LookingForTheOne

Getting married without a marriage license? (See details)

See details.   10 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Yes
    • Only if a prospective spouse requires it
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 posts in this topic

Note that by this I do not mean cohabitation. I talk about relationships in which the spouses do consider themselves married/committed, but without a license or state recognition.

What do you think, and would you agree to a relationship like this?

no i don't like the idea your not rarely married, you just think you are that's odd, in my opinion, it is not my cu of tea

I don't know if it's the popular answer here, but my reaction would be no.

The commitment level is clearly commendable - and if it's that way, then finish the step and make it proper/legal - it should be done as much for the range of legal and financial reasons if nothing else, as well of course as part of right-before-God/taking care of each other steps - and that's not even dealing with the moral and emotional reasons for getting married! :-)

3 people like this

I would only want to get married if we could promise ourselves to each other fully. So if he wasn't willing to sign that paperwork, take the blood tests, and become my lawfully wedded husband... Than no... It's not an option. Heart and soul are of course the most important, but if you can't sign your name to a document promising us to one another, than how can I trust that your heart and soul is only something that you share with me?

No. Speaking from personal experience, I know a couple that got married in the church, but did not file the paperwork. I was at the wedding, and I was good friends with both.

It didn't work out. They're now "divorced", and now the former wife is pregnant out of wedlock with another man's baby.

People in general are just incapable of committing to anything, right?

Cheers,

Yep, I'm with everyone else on this...

Of course, there are two aspects of marriage. There's the legal side of marriage and the spiritual side of marriage. So, legally, you could be married without being spiritually married, for example, if you don't believe in God and therefore don't get married in a church. Obviously, when you get married in a church, you tend to sign all the papers and stuff at the same time so you're also legally married.

So, for me, it wouldn't be so much, do they want us to get married without a licence, as, do they want us to get married outside of the church. In which case, my answer would definitely be no, since I really don't care about being married in the eyes of the state, only in the eyes of God...

xxx

1 person likes this

Get married without a marriage licence? I don't get it. Do you mean common-law marriage?

Get married without a marriage licence? I don't get it. Do you mean common-law marriage?

I speak of arguments like these. The author argues that since the state goes against biblical marriage, Christians should not get a marriage license or something.

I know that that probably doesn't apply to you since you don't believe in God, but I'm sure atheists, too, can and sometimes do marry without state recognition.

I don't know much about common-law marriage or if this set-up qualifies as one.

Hmm...that was an interesting read. I mean I kinda see what he's saying but I still think its a little ridiculous

Same boat as everyone else here, especially Jegs. While marriage is more than a contract, the contractual element is a must. So yeah, I need that "piece of paper"

It doesn't matter to me. With or without, it is your life so I think you should get to choose how to marry. I, personally, want a marriage licence but I also know couples who never got married but they have been together for many years (one couple has been together for 21 years,) and they call each other husband and wife, and say they are married. That's fine by me. They've lasted longer than most legally married people I know. lol. Either way, marriage is marriage. It's how you choose to live your lives together that constitutes a marriage, not a piece of paper (in my opinion.)

I prefer to make it legal only because it would seem like a "binding" contract that we are both agreeing to versus not having anything to back up our marriage even if back in the old days they didn't have the legality of marriage through paperwork and what not but now days it is necessary.