Mike

Suggest Movies & TV Shows

25 posts in this topic

This is the place to suggest new Movies and TV Shows! Just reply to this topic to suggest a movie/show.

In One Tree Hill, there is ONE good example of people dating and not going farther than making out----Marvin "Mouth" McFadden and Millicent "Millie". It's not until Seasons 5 and 6 that they are together but it's great! She's a virgin, while he is not, but he is very respectful and he truly cares about her. That is SO rare to find I just HAD to share!!! :D

1 person likes this

Btw, they ALSO sleep together but literally cuddle not "other stuff" eeeeee.....guess what show I've been catching up on tonight :P

7th Heaven...but kinda old.

Kind odd how?

Also, thanks for the tip, Sally! I'm thinking of starting a "fictional characters that are virgins" section that those One Tree Hill characters would be great for. Do you think it's overall a good show for waiters, or mainly just that one part of it?

Mike: Naturally said "old" not "odd" lol! :P Just those characters, Millie specifically. Otherwise, it's not. Most people sleep together in serious relationships, but there are hook ups too....

Sure, np!

It goes on to have Millie have sex with a random guy to help get over Marvin. They are about to get back together (she didn't think that would happen) and it shows a great example of how much of a big deal sex is and how it's best when saved for the right person.

two songs that should be are You're Not Gonna Score by Untamed and We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off by Jermaine Stewart

1 person likes this

Great suggestions, Stephie!

I need to show Sally how to add these. She's going to be our Queen of Songs. I'll try to make you a little howto video this weekend, Sally.

I'm sure this is mentioned somewhere else on the site, but I didn't see it here so... this may be a little too corny for some folks, but Pushing Daisies is worth a look. It is a really sweet TV show about a couple who literally can't even touch each other. It really speaks to the inner romantic.

@Guest_Elise - RIGHT ON! Pushing Daisies is my personal favorite! It's already at the top of the list.

Fireproof is one of Kirk Cameron's movies that I have seen--and it is a wonderful movie!! At least if you're into Christian romance :P

3 people like this

In OTH Haley and Nathan are a good example of a couple working through one partners sexual past. Nathan got around a lot in high school and Nathan was Haleys one and only...

1 person likes this

I just want to point out that The Princess Diaries should maybe not be on the WTM list because there IS sex in the book series when Mia is 18 years old. So I am therefore assuming that she is not a virgin in the second movie. Of course the books are completely different from the movies, as Mia loses her virginity to her boyfriend whom she has loved since second grade. In the movies she and Michael break up prior to the start of the second movie.

1 person likes this

Old thread... Ill post anyway :DD

No movies to suggest, but I can suggest one to stay away from if anti WTM movies offend you. Stay away from the movie called The Big C, at one point this smart girl says to a guy she's been helping study that she wants to sleep with him not because she's attracted but because she doesn't want to be a virgin in college. I got bored with the movie so I never saw the outcome.

The Love Comes Softly movies -- they are set in the past, the books that they are loosely based on were written by a Christian author, and there is no pre-marital sex.    All of the characters wait until marriage, and are very honoring towards one another.  Good values.

I'm a big fan of PBS and all of the British shows that PBS shows.   Most of what they show on Masterpiece is moral, although there are a few shows they have shown that I would not recommend due to the lack of morals on the part of the main characters.

Right now my local PBS station is showing Midsummer Murders on Thursdays, which are fun mysteries.  The main characters are moral.   It's the bad guys who are often immoral, but the show does not portray that kind of behavior as being positive.

They've shown things like Inspector Lewis, Miss Marple, Poirot, and Foyle's War, all of which generally show the main characters as being moral.  Again, bad guys might not be, but it isn't positive...

Another PBS Masterpiece show --

Downton Abbey -- Now, there are a couple of things here....one of the main characters, Mary did have pre-marital sex once.  However, I consider that time to be near rape.  The reason I say this is because  this guy who was staying at her family estate made unwelcome advances towards her earlier, and she told him no.   Then he had one of the servants lead him to her bedroom at night, and just showed up.  She told him no, but he wouldn't listen to her.   In the end she was willing, but it might have been because she didn't feel she had any other choice.   Anyway, this haunts her for the rest of season 1 and 2, and there are consequences for what happened.   So this wasn't exactly seen as a positive thing.

Also, Mary's father was making inappropriate advances towards a maid, and she was making advances towards him too.   Although they kissed and made out, he ultimately breaks it off with her before they undress.  She resigns her position and leaves the house afterwards.   This too is seen as a bad thing.

All other romances in the show have the characters waiting until marriage or have them ultimately honor wedding vows that they have made.   So, this is why I would include it in the list.  The show also portrays marital sex in a positive way -- as seen between Mary and the man that she eventually marries.

Oh, I just found the place where the list of TV shows and movies are listed to vote on.  Some of my suggestions are already on the list :)   Cool.

I'd also like to add Doctor Who -- anything Tenth Doctor or before (so of the new ones seasons 1-4).   I haven't seen much of the Eleventh Doctor, and what I have seen of him I don't like.   In seasons 1-4, so maybe you will want to list each of these seasons separately in the list.....there is a character named Rose who falls in love with the Doctor, and the Doctor loves her.  They never have sex or get physical in any way, but anyone watching it can see the love between them. 

I feel like I do have to say that Rose left a boyfriend to go and travel with the Doctor.  There is a suggestion made in season 1 towards the end that Rose would have been willing to have pre-marital sex with her boyfriend, but they don't end up doing that because he tells her he is dating someone else.   I cannot say that Rose is a committed waiter, but I do think that her love and relationship with the Doctor is clean and moral.

So it isn't exactly a waiter show, but it is a fun show, and it does not feature the main characters as having sex outside of marriage.  I think the author is neutral on the subject -- not promoting it directly, but not speaking against it either.   I don't think the writers would have a problem with it, but they see Doctor Who as more of a family show, so they didn't have that going on.

Like I said, I don't know what's going on in seasons 5+, so I cannot recommend them.

Oh, and there is another version of the movie Emma, which is a Miramax one with Gwyneth Paltrrow -- I'm not sure of the year, but I think it's older than the others listed on the TV show/movie voting list.

I'm not looking at the list now, but I did notice that individual titles to the Love Comes Softly series were listed...so if you haven't already listed these, then please include them:

Love Comes Softly

Love's Enduring Promise

Love's Long Journey

Oh, and I have to list The Lord of the Rings movies as well:

Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

Return of the King

There is a love story between Aragorn and Arwen that I just love.  It's a fun story, and there is no sexual immorality or premarital sex anywhere in the story. Granted, the main story isn't a love story between two characters, but most people will enjoy these movies.

And if I'm going to include those, then I might as well also include the Star Wars movies.

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith

A New Hope

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The love stories in these movies -- between Anakin and Padme, and Leia and Han are clean.  There is no pre-marital sex.  The farthest anyone goes is kissing.  Although Anakin is obsessed with Padme, and I wouldn't say that his love is healthy the way he expresses himself, he doesn't sleep with her before his wedding.   Also, viewers must excuse the skimpy clothing that they put Leia towards the beginning of Return of the Jedi.  

You might as well include the Harry Potter movies as well, as the furthest any character goes in romantic relationships is kissing.  These are fun stories, too.

All right -- that seems to be all I can think of right now.  I'm sure that there are more.

I have a TV show character. Amy from Everybody Loves Raymond. She didn't WTM but she DID wait until the right guy. She lost her virginity to Robert at around age 35-37. They began to date when she was 33 and they dated for at least two years before having sex. They did break-up at some point but they got back together and married and he is the only man she ever slept with. None of the other characters judged her badly for her virginity. And even though she was a virgin until at least age 35 she wasn't judgmental of others. She wasn't the stereotypical virgin, all preachy and stuff. This was just her life decision and everyone around her respected it.  

1 person likes this

So, the new Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a movie.  In the movie, we learn that Captain America hasn't kissed a woman since he was frozen in the 1940's.  He has a mild flirtation with the Black Widow.  But, they depict Captain America as a gentleman and essentially he's abstinent.  His approach to women is very sweet.  So, that movie made me feel good about being a waiter. 

6 people like this

Old- Fashioned.

It's a new movie. A former frat boy decides to save sex for marriage meets a girl who isnt waiting. 

He kisses her cheek after he proposes to her and that's as far as they go. He won't even be alone in the same room as a woman (within reason) unless she's his wife. It's actually a very sweet love story with healing and forgiveness. Worth watching.

The wedding planner with Jennifer Lopez.

I likeeeeeee this movie !

Because they save sex for marriage and also because of the integrity of Jennifer Lopez in the movie.

She refuses to betray and to act upon her feelings even if she's in love.

BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this