Mike

Suggest Books

36 posts in this topic

Do you know of a book that should be on the Books page? Suggest it here and we'll get it added!

1 person likes this

The Forest of Hands and Teeth series is INCREDIBLE! It is written by Carrie Ryan and although the main characters have oppurtunities to get it on, they choose not to. Did I mention it's set generations after a zombie apocalypse?! It's a very exciting and thrilling series, I highly recommend it!

The book I'm suggesting is more for the teens that are waiting it's by melody Carlson it's a hole series it's "diary of a teenage girl " "book one Caitlin " "becoming me" it's also for Christian girls too there is like SIXX books to the series and there pretty good

This is in no way shape or form consider spam and me being spammer. Especially title and authors of it as well.

Here it is even though I take most of it with a gain of salt. Because of their political leanings and etc. Even though they are non profit and can't really promote their political leanings and etc.

Information on Women's Health & Sexuality-Our Bodies, Ourselves, Boston Women's Health Book Collective. They also have other books, a website, a couple of blogs and etc. And one of their bloggers on their one blog has her own blog.

Think thats it for now.

Please don't hesitate to reply to this and etc.

Torch red by melody Carlson

It's about a girl who struggles in high school with sex but in the end makes the right decision

Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan, and The Demonata by Darren Shan. Not even a mention of sex in the Cirque du Freak in all 13 books, and none in Demonata in all 10 or 11 books I can't remember how many there were.

1 person likes this

Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan, and The Demonata by Darren Shan. Not even a mention of sex in the Cirque du Freak in all 13 books, and none in Demonata in all 10 or 11 books I can't remember how many there were.

I love Cirque du Freak! The Darren Shan saga is awesome! I still haven't finished reading the Demonata series, though.

xxx

I love Cirque du Freak! The Darren Shan saga is awesome! I still haven't finished reading the Demonata series, though.

xxx

In my opinion the Demonata series ending was much better than the Cirque du Freak ending, but they were both amazing!!!

Have you read the Saga of Larten Crepsley? Frickin amazing.

Okay, I have both fiction and non-fiction to recommend here.   This will be the fiction list:

The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Orczy.   The main character in this story falls in love with a man who turns out to be the husband she's already married to.   I just love the story -- there are some funny parts in it, and there is clean romance.  Although the characters are already married, and there is no sex in the story, you get to see how they really do love one another, and it's just an enjoyable read.  There are no affairs or anything.  It's set during the French Revolution.

Thorn In My Heart, by Liz Curtis Higgs

Fair Is The Rose, by Liz Curtis Higgs

Whence Came A Prince, by Liz Curtis Higgs

This is a trilogy written by a Christian author who retells the story of Jacob and Essau, but really focuses in on the time when Jacob is working for Rachel and Leah's father.   (All the characters have different names in the story).  The author sets the story in the 1780's in Scotland.  I think I remember the years correctly.   Now, here's the thing -- although all of the characters are waiting until marriage to have sex, things do not work out exactly as planned.  Well, they do wait, but there is some trickery and deception involved...Mistakes are made....

I do feel that I need to warn other waiters about something:

Let me explain what goes on here because it's complicated.  Jacob loves Rachel and plans to marry her.   On the day of the wedding, Rachel is prevented from going because of the weather.   Rachel and Leah's father devises a plan to have Leah say the vows to Jacob as a proxy bride.  So Leah does.  Then Leah is convinced that her vows, although said in her sister's name, are valid reasons for having sex with Jacob.  She loves him, and she is deceived into thinking that she should visit him in the night.  She does -- and Jacob thinks that it is Rose come back, and Leah thinks that Jacob knows it is her and wants her....and so they have sex.  In the morning Jacob discovers it is Leah instead of Rachel....

There are a lot of twists -- but in the end the characters all learn what love is, and are faithful to one another.   Leah is punished for what happened, and she repents, and things work out okay in the end.   There is more I'm not saying, but I did want to talk about that wedding night because of the mistake made there.   Still, other than that, the characters are moral, and they do learn from their mistakes.   The series has a positive view of sex within marriage.  Sex outside of marriage is frowned on, and is certainly not encouraged in this book.   I really enjoyed reading this series.

Grace In Thine Eyes, by Liz Curtis Higgs

Again, a warning is needed.   This story is a retelling of the story of Jacob's daughter Dinah, also set in ScotlandIf you know the biblical story, then you will know that she is raped.   Obviously, she herself does not want to have sex before marriage, but it is taken from her.   This is going to be heavy subject matter, so be warned.   I'll let it up to the moderators whether or not they want to include this on the list.  I'm suggesting it because the story does portray sex outside of marriage as wrong, and it does deal with a reality that many women do have to face.   I imagine that there are many women who have intended to wait until marriage to have sex, only to have it taken from them.   The book is not graphic.  The author includes just enough detail that we know what is going on.

Here Burns My Candle, by Liz Curtis Higgs

Mine Is The Night, by Liz Curtis Higgs

These books are a retelling of the book of Ruth from the Bible, and it is set in Scotland as well, but a little bit earlier than the Jacob stories.   I don't think these are as well written as the Jacob stories, but they are still good.   The main character starts out being married to one man who isn't faithful to her, but she is faithful to him.   He is killed in battle, and she mourns for awhile, and then meets a really great guy who she falls in love with.  He also falls in love with her.   Their romance is moral, and they wait until they are married to have sex, as do the other couples in this story (well, except for the main character's first husband -- but we don't read the sex scenes, and his behavior is portrayed in a negative way.)

I will also include one warning here -- there is a character who tries to rape the main character, but he doesn't succeed.  She is able to push him away and stop him.  She send him packing.  This part seemed unnecessary to the plot to me, but it isn't graphic at all.  So just be warned about that.

Books by Tolkien:

The Silmarillion

The Hobbit

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of the King

The series isn't really based on a love story, but the love stories that are in them are clean and moral.   Aragorn and Arwen fell in love a long time ago, and waited years and years before they finally marry.  They do not have sex before their wedding.   The whole story is fun and entertaining.

The Love Comes Softly books, by Janette Oke:

Love Comes Softly

Love's Long Journey

Love's Enduring Promise

Love's Abiding Joy

Love's Unfolding Dream

Love Finds A Home

Love Takes Wing

Love's Unending Legacy

She is a Christian author, and these are the books that the movies are loosely based on.  I say loosely because the only movie that even came close to following the book was Love Comes Softly.  All the other movies only had a few character names and titles in common with the books.  The books and the movies are two completely different stories.    However, like the movies, all of the romances in these stories are moral.  There is no sex outside of marriage, and there is no pressure for the characters to engage in sex.  This is a good series.  :)

You might as well include all of the Harry Potter books -- there is no pre-marital sex in them.  The furthest any of the characters go is making out.  There is nothing inappropriate going on.

Oh, and also include Emma, by Jane Austen and also Sense and Sensibility

Those are all the fictional books that I can think of right now.

Here's my non-fiction book list:

Boundaries In Dating, by Henry Cloud and John Townsend

The Five Love Languages Singles Edition, by Gary Chapman

The Five Love Languages, by Gary Chapman

Boy Meets Girl, by Joshua Harris

When God Writes Your Love Story, by Eric and Leslie Ludy

When Dreams Come True, by Eric and Leslie Ludy

Authentic Beauty, by Leslie Ludy

Finding The Right One For You, by H. Norman Wright

Dating & Waiting, by William P. Risk

I Gave Dating A Chance, by Jeramy Clark

A Woman's High Calling, by Elizabeth George

A Woman After God's Own Heart, by Elizabeth George

Beautiful In God's Eyes, by Elizabeth George

Every Woman's Battle, by Shannon Ethridge

Knight In Shining Armor, by P. B. Wilson -- warning on this one.  This is generally a good book, but the author advocates too extreme a view for me regarding divorce.  While I am generally against divorce, I do think that if someone cheats on you habitually, or if someone is abusive, it is okay to get a divorce.  If someone is abusive, you're putting your life in danger if you stay with them.  Although the author does provide a solution, I'm not sure whether or not it is always feasible.  

Fighting For Your Marriage, by Markman, Stanley, and Blumberg

Divorce Busting, by Michele Weiner-Davis

War of Words, by Paul David Tripp

Everybody Wins, by Gary Chapman

I have read all of these books that I've just listed, and I can attest to the fact that all of these authors advocate waiting for marriage to have sex.  Most, but not quite all are Christian authors.  I have included some books on marriage too, as it is good for us singles to read about marriage so that we are prepared for it.

I have two books. The first is called Redeeming love and does deal with Christian topics but hear me out it is a really good book. It's about a young woman who was sold into prostitution at a young age and is shown love and is able to be redeemed. Its just a beautiful book.

Another one I like is the River of Time series by Lisa T. Bergren. She is a Christian author but her books are not in your face with her beliefs. Its about two sisters that travel back in time to medieval Italy. Its a book about love, family and loyalty and I think it is a must read.

Any book by Jason Evert.

My favorite is "How to Find Your Soulmate Without Losing Your Soul" 

1 person likes this

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. A clean sub-romance with one kiss.

Head Games by Mariah Fredericks. An unexpected book to be a romance. The two love characters share intimate thoughts and are friends before romance comes. They kiss a little, but that's it. Spoiler: The girl admits to being molested. No graphic details.

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. The phantom is so happy that Christine kissed him on the forehead, that he let her leave with Raoul, whom she loved and they had only kissed.

Claim To Fame by Margaret Peterson Haddix. A sub-romance, G-rated.

The Truth About Guys by Chad Eastham. He explains how guys think, and encourages saving sex for the wedding night.

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. NOT 50 SHADES RELATED. A world war 2 drama there is a small romance and they kiss. A mother is forced into prostitution to save her son, but no details are given.

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys. The protagonists mother is a prostitute  and she almost becomes one herself. But she remains a virgin and is dating a decent guy by the end.

The Magic Circle by Donna Jo Napoli. The main character had an unplanned pregnancy and never told the man because she was afraid of being rejected. This is mentioned in passing, but her daughter has a clean romance and the story focuses on the woman trying to remain good.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman. Only kisses. There is a small story afterward where Buttercup is pregnant and they both raise their daughter. I'm not sure if they were married, but I think sticking together and being prepared to raise a child counts as a spiritual marriage.

The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie. Tuppence and Tommy realize they love each other while solving a mystery. The relationship is clean and ends with their engagement. In other books, they are married and raising a family.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman. Only kisses. There is a small story afterward where Buttercup is pregnant and they both raise their daughter. I'm not sure if they were married, but I think sticking together and being prepared to raise a child counts as a spiritual marriage.

Yeah, it's not that clear whether they're married or not, but it's at least strongly hinted at (although, it's also hinted that Westley's not a virgin when they marry). But yeah, close enough, and it's a great book!

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. The phantom is so happy that Christine kissed him on the forehead, that he let her leave with Raoul, whom she loved and they had only kissed.

:)

xxx

You should definitely add my favorite series, The River of Time by Lisa T. Bergren! It is a wonderful, rich teen Christian fiction series with 3 books and 2 novellas. In it, two sisters travel back in time at an ancient Italian tomb to 1300s Italy. The setting is fabulous, and you really get a sense of what medieval Italy was like through the author's words. Anyway, the girls get separated during the time warp and wind up smack dab in the middle of a huge turf war between two prominent Italian lords. The main character, Gabby, is immediately smitten with one of the young lords-to-be, but he is already betrothed. She spends the first novel trying desperately to find her sister so that they can get back to their own time, and she can try to forget about the unavailable handsome knight, who seems to find her just as appealing. But if she ever did want to come back, could she? Or was it just a once-in-lifetime chance that she and her sister found that time portal?

I loved this story so much that I read it about five times in 2 months. I loved the love story of course, but also found the way the author wrote it to be an interesting gimmick. Since it's told from the perspective of a modern teen girl, her thoughts and feelings are written in typical teen girl fashion (ie. "I could tell he thought he was All That"), but the dialect she has to use to fit in is the medieval "M'lord, m'lady" kind of proper English. It's a book that also makes you think about things we take for granted. Like, how did they brush their teeth back then? It's definitely geared toward Christians, with the many references to God and the church, but it's not preachy at all. It's a great story, one that any girl (or girl-at-heart) will love!

Here are some very good books for any age that helps empower your decision to wait and have great relation ships!!

All the books I am talking about are by Dr. Laura Sclessinger. She is a listened psycotharipist known for her advise on relationships, moral and ethical issues.

1. 10 Stupid Things Men Do to Screw Up Their Lives, or 10 Stupid Things Women Do to Mess Up Their Lives. -Great book, the title is self explanatory! Really helped me to understand why women do what we do and what to avoid( didn't read the men's one cuz I'm a girl, sorry).

2. Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. -Great book to read before or after marriage. Helps us women keep our men happy and we are happier too!!!

3. 10 Stupid Things Couples Do to Mess Up Their Relationships. -Do one wants to do that!

4. How Could You Do That?! -A book about the three C's; character, conscience and courage, and how to keep them in your life!

5. Bad Childhood, Good Life. - need some childhood mending, this ones for you :)

6. Surviving a Shark Attack on Land. - A book about how to deal with betrayal!!

7. Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage. - Know how to make your marriage or future marriage work!

8. In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms. - For those ladies who want to stay home and raise their child :)

I'm sorry, these aren't books but I think some movies should be listed.

Edwards Scissorhands. The guy is so innocent. He gets one kiss.

Phantom of the Opera. I used to think they had sex, but then I actually watched the movie. They don't.

Easy A. The girl lies and says she lost her virginity. At the end, she's still and virgin and I like to think she waited till her wedding night.

Lost in Austen. The main character isn't a virgin, but the man she loves is. He forgives her and they only kiss.

Austenland. Only kisses.