Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
'tis the Bearded One

Users deleting threads

Users deleting threads   2 members have voted

1. 1. Should users be allowed to delete their own threads?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should users be allowed to wholesale delete posts (rather than removing via edit)?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 post in this topic

i remember there was a thread on this put it seems it was deleted...how ironic <_<

i was going to post this in the announcements and feedback section but I (and others) can't reply there atm so here it is.

Since the upgrade users can delete the threads they created without the consent of admins. Considering we have the option of deleting our posts, I find the option of deleting entire threads useless, annoying, and infringing. If someone has been quoted and wants that removed it shouldn't be a problem to request moderators to do so. If they anticipate it in the future they could even state at the start of the post not to quote and moderators can remove at will if someone violates the request. 

Deleting threads removes valuable content and stifles discussion. (Though it could be permissible until another user posts in the thread. I imagine the coding for this would be a bit more complex though) Already at least one user on leaving has deleted all their threads -  which obviously prevents them being used for further discussion and also results in other users loosing whatever posts/content they contributed to that thread. 

The second question relates to users being able to delete wholesale their posts without any trace left except for quotes by others. If there wasn't any quoting this can result in some schizophrenic impressions.....the ability to edit, and the ability of moderators to wholesale delete user posts(?) should negate the need for this user option.

Bear also in mind that it can be a security concern: imaging someone hacks your account and deletes all your content. Imagine if someone did it to our top contributors like @Invincible with over 2,000 posts and over 125 threads.... :(

Don't know if or how quickly the powers that be might respond to any requests for modification but it would help to have opinions expressed anyway. 

1 person likes this