Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Weapon X

Do marriages between people who waited till marriage generally last longer?

4 posts in this topic

Perhaps there are some stats regarding this? Or regarding those who waited a while but maybe didn't hold out till the wedding date. 

If so, it's probably because people who wait are more likely to be religious (and thus against divorce).

There have been a number of studies on the relationship between premarital sex and divorce rates. The most famous study is the Teachman study. Here is a quote from it:

"It is clear that an intimate premarital relationship limited to a woman's husband does not affect the risk of marital disruption. However, having at least one other intimate relationship prior to marriage is linked to an increased risk of divorce (from 53% to 166%). There is a substantially higher risk of marital dissolution if the woman both had sex with another man and cohabited with him (166% vs. 53%-119% for other patterns of premarital relationships involving someone other than one's husband, a difference that is statistically significant)."
(Teachman, Jay. "Premarital Sex, Premarital Cohabitation, and the Risk of Subsequent Marital Dissolution among Women." Journal of Marriage and Family 65, no. 2 (2003): 444-455.)

This study has actually been referenced here on this website:
http://waitingtillmarriage.org/study-definite-link-between-premarital-sex-cohabitation-and-divorce/

The general consensus among these is that marital stability is tied to partner count in women, not the decision of whether or not to wait until marriage. The differences between women who had one sexual partner their entire lives and had sex before marriage as opposed to those with one sexual partner and waited until marriage are negligible.

Here is a quote from another study published by the same journal:

"Having previous sexual partners greatly increased the likelihood that a woman would have a secondary sex partner. In particular, a woman with 4 or more male sex partners prior to her primary relationship was about 8.5 times more likely to have a secondary sex partner than a woman with no previous sex partners."
(Forste, Renata and Koray Tanfer. "Sexual Exclusivity among Dating, Cohabiting, and Married Women." Journal of Marriage and the Family 58, no. 1 (1996): 33-47.)

Why are women mentioned specifically? Well, the negative correlation between number of sexual partners and marital stability is only present in women. A study from 2004 published by the University of Virginia found that amount of sexual partners of women affects the quality of the marriage, but it doesn't for men:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2733220/Women-don-t-sleep-wedding-happier-marriages-men-play-field-without-worry-study-finds.html

On 4/21/2017 at 8:36 PM, Burento said:

If so, it's probably because people who wait are more likely to be religious (and thus against divorce).

This is an extremely common misconception. The Teachman study was controlled for a variety of variables, religiosity being one of them.
"I control for a wide range of potentially confounding variables that have been identified in the literature… race, religion, education, parental education, parental marital history, premarital births and conception, and spouse homogeneity with respect to race, religion, and age."

Furthermore, the Teachman study referenced showed that women who marry religous or very religious men have a higher divorce rate. See the analysis of Model 1 by Barbara Foster in "Learning From Jay Teachman's Premarital Sex, Cohabitation and Divorce: The Broken Link."

In closing, the research suggests that it is the amount of sexual partners a woman has that affects the stability of the marriage, not religion, not the man's sexual partners, not whether or not marriage is treated as the green light.

Honestly, I care more about happiness than the length of the marriage. I dont know if you have seen couples that have been married a long time but are miserable, resent each other, and would rather end their marriage but don't out of religious and/or cultural influences? When I do, it puts a lot of things into perspective for me. 

10 hours ago, Skald said:

In closing, the research suggests that it is the amount of sexual partners a woman has that affects the stability of the marriage

This is not surprising. I have my some thoughts as to why that is but was wondering if you know of the top of your head if the articles states the reason why?