Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mixed Marriages???

4 posts in this topic

I don't know if this topic has been done before yet, and if it has I apologize. I was really curious on people's thoughts regarding mixed marriages. Where the husband and wife share different faiths and raise their children with religious 'freedom'. 

Do you feel that mixed marriages are ok? Do you feel that a mixed marriage would survive all the difficulties of raising a family? Do you think it is possible for two people of differing faiths to understand and accept their spouse's faith? And do you think you could ever marry a person of a different faith (converting or not)?

Now I can already hear all the spines cracking on people's bibles, and the rocks being gathered to cast the first stone. Bear in mind that this post is not designed for others to unleash their hatred for another religion by saying it is a blasphemous thought, or for people to preach to those who do think it is to have a mixed marriage. 

I personally come from a mixed marriage family, as do my parents. My father's parents were Catholic (Grandfather) and Lutheran (Grandmother) while my mother's parents were non-religious (Grandfather) and Jehova's Witness (Grandmother). My father was raised Catholic and my mother was raised Jehova's Witness, and when my parents married my mother converted to Catholicism. 

My siblings and I were all raised Catholic but were also taught that there were many roads to God. Through the years we have all learned to trust in our own faith. Myself converting to Christisnity, my brother converting is Islam, and both of our sisters remaining Catholic. When we go home for holidays or to see one another, we don't see religion we just see the people we have always loved. 

I have always believed that love transcends religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, and so much more. Love is what keeps my family and I together. I personally have no problem marrying a woman of a different religion because my faith is my own.if we had children I wouldn't force our children to share my faith and I wouldn't want to. I would want them to freely choose their own path to God, and to trust that He loves them far more than I ever could. 

Sure there would be difficulties, like going to church for example. Another would be teaching them that all roads lead to the same place, something i'm sure not everyone agrees with. Then there are the religious holidays and family members that wouldn't agree or approve of our marriage. In all honesty, my parents could care less who I marry as long as that person made me happy.

I'm not here to advocate for one religion over another or to say you should agree with my beliefs on mixed marriages. Everyone had their own beliefs on this topic and reasons for why they feel that way. 

1 person likes this

On 2/10/2017 at 5:19 PM, Guest said:

if we had children I wouldn't force our children to share my faith and I wouldn't want to. I would want them to freely choose their own path to God, and to trust that He loves them far more than I ever could. 

I feel similar I would never want to force God on my kids, if i ever have any. I would want them to choose Him on their own.

Do you feel that mixed marriages are ok? Do you feel that a mixed marriage would survive all the difficulties of raising a family?

It depends on a lot. Some people are of a certain faith because it's in their family but they do not live and practice it. there are others who are of a certain faith because it is just a habit they have known their entire life. For these types, i would imagine it would be less of an issue but certainly be important to discuss the differences before they marry.

For the followers and devote types that are different, I think it becomes a lot more risky. If they are both in love and talk about their difference before they get married, i believe they stand a better chance. They would have to agree on how they are going to support each other and what they will do if they have kids.

Do you think it is possible for two people of differing faiths to understand and accept their spouse's faith?

I think it is incredible how your family is so accepting and loving. Religion is usually a huge deal for so many families that it can often cause massive rifts. I can tell you, i dont think that is the norm but some families can do that.It seems like your family has done this through the love they have for one another. I definitely admire this and like i said before...it is an amazing quality we should all strive towards.

And do you think you could ever marry a person of a different faith (converting or not)?

I dont know. Personally, I would have to really look into and investigate whether or not it is a sin. Off the top of my head i dont think it is an issue depending on the religion. any kind of demonic, voo doo stuff, no, I could not marry that. I dont believe a catholic or jew would not be a problem for me...Not to get too off topic, but lets say there are people who think there is one way to get into heaven and your spouse wont get into heave because they believe the wrong thing....I would say well you're not going to know because there is no sadness in heaven so you might not even realize they are missing. You're just going to be focused on worshiping God for eternity. So if your spouse can support you and help you hear on earth, then who cares