Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
'tis the Bearded One

Sleeping in the Same Bed

5 posts in this topic

As an unmarried person, you are no doubt used to having a bed to your own. What luxury! Do you have any concerns about the fact that this will change once married?

Are you a light sleeper? A heavy sleeper? A restless sleeper? A tosser and a turner? A starfisher? A kicker or a puncher? A blanket hogger? A cold sleeper? A hot sleeper? A sleep talker? A screamer? A snorer? A teeth grinder?! 

On the occasions that I've had to share a bed with someone, trying not to disturb their sleep frequently interfered with the quality of my own so....lets see how that turns out!  I'll keep the stories for later....

That illustration is actually super true, haha. My fiancé and I do sleep in the same bed a few times a week, and I can say from experience that that describes it perfectly.

When you first start sleeping in a bed with someone, you are hyper-aware of all of your movements and sounds and all of theirs, which makes it difficult to sleep soundly. But after a few weeks/months, you sort of fall into a routine and feel much more comfortable. We're lucky in the fact that neither of us snores, or tosses and turns, and we're both pretty light sleepers. But one big difference in our sleeping habits that took us awhile to compromise on is that, before we were together, he used to always sleep with his tv/computer on (playing youtube videos, etc) to help him fall asleep. And I have always fallen asleep in silence. It took us awhile to find a solution to this issue, but we discovered Sleep Phones, which are tiny headphones built into a soft headband that he can wear when he sleeps. So we can both sleep the way we want now.

From my experience, it takes awhile to get used to sleeping with someone but once you've got it figured out, it feels just as natural as when you were sleeping by yourself. Plus you've got someone to snuggle up to whenever the urge arises :)

1 person likes this

On 3/14/2017 at 11:23 PM, emily1030 said:

My fiancé and I do sleep in the same bed a few times a week

Ooh la la :P 

Snoring! I completely forgot about that smh. I shall add it to the list.

Good to know the hyper-awareness settles down. In regard to him falling asleep: I have trouble falling asleep and one of the most enjoyable ways (and very effective) is to have someone read something to me. If you like reading before bed, it might be something that could work for the two of you. It's a little thing I'm looking forward to in marriage :) 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, 'tis the Bearded One said:

Ooh la la :P 

Snoring! I completely forgot about that smh. I shall add it to the list.

Good to know the hyper-awareness settles down. In regard to him falling asleep: I have trouble falling asleep and one of the most enjoyable ways (and very effective) is to have someone read something to me. If you like reading before bed, it might be something that could work for the two of you. It's a little thing I'm looking forward to in marriage :) 

Haha, I know, our boundaries are a little different than some others on this site, but we're managing to sleep in the same bed and not "sleep together." As hard as it may be sometimes.

Snoring probably would have been the most difficult for me to deal with, considering I like a quiet room.

The reading is a really good idea. We have read in bed before but never as a means to fall asleep. But now thinking back on it, we both did get pretty tired. That might be something to try again. Thanks for the idea!

1 person likes this