Will H

How would you feel about the wife being the spiritual leader of the family?

8 posts in this topic

I think many people, particularly in the Christian faith, have an expectation that the husband in a marriage is the spiritual leader of the family. How would you feel if the wife was the spiritual leader of the family instead? 

This might be for a number of reasons. Perhaps the wife has a more dominant personality and generally takes more leadership roles. Perhaps the husband has less religious education. Or perhaps the husband is a recent convert and the wife is a lifelong person of faith.

1 person likes this

Biblically, the household would be out of order if the wife is the head of the family. In spite of the wife's personality or the husband's level of biblical knowledge, there's a distinct responsibility given to each spouse. The husband has to perform his role, even if it means that one has to do a lot of catch up work.

2 people like this

I don't see any reason why a wife can't be the spiritual leader of the family.

I think whichever spouse is stronger in their faith should be the spiritual leader of the family regardless of whether they're the husband or wife.

3 people like this

On 12/26/2016 at 3:55 PM, Buster Cannon said:

Biblically, the household would be out of order if the wife is the head of the family. In spite of the wife's personality or the husband's level of biblical knowledge, there's a distinct responsibility given to each spouse. The husband has to perform his role, even if it means that one has to do a lot of catch up work.

What would you say would be the consequences of an out of order house if the wife was the spiritual leader?

Growing up, my Mom was the one in charge of us children for religious and spiritual purposes. Though he attended Mass as much as he could with us, my Daddid not go through baptism, first Communion and confirmation until I was in middle school. Reason being, it was hard for him to attend the RCIA classes before that time, do to work. I feel like he is still learning with us, though I do look up to him.

Personally, I don’t see any reason why women should not be spiritual leaders of a family or church. I take into account the period and cultural differences during biblical times.

Back then human populations were extremely low. A big family had many advantages for survival and it made sense for everyone to have specific roles. The primary roles of women, was to marry, have kids, cook, and clean.

Also, look at how different women are today:

1)      Today, women are expected to go to school and get educated. This was definitely not the norm back then.

2)      Today, women can have many different types of jobs and even authoritative ones. This also was definitely not the norm back then.

3)      In biblical times, women could get married at 12 to 14 years old. Totally illegal today.  

4)      1 Timothy 2:9-11, says women should dress modestly, not wear gold or pearls, not have elaborate hair styles, and must learn in quietness and full submission.

If you walk into many churches today, you will see a lot of women are not modestly dressed when compared to biblical customs, they will be wearing some sort of jewelry, will have their more expensive Sunday clothes on, and fully participating or leading small groups/classes within the church.  

But women still should not be spiritual leaders of a family? That does not make sense to me because we have accepted so many changes in gender norms. So why not this one?  Also, what if she is smarter than her husband, what if she is much wiser than her husband? what if her biblical knowledge is vastly more in depth? Is she suppose to coach him through the entire process..? That just sounds silly to say she cant lead her family bc of her gender.

God will want the best person to lead their family closer to him. He is not going to care if that is a man or a women. He is going to care about the family leading a Godly life, serving the needy, and growing closer to Him.

2 people like this

I like pizza.

but honestly I believe when it comes

to spiritual leadership it has to be done by both. Children look up to both their father and mother, they should be equal in their spiritual leadership.

I'm not sure if you're looking for specifically Christian input, but my perspective is different. In Norse and in occult traditions, there isn't the same spiritual leader concept as in Christianity. In terms of inculcating spiritual tradition in children, there is a certain expectation that it is a team effort and partnership, both mother and father being responsible.

There are exceptions, of course, due to pragmatic considerations. If, for example, the mother is spiritual, but the father is not, the mother most often teaches the children on her own time, and it's more or less agreed (even if silently) that the father will stay more or less out of the way. The pragmatic concern that's been mentioned here of one being stronger in faith than the other is mirrored somewhat in what I'm describing, as it would come down to whoever has the most knowledge to pass on.

Still, the ideal, at least in my consideration, would be a team effort. One of my criteria in choosing a wife is actually someone with whom I can share the role, so that it is a partnership and not merely a task for my own time without support. But that's my own little version of marriage of equals.

1 person likes this