down the river. They step out in faith, then God will offer those little course corrections from time to time. I don't believe God will do that much or offer a lot of guidance for those that just sit paralyzed, doing nothing, just "waiting" for a word from God before they do anything.

Even the parable about the talents "For to the one who has, more will be given, and he will have an abundance, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away." seems to display a sense of free will to exercise our talents and work and strive or the freedom to hide our talents in fear and not use them (use it or lose it, atrophy vs. exercise and growth).

Someone mentioned "predestination" earlier. I've always known people that struggled with that concept. I've never had the slightest question about it. It makes perfect sense and I have no confusion over it. God knows everything, he knows everything that will ever happen, but just knowing it doesn't mean we still aren't choosing freely. We have free will, we choose freely, he just knows what we will do.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Someone mentioned "predestination" earlier. I've always known people that struggled with that concept. I've never had the slightest question about it. It makes perfect sense and I have no confusion over it. God knows everything, he knows everything that will ever happen, but just knowing it doesn't mean we still aren't choosing freely. We have free will, we choose freely, he just knows what we will do.

I have always understood predestination the exact same way but had difficulty explaining it to others. Thank you for expressing it so succinctly. :) 

it was my destiny to post this cheesy overused joke

maybe he treats us like a sims game and observes our actions/ randomly intervenes for fun 

i tend to daydream about a world where we invent A.I and create real world simulations where we can observe people calling us Gods and how that would impact the world we live in

a videogame where the villain of the game is a nihilist because he realizes he is just a program in a videogame so he views his life as meaningless other than for the ''players'' enjoyment

''and once you defeat me, your life will become meaningless too,for the one controlling you will lose interest in controlling you''

maybe free will doesn't exist