Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
'tis the Bearded One

Changing Standards for Displaying Affection/Interest?

3 posts in this topic

My first romantic interest that I approached to pursue said that I was the first guy to tell her that he liked her in person. She was in her mid 20s at that point....

My younger brother (who is in high school) recently had a female classmate (who actually drives him crazy sometimes :lol:; described as uber emotional and will vent/snap on him for no reason;...maybe she likes him?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :superwaiter:) who was having a tough time for some reason (couldn't tell me/confidential) so he bought her her favourite drink, drew some flower on it (maybe some words too;can't remember) and put it in her locker. She broke down crying. The other girls told him that "No one does that kind of stuff".

Anyone have any stories to share where you've done (or seen things done), that you would consider relatively standard or decent, receive what "should" be an unusual reaction? 

How do you find the standard for how one displays romantic or other kind of affection has changed?

For those who have been approached with romantic intent, has this mostly been face-to-face or through a "safer" medium such as call, text, email, facebook, etc? Was it practical to do it face-to-face instead?

Honestly, the only part I can really speak on is the last part. You see, it is probably best to do it face-to-face, but some people are just really really shy and the idea of taking possible rejection is easier if you can't see the person. I know, first hand. In high school, there were two times I approached guys I had interest in to see if they'd be interested in going out with me. (No one ever made a move towards me...I wonder, to this day, what was wrong with me.) Anyway, because of the feelings I had, I can fully understand if someone uses unconventional methods to test the waters and see how someone feels about them. Now, anything more serious, should the interest be reciprocated, should be done on a face-to-face basis as much as possible.

I would like to say, that thing with buying her a drink and drawing flowers on it? That's awesome. That's out of the box thinking, and is really great.

On 2/28/2017 at 1:48 PM, PhotoGirl said:

In high school, there were two times I approached guys I had interest in to see if they'd be interested in going out with me.

So brave! So sad...May I ask how you approached them? Please...:blush:

On 2/28/2017 at 1:48 PM, PhotoGirl said:

(No one ever made a move towards me...I wonder, to this day, what was wrong with me.)

Curious...Might have been a good thing. Did you have your WTM convictions at that stage?

Ahhhh *sigh*. I had 3 girls (that I know...) put the moves on me in high school. The first I was oblivious to the fact that moves were being made, innocent homeschooler that I was -_-. The second was express but sent another girl to deliver the message. The third was quite indirectly overt but by the time I was sure I wasn't misreading the situation and was puzzling as to how to let her down easy, she either lost interest or realised she wasn't going to get what she hoped for. But I wasn't beset by anything from peers grade 10 and onwards. Me not being interested in any of the girls wouldn't have helped and years later I learnt that they might also have thought I was gay since my best mate and I hung out together all the time at school and he also didn't date anyone! hahaha ah, good times