Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PG1

Mental issues...

8 posts in this topic

There's quite a stigma on mental health issues, even today, but I want to bring it up...on a personal level. I would like to know how anyone feels. Ok, so I have been diagnosed with PTSD, OCD, depression, and severe anxiety. My counselor has also told me that I'm an empath. Which, after looking into it, I've realized is not just some imaginary magic power seen on tv, but that it really fits me. I run into a number of things because of it. 1. My moods are very affected by those I'm around, and more so when I'm emotionally connected. Sometimes making it hard for me to tell what I'm genuinely feeling, versus what I'm picking up from others. And 2. I lose myself very easily when I feel connected, wanting to make the person I'm with, even if only friends or family, happy and fulfill their needs. 

With all of this, it's difficult for me to really be just me. I think this is a problem, and I'm not sure how to avoid it. So, what I'm looking for is if any of you have similar thing So? How you cope? If you don't, do you know anyone...how do you feel about then, how do they cope?

I may edit as I think of a way to clarify what I'm actually looking for, but I think this is a good start.

Hi Liz,

. Hmm...empath huh? I think I can relate with your description of in the sense where when I feel connected to someone I tend to want to fulfill their needs without thinking about how I am feeling sometimes. It is something I am working on: having the capability to generally acknowledge my feelings during the moment. Not sure if this is what you meant by empath. 

i have also had PTSD and depression too so I can relate. I think what has helped me with these issues (besides counseling) is finding someone I can trust and telling them my feelings. Or, I have joined a support group. 

I have OCD and depression...

I am not really depressed at the moment, but it does make me sad believing that women couldn't be attracted to me because of my OCD. And I have been depressed because of the hopelessness that is sexless marriages and divorce. Just the thought that these two issues are initiated by the wife, and are completely outside of my ability to solve...

So... OCD... depression... Been there... done that...

But I've pretty much moved on past the depression phase and into the acceptance phase. Don't give up!

1 person likes this

I've never been diagnosed but I know I have some OCD tendencies, and I definitely know I have social anxiety. Depression does run in my family, my grandma had it and my mom has it as well (and my mom may be manic depressive). I think order and praying helps me alot. I also make myself go out, like to the store, by myself. I think I have gotten better over time.

I don't know if you're into poetry, but I've recently found this guy, Neil Hilborn. I've listened to a couple of his poetry readings, and they've hit me

9 minutes ago, samaye said:

I've never been diagnosed but I know I have some OCD tendencies, and I definitely know I have social anxiety. Depression does run in my family, my grandma had it and my mom has it as well (and my mom may be manic depressive). I think order and praying helps me alot. I also make myself go out, like to the store, by myself. I think I have gotten better over time.

I don't know if you're into poetry, but I've recently found this guy, Neil Hilborn. I've listened to a couple of his poetry readings, and they've hit me

OH yes. He is awesome. The way he thinks, that's the way it is a lot of the time for me. I'm not to the extreme that I say things a lot of times, but I do have a lot of the numbers things, and I do think the way he describes, a lot. Prayer and structure does help a lot of people...it doesn't me. I miss my meds, and it'll be another month or two before I am back on them. Honestly, I feel like I can't expect anyone to want me with this stuff going on in me. It's debilitating. I don't like it, and I wish I could do as some people say and just get over it, or even wish that what works for you worked for me. I really do. It does work for so many people. I wonder, sometimes, 'why doesn't that stuff work for me'. It's also why I'm quiet around people...because once I get started I will talk endlessly just repeating myself because I am worried that I'm not being clear. So, I say things the same way, or in different ways, until I feel I've got it right. Of course, I'm usually stopped by someone before I feel it's right. Which is probably a good thing because I probably would never get there...and now I've realized I've done that right here. Sorry. Oh, and I apologize...profusely.

@PhotoGirl and that's the weird/amazing thing about the human brain. Not everything works for everybody, because the brain works differently for everyone. No need to apologise :)

I guess, OCD and depression are not much serious issues and we can move on after that. Yoga, exercises, and meditation can help a lot. Seek the help of a counselor.

Can’t agree with the previous commenter. Depression is a rather serious disease, it needs medical treatment and professional help. Depression poisons one’s life, we need special support during this mental state, otherwise things will get worse. My sister managed to overcome it due to Canadian Pharmacy Online , but I still think one needs a doctor during depression.