7 posts in this topic

First off hi everyone I hope you're all well :)

I haven't been here in a while but I wanted to share something. 

For a while now (I guess it's been a process of a year or two) I've been less and less convinced of God. 

It started out as being less and less convinced of the Christian God and specifically the form of Christianity I was raised with. Just so many things don't add up and I couldn't make myself ignore them.

For a while I still believed in some sort of creator then that declined to universal consciousness of some sort.

And you know, my belief just got more and more vague.

And now I've recently in the last couple of months actually started to use the term atheist to describe myself.

I'm still WTM which I know some people might think is odd but that decision was never majorly based on my religious views to begin with.

That's it.

I have participated in a few religious topics in the past on here and/or given responses based on a Christian view and have even found encouragement in the belief of others here so I guess that's why I felt I should share this with you. 

Is anyone else formerly religious? Did you go through a sort of process or did it all just hit you at once one day?

I wasn't sure what topic to post this in. Does atheist stuff go with "religion" though it is the lack of it?

Edited by BEKKI
Spelling and grammar, adding tags
1 person likes this

I abandoned Christianity at around 10 years of age. I may have had the same thought process as you: “this doesn't make sense.” I always had the habit of examining things very critically, and faith was never one of my strong suits, not even to this day.

I eventually settled on polytheism, but my gods don't have any laws on sexual mores. There are pragmatic suggestions (things like not to sleep with a married woman, for example), of course, but no laws. It was really up to me to decide what kind of morals I wanted to use as a guiding principle for my life. Chastity was not at the top of my list, admittedly, and took me some time to settle into mentally, but I found my own reasons eventually.

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but sometimes just knowing there's someone else who has gone through it helps.

2 people like this

Thanks for sharing Skald. I'm surprised you had this change of heart/mind while still so young but I think an enquiring mind and a healthy bit of skepticism is a good thing. 

I wasn't looking for help exactly but I just wanted to share and a discussion is always nice too :)

I've called myself an atheist for about 4 years now and started doubting about 2 years before that. The doubt hit me all of a sudden but going from that to accepting that I didn't believe anymore and moving on was definitely a drawn out and often painful process. I'm happier now and hope to one day soon be more open with my family and friends about it without feeling weird. (Former Christian; raised Christian from birth to college)

For me the most interesting and toughest part has been having to figure out all of my beliefs, morals, etc. from scratch without a guide or dogma to start from. Worth it though in my opinion.

Good luck with your new outlook and, no offense to others, congrats!

2 people like this

On 02/04/2017 at 0:57 AM, BEKKI said:

First off hi everyone I hope you're all well :)

I haven't been here in a while but I wanted to share something. 

For a while now (I guess it's been a process of a year or two) I've been less and less convinced of God. 

It started out as being less and less convinced of the Christian God and specifically the form of Christianity I was raised with. Just so many things don't add up and I couldn't make myself ignore them.

For a while I still believed in some sort of creator then that declined to universal consciousness of some sort.

And you know, my belief just got more and more vague.

And now I've recently in the last couple of months actually started to use the term atheist to describe myself.

I'm still WTM which I know some people might think is odd but that decision was never majorly based on my religious views to begin with.

That's it.

I have participated in a few religious topics in the past on here and/or given responses based on a Christian view and have even found encouragement in the belief of others here so I guess that's why I felt I should share this with you. 

Is anyone else formerly religious? Did you go through a sort of process or did it all just hit you at once one day?

I wasn't sure what topic to post this in. Does atheist stuff go with "religion" though it is the lack of it?

Hi Bekki !

Thank you for being honest and for sharing here...

I was wondering when you say :

On 02/04/2017 at 0:57 AM, BEKKI said:

Just so many things don't add up and I couldn't make myself ignore them.

What do you mean by that ? 

I'm not God and I'm not the Holy Spirit...Only the Holy Spirit can convince you regarding the truth and I won't even try to take His role...

I just want to give my testimony that Jesus is my Savior, He taught me everything about life with the Bible and the help of the Holy Spirit and thanks to Him, everything makes perfect sense. My life is beautiful thanks to Jesus and He fills me with peace and joy and wants to do the same with everybody who put His trust in Him.

I do believe that Jesus is real, He is alive and cares about humanity...

I pray that you can really find the truth : Jesus is the truth.

I wish you the best.

2 people like this

So I'm not atheist but I do claim spiritually agnostic. Basically I don't believe in a God but rather like a simple connection of souls, if that makes sense. 

Being someone who is WTM in the Christian belt who is not a Christian can be a bit of a challenge. Explaining to people why I am waiting and that it is not for religious reasons can be a interesting topic. But when you explain that you are looking to connect to a persons soul and who they are, not because a religion told you to do so, they seem to be more understanding. 

To each their own, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.

I, on the other hand am always amazed people "grow" to believe in the existence of God less and less.

For me it is the exact opposite, the more I learn and understand the more my belief in God is confirmed and strengthened. Just the natural world is amazing evidence to me. People who don't believe God "created" things just cough up every amazing thing to "it evolved that way". I'm just the opposite. If there is no creator and designer the way things evolved really make no sense. There are too many things that have a specific, needed purpose, things that need to be to just say they evolved. Creatures die and have to pro create to keep the  species. We know that, it is obvious. But a world that just "is" and has no creator would have no reason to just creatures having full blown systems and drives that serve one purpose, the continuation of the species. That is an elaborate purpose. One who plans would know that it is a needed function for plants and living creatures to procreate. Without intelligence behind it, it makes no sense for this system to spring forth.

Some things are just too complicated and specialized to just "evolve". Flight for example. A bird flying is so, so, so complicated and so many criteria must first be met before flight can occur. They must have a unique aerodynamic shape and the wing itself is so specialized with the curved leading edge with the perfect proportions of curved top and flat bottom to create the difference in air pressure to create lift. The smooth drag resistant feathers that cover the body, the small size, the light hollow bones that are strong but light enough to allow flight. "Birds just evolved that way". Any creature jumping off a 100 foot elevated surface that didn't ALREADY have all of these specialized criteria would just fall to the ground and die or be injured. How, why could such a creature "evolve"? Fight cannot occur until all of these endless criteria are FIRST met. Giraffes stretching out for high food on trees and those with shorter necks dying off because only those with long necks makes sense. You can logically see how a giraffe could evolve. Flying birds? No. Birds can't fly until feathers, shape, wings, light bones, etc. FIRST occur THEN it can fly. That makes no logical sense for a bird to just "evolve".

Just the immense complex and spiritual nature of men and women, love, sex, dating and marriage. Without a maker it is very illogical to me for evolution to just (back to my first paragraph) spring forth that creatures should procreate (even though there is no creator to decide it is necessary) then for it to occur by there being two distinct genders and for each to have completely separate complex systems designed to join with the opposite counterpart with the sole purpose of bringing forth another human. So much complexity, each perfectly fitted and knitted with the interaction with the other. Testicles, Ovaries, scrotums, vas deferens, fallopian tube, seminal vesicle, cervix, ejaculatory duct, uterus, penis, vagina, follicle, sperm, egg. The way we are hardwired to desire one another, to desire love, affection for the opposite gender. It seems a little simple to just say "it evolved" without acknowledging how all of these things are needed, and they exist and are because they are necessary. If there is no intelligence determining these very complex themes and systems are "necessary" it doesn't seem logical for them just to evolve and be that way. It makes no sense to want each other, dream of each other, have such intense emotions regarding each other, to be so different in appearance and make up from each other yet the same without recognizing there is a specific NEEDED purpose behind all of these things. To just blindly say these extremely complex needs were fulfilled and these multiple, extremely necessary systems came to be and organism A having body parts designed to specifically match organism B and for each be hard wired to crave these things because it just evolved, no planning, no wisdom, direction, understanding.....it just happened. It just is. We just lucked out in that we evolved to reproduce and not become extinct, we evolved the complex systems to make children, we just evolved to do it as two separate, different genders, our bodies just evolved to know how to imprint our genetic code in our chromosomes and DNA chains just evolved, we just evolved to have romantic feelings for each other and to crave sex, we just lucked out that we evolved to have pleasure receptors in our private areas. It was all needed and we just flat out lucked out that all of this just evolved. How do you evolve it if nothing is there determining this is all NEEDED? How did any living organism just EVOLVE to reproduce when nothing dictates reproduction is NEEDED? It happened because it was necessary? It was needed? Who told evolution reproduction was necessary? Who told evolution creatures shouldn't become extinct? How did evolution think and decide it needed to come up with a solution to death and extinction, that a species NEEDS to go on?

If there is no designer and intelligence that understands the weight and mass of air and understands thrust vs. lift vs. drag vs. weight and actually WANTS actual flight to exist, it makes no logical sense for a creature to evolve feathers, aerodynamic shape, extremely light weight, hollowed out bones, foil shaped wings perfectly shaped for flight but not able to hold, grab or manipulate any objects, only air. Giraffes having long necks to reach higher food sources makes micro evolutionary sense. Creatures first developing all of these specialized features BEFORE it was able to fly makes no sense at all.

So for me, all of the wondrous things of the world and creation point to a creator to me. There are way too many things that make zero sense to even exist without a creator because the purpose, need and specialization is too great to just evolve.

That's just me though.

5 people like this