Guest markb4

Girls and Shopping

40 posts in this topic

Hey girls,

Another question: Can any of you girls explain to me why girls (stereotypically, of course) enjoy shopping so much? That's always bothered me. Thanks!

Awww no! Mark! Don't sterotype! :( if u had just saide why do pepole like shopping.....

I don't no if I like shoping. I like geting thogh. Not as selfish as it sound everyone like getting stuff you want. But as for pepole who can spend hours windo shopping and buy nothing and still have fun. Not really me. But going shoping 4 something I want like books or shoes (I'm not a girl who buys tons of shoes I only get new one when the old one worn out or if theres a realy good sale)

In our society, looks are so focused on, and fashion and celebrities----for girls, to fit in their gender role, they are supposed to look a certian way, etc. In order to try to be like that, you need to be up on fashion etc.

I like it because it's fun and I enjoy getting to feel great because I found something that fits really good. Fit is important to guys too, but it's just like loose or tight (yes, I'm stereotyping) . For girls, it's more picky, because looks are more focused on us in terms of what guys think/if they like us and other girls judge too. For example, does it fit my chest right? Does my butt look good in these jeans? Is this too short or long for me? Do I need to wear a cami under this shirt? Does anything show when I bend over? Etc.

Interesting...

I think the whole "women like shopping" centers more around the types of items that we shop for. I think it's probably fair to say that men enjoy shopping as much as we do, but maybe not for the same kinds of things. When we think of 'shopping', we may not think of gadgets, game consoles, electronics, and other stereotypical 'guy' items. What usually comes to mind is clothes, shoes, accessories. When it comes to clothes and beauty products, I think women shop for these items more frequently because of societal ideals: a woman is more attractive if she's wearing trendy, figure-accentuating clothing, or if her hair and makeup are always in place. And, unfortunately, many of us (not all of us) put our self-worth in what we're wearing, and in our looks. We are also socialized to believe that men notice pretty...pretty clothes, pretty hair, etc. So, we shop for things that make us pretty.

This is my opinion.

Mali

2 people like this

Interesting...

I think the whole "women like shopping" centers more around the types of items that we shop for. I think it's probably fair to say that men enjoy shopping as much as we do, but maybe not for the same kinds of things.

Yeah I would definitely go along with this. I'm not much of a mall-goer lol but I could spend all day in Cabela's or Bass Pro shop!!

i looooooooooooooooooooooooooove shopping!!! I think its the experience that I love. My girl friends and i get together for an entire day, we either do each others hair and nails first or we get our hair and nails and done. We then got to the biggest shopping center we can find and spend our entire day there, we have lunch and we try on everything we can fit :D we end the night by seeing a movie or having dinner. The experience is to die for!! And if we dont have that much cash we just window shop and try on prom dresses :lol: we have a potluck at one of our homes and enjoy each others company. I think its all about the fellowship and maybe less about the purchases....wait no, I like the purchases :lol:

i looooooooooooooooooooooooooove shopping!!! I think its the experience that I love. My girl friends and i get together for an entire day, we either do each others hair and nails first or we get our hair and nails and done. We then got to the biggest shopping center we can find and spend our entire day there, we have lunch and we try on everything we can fit :D we end the night by seeing a movie or having dinner. The experience is to die for!! And if we dont have that much cash we just window shop and try on prom dresses :lol: we have a potluck at one of our homes and enjoy each others company. I think its all about the fellowship and maybe less about the purchases....wait no, I like the purchases :lol:

You are my kind of girl Ally!!! :)

Mark omg! This is such an easy question!!! Uhh, let me ask you this Mark. How many cute outfits do you see for guys?? Like glittery, bows, ribbons, accessories, heels, things that are sexy and sleek looking or colorful omg the list goes on! Girls have way more options of clothing styles than guys so that's why we love/like to shop they're are so many styles, trends, and looks that girls can pick from! but as stated men like to shop too, Mark! For example, one time my brother took me to (no offense fellas some boring) tools store and I almost thought I was going to die!!! Omg. So my brother noticed I was getting irritated and he says, "This is our shopping right here for guys." cus my brother thinks shopping is dreadful and boring and I was like "Omg this is how ya'll feel about our shopping??! No way??" Then I got silent and didn't say anything else because I was like omg.

2 people like this

Mark omg! This is such an easy question!!! Uhh, let me ask you this Mark. How many cute outfits do you see for guys?? Like glittery, bows, ribbons, accessories, heels, things that are sexy and sleek looking or colorful omg the list goes on! Girls have way more options of clothing styles than guys so that's why we love/like to shop they're are so many styles, trends, and looks that girls can pick from! but as stated men like to shop too, Mark! For example, one time my brother took me to (no offense fellas some boring) tools store and I almost thought I was going to die!!! Omg. So my brother noticed I was getting irritated and he says, "This is our shopping right here for guys." cus my brother thinks shopping is dreadful and boring and I was like "Omg this is how ya'll feel about our shopping??! No way??" Then I got silent and didn't say anything else because I was like omg.

This is pretty much my thoughts on the matter. There are just so many cute things out there that I just can't help myself. My shoe collection is terrifying, and all but a couple pairs are really high heels, but I can't stop myself. I love to look feminine and girly all the time, and have so much fun doing it.

I also agree about men's shopping. I'm happy to join them in the electronics portion, but all the rest I'm completely lost on. I don't even know how to change my own oil or reset the circuit breaker to the house. I'll leave that stuff up to the men folk, and stay focused on looking nice so that when they finish up the hard stuff, they'll have something they find pleasant to come back to.

You're right, sorry about that, Sally. Sometimes my little fingers don't type what my mind wants them to.

This is pretty much my thoughts on the matter. There are just so many cute things out there that I just can't help myself. My shoe collection is terrifying, and all but a couple pairs are really high heels, but I can't stop myself. I love to look feminine and girly all the time, and have so much fun doing it.

I also agree about men's shopping. I'm happy to join them in the electronics portion, but all the rest I'm completely lost on. I don't even know how to change my own oil or reset the circuit breaker to the house. I'll leave that stuff up to the men folk, and stay focused on looking nice so that when they finish up the hard stuff, they'll have something they find pleasant to come back to.

Syren!!! You sound totally adorable!!! I love your girlyness! You sound just like me cus, girl, I can't change my oil or anything like that either!! ;( & I get lost a lot too when driving I'm like "People tell me building not streets!" but shopping I've had too much clothes and have had to downsize to one closet it was overwhelming so I understand where you're coming from!

Guys like shopping too. I can spend hours in a fry's electronics or a Best Buy. My favorite is car shopping. I LOVE the thrill I get when I haggle and get to tango with the pushy car salesmen. I make it a 4 week process of frustrating and breaking the by then exhausted car salesmen so he is putty in my hands. I do not think I ever paid near MSRP for a vehicle in my life.

One of my favourite dates to take a girl on early in the relationship is window shopping in the mall. It usually does not cost anything and it has always seemed to work in my favour for early date points being a man who isn't afraid to stroll through victoria's secret and give her my opinion on a particular lotion sample.

3 people like this

Victorias secret?!? Thays not awkward?! I go through with girlfroends or my sister, but a bf?? I guess for his opinion on lotion or perfume, but ehhh idk

Sally I am a walking bag of awkward. I prefer awkward. I thrive on it :-D. Victoria's secret was just one example.

Now spencer's. THAT'S awkward!

Sally I am a walking bag of awkward. I prefer awkward. I thrive on it :-D. Victoria's secret was just one example.

ha! I love that - and will use that - a walking bag of awkward LOL!

( I don't even easily walk through those sections of big department stores haha )

oh... and for the record, I stand with ComputerFox... I've never met a woman who didn't secretly like a guy who would shop with her... ok admittedly not in ALL departments and not on the 1st date... but you know what I mean :-)

as such... I learned to shop early on :)

You GOTTA draw the line at holding the purse though. I will only do that after we're married ;-)

2 people like this

Haha wow I totally forgot about that place! I haven't been there in literally ages but I doubt it's changed much lol

Hey girls,

Another question: Can any of you girls explain to me why girls (stereotypically, of course) enjoy shopping so much? That's always bothered me. Thanks!

Because all women are materialistic and spoiled brats. I'm just kidding. I love women. In fact, my mom is a woman and I love her. As far as I know, she's still a woman :)

Seriously though. I actually like hanging around malls. Not because I buy anything, I just like the atmosphere. It feels peaceful to just get lost in the sea of people who are just relaxing. The only places I can spend a significant time in are gun stores and tech stores. I have no fashion sense so I wouldn't know what to do in a clothing store :)

I STILL dont get going into VS with a girlfriend....I dont thrivd on awkward lol and even if my bf did....I still feel weird :P

I'm crazy about Victoria's Secret. Even though no one but me is seeing what I buy, I just love it so much. I love feeling beautiful and confident about myself as a woman, and I suppose that includes everything I wear. I suffer the same problem as OHG, when I have to downsize my clothing it's so difficult. Probably doesn't help living in LA, so it's so easy to go shopping for new clothes and such every couple months. My bank account really doesn't like my shopping habits.

1 person likes this

Syren: my bank account really doesn't like my shopping habits... LOL!

Clothes shopping for me is just jeans, t-shirts and boots and takes me a whole 10 mins to do!

The womens underware section doesn't really bother me I'll walk through it to get to other departments by myself...

Bookshops are definately a favorite as are tool shops and outdoors/camping shops

So girls you go your way I'll go mine and we'll meet up for lunch :-P

Seriously though. I actually like hanging around malls. Not because I buy anything, I just like the atmosphere. It feels peaceful to just get lost in the sea of people who are just relaxing. The only places I can spend a significant time in are gun stores and tech stores. I have no fashion sense so I wouldn't know what to do in a clothing store :)

I'm kinda the opposite. I mean, I wouldn't mind shopping with my wife/gf at the mall. However, I wouldn't be able to stay in a mall for a long time (I can only take so much of the crowd scene before I feel burned out).

2 people like this

I love women. In fact, my mom is a woman and I love her. As far as I know, she's still a woman :)

Lol. I find your logic funny and awesome.

1 person likes this

I don't particularly enjoy shopping, only do it if I really have to and I tend to buy the first thing I like, just to get out as quickly as possible. I have the feeling none of my mates like shopping either as it is a pain to find someone to go with.

I don't know how it is in other places but girls where I live girls aren't too fussed about shopping :wacko: