'tis the Bearded One

No "wedding dress" for your wedding??!

17 posts in this topic

Hello ladies,

I've been wondering for a while....

In the west most wedding dresses are white, partly to represent the bride's purity though that tradition is (mostly) not followed and isn't the original reason for the white dress either (see http://forums.waitingtillmarriage.org/topic/2670-white-wedding-dress/#comment-38301 &

)  and are specifically designed for weddings. Don't get me wrong, some of them are gorgeous though I'd like a bit of colour....

My query is: why not spend the money on a nonetheless beautiful dress (not classified as a wedding dress) that you could reasonable wear for special times after the wedding, say a wedding anniversary date-night? Would you want to be able to add more memories to the dress (assuming you aren't renting it)? Many wedding dresses don't allow comfortably for even ballroom dancing so would you simply have it modified post-wedding if you wanted to reuse it?

I have little insight but I would suspect wedding dresses have that added "sucker" price-tag so you might even be able to get a prettier one for the same price.

Bonus question: do any of you fancy the idea of making your own wedding dress?

Came across this (http://restlessgrace.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/10-things-to-know-about-making-my-own.html). I kind of liked the idea of using one's wedding dress material leftovers for lingerie....

I eagerly await your thoughts :D

That's why I love beach wedding dresses, they are more practical to dance in (because you have to be able to walk on the beach with it) and they are fairly inexpensive. You can always add a colored sash, but the bouquet is pretty colorful too. There are alot of women who do colored dresses as well. I being Catholic though, will go with the traditional white. Maybe if they like it, my future daughter or future daughter in law would like to wear it. As far as making my own dress, I would rather buy one. There are so many other things that need to prepare for.

3 people like this

Coloured sash is a great idea! So are you planning on using your wedding dress on other occasions post-wedding?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, 'tis the Bearded One said:

Coloured sash is a great idea! So are you planning on using your wedding dress on other occasions post-wedding?

Truthfully, I don't know. I guess it would depend on how fancy or simple I get it. 

On 25 September 2016 at 11:34 PM, samaye said:

Truthfully, I don't know. I guess it would depend on how fancy or simple I get it. 

If it's really fancy I guess your hubby will just have to take you to really fancy places to wear it again B)

On 26 September 2016 at 10:41 AM, kelli1993 said:

I plan on framing mine

:o This is the first I've heard of something like that! Interesting :P

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, 'tis the Bearded One said:

If it's really fancy I guess your hubby will just have to take you to really fancy places to wear it again B)

:o This is the first I've heard of something like that! Interesting :P

Here's a couple other things we could do with the dress as well:

https://www.babble.com/home/25-ways-to-recycle-your-wedding-dress/

1 person likes this

I would like to design my own wedding dress (and get someone else to sew it for me ).

However there are retailers like Modcloth and ASOS who sell wedding dresses at a low price. I use to watch alot of Say Yes To The Dress and couldn't imagine spending thousands on a dress I'll only wear for one day. 

Then I'll either donate the dress or if possible sew it into another dress that can be worn to special occasions but maybe not weddings if the dress is white.

I honestly would prefer to wear a black wedding dress cause I dislike wearing white lol but then part of me thinks it might be bad luck. 

2 people like this

7 hours ago, Daydreamer said:

I would like to design my own wedding dress (and get someone else to sew it for me ).

However there are retailers like Modcloth and ASOS who sell wedding dresses at a low price. I use to watch alot of Say Yes To The Dress and couldn't imagine spending thousands on a dress I'll only wear for one day. 

Then I'll either donate the dress or if possible sew it into another dress that can be worn to special occasions but maybe not weddings if the dress is white.

I honestly would prefer to wear a black wedding dress cause I dislike wearing white lol but then part of me thinks it might be bad luck. 

You can always do a dress that's white with black accents

1 person likes this

I have found some cute white dresses on unique vintage though they are often classified as prom dresses, but I can see them work. 

1 person likes this

I've been thinking lately that I don't want my wedding dress to be white.

I'm considering pink or blue with a lot of colorful flowers. I know most people would say they're too much but it matches my theme (why do I have a theme and no man?) and I just love them! But I'd probably have to change for the reception. I really want the person I'm marrying to have a big family and a lot of friends because as of right now, I feel like I don't know enough people to justify being this extravagant. 

58b3097c58a02c003305a1b0e6548168.jpge920c6ecf3600420f37980dd282c1426.jpg

Mine would be much more pastel though.

3 people like this

On 12/25/2016 at 1:25 AM, Faeries said:

why do I have a theme and no man?

Lol - Build it and they will come?? Nice dress, though I'd personally prefer a darker blue.

1 person likes this

For me personally I choose an elegant Rustic White Dress as to show my purity. I don't want another colour because that's what White represents to me. I do plan to have a second dress for the reception. I love soft colours so I'd still have an elegant dress but it would be a dress I can rewear on like a 1year anniversary or some other time. But the White dress for the ceremony is a must for me. 

2 people like this

7 hours ago, Jasmine23 said:

For me personally I choose an elegant Rustic White Dress as to show my purity. I don't want another colour because that's what White represents to me. I do plan to have a second dress for the reception. I love soft colours so I'd still have an elegant dress but it would be a dress I can rewear on like a 1year anniversary or some other time. But the White dress for the ceremony is a must for me. 

Your dress sounds like it will be beautiful. 

I like the idea of wearing my dress again at my 10th, 20th, and 30th anniversaries, as we may have a family party for these milestone anniversaries. I would have it altered each time to have a different shape/ style as I age.

1 person likes this

On Saturday, January 07, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Faeries said:

Your dress sounds like it will be beautiful. 

I like the idea of wearing my dress again at my 10th, 20th, and 30th anniversaries, as we may have a family party for these milestone anniversaries. I would have it altered each time to have a different shape/ style as I age.

Thank you I live your idea to haven't altered! I'm doing that for my prom dress for our 10 year reunion! 

1 person likes this

I'm not sure what kind of dress I'm going to want. That will depend on the type of ceremony we have. I do know I want it to be white. Even though it's not the original purpose of the white dress. I like the idea because white is the absence of color. Which, when you think about it, is kind of symbolic. However I do have a dress I designed when I was very young, that I'd like to have made...I'd make it myself, and I do sew, but my skills aren't at that level. I actually designed it so its two layers, maybe three, and the bottom layers are removable for the reception and for whatever any occasion if I should choose.

1 person likes this