lexxy53

Seeking Pleasures of the Flesh

10 posts in this topic

Hey! I had a quick question about this

I know that one of the reasons that we as Christians are called to WTM is that we are not supposed to seek the immediate pleasures of the flesh, which would include giving in to the temptations of sex.

Now, once you're married, of course when you're having sex you are not just having it for yourself, but you are becoming one with your husband/wife and want to be intimate with them and please them, but will probably be moments when the two of you will have passionate sex (because you want to) or when one of the two of you will feel more of a libido and the other person will respect that and fulfil his/her needs when possible (as God tells us to). 

My question now is, when you are asking your partner to fulfil a sexual desire or are enjoying sex loads (which lets face, you probably will a LOT) isn't that also seeking pleasures of the flesh? How is that aspect of it not a sin anymore once you're married? 

Thanks!

http://www.compellingtruth.org/God-pleasure.html

Here is a pretty good article on a biblical view on pleasure. Basically there is good kind of pleasure that God will bless and bad kinds that God condemns. God gave us taste buds to enjoy delicious food and ears to listen to beautiful music. Those are certainly good things. But when we over eat or listen to music with a bad message, then obviously that would be sinful. Even good pleasures can be sinful if they become idols that you seek after above God.

When it comes to sex, God clearly condemns sexual immorality (fornication, sex with a elephant etc). But God did make sex to be inherently pleasurable and that is a good reason for two people to strengthen bonds. But it must be within a marriage. In fact, the Apostle Paul encourages lots of sex within marriage as a way to resist sexual temptation that may occur outside of marriage.

Have lots of sex and enjoying it within marriage is good in the eyes of God and in fact is even commanded. But even then it may still be a sin if sex is more important to you than God.

Catholics would probably say it's a sin.

No, Catholics are allowed to have sex for pleasure. They just can't intentionally try to circumvent a pregnancy in the process.

6 people like this

Catholics would probably say it's a sin.

Nope. Having sex just for the enjoyment of it is fine. You don't have to be, like, actively trying to get pregnant, or something. Just having sex because you were Netflixing and chilling and suddenly you were in the mood is fine.

When it comes to sex, God clearly condemns sexual immorality (fornication, sex with a elephant etc). 

I lol'd.

xxx

8 people like this

Hebrews 13:4

"Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge."

You're overthinking this I think. You're married, sex is a gift from God, it's ok to have a strong desire for your spouse.

1 person likes this

Hebrews 13:4

"Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge."

You're overthinking this I think. You're married, sex is a gift from God, it's ok to have a strong desire for your spouse.

As a Catholic, I'd say that this is the "ultimate" "reason for sex". Sex is meant to be the ultimate union between wife and husband. As such, when you're married, sex is the finalizing of the bond between you and your spouse. As such, it's seen as a sin when it's outside this situation.

That does mean that between "playing in the straw every moment" and "never doing it", two extremes, there's the "right way in between". ;)

2 people like this

Thanks for all the answers :) the thing is, I don't exactly think that my question has been answered! (sorry!)

I wasn't trying to ask whether having sex just for pleasure is a sin. What I meant was: when you're unmarried not having sex is a way to not give your flesh immediate pleasure and search for things that are more important (relationships, true love, a relationship with God, etc) but isn't seeking sex in a marriage when you feel like it the same as also just seeking immediate pleasures? (since when you're in the mood and you're married you'll just go for it). What I'm asking is: why is this not considered 'seeking pleasures of the flesh'? 

I'm curious about the premise of your question: where do you see that scripture condemns seeking the pleasures of the flesh? I looked for a scriptural reference, and I didn't find one, but perhaps you're referring to a broader teaching that relies on a number of passages.

I do see scriptural warnings against the lust of the flesh (2 Tim. 3:4) and against being a slave to pleasure (Titus 3:3). Those passages don't seem to condemn the pleasures of the flesh, but rather unbridled desire that has no regard for Christ's authority. Given the Bible's joyful depictions of pleasure in feasting, dance, and sex, I'd hesitate to claim that seeking the pleasures of the flesh is sinful.

1 person likes this

No, it's not a sin. Are you married? Is this your spouse? It is not a sin.

You seem to be coming at this from the perspective of if you aren't focused on having a child while you're doing it than you are sinning.

It's only a sin when you do it outside of God's law which is doing it outside of marriage. If you are married, if you are faithful to your spouse then you are within God's intent. It's okay to have mad desire for your spouse and want hot, intense, wild passionate sex on a regular basis. I attempted to answer to you with scripture "Marriage is honorable in all and the bed undefiled..."

You're only getting into areas of sin if you direct your sexual desires and needs at others who are not your spouse or you put sex ahead of God.

God designed sex and made it for marriage. As long as you are married and  your direct all of your sexual desires to your spouse than you're good. Have you read Song of Solomon?

Thanks for all the answers :) the thing is, I don't exactly think that my question has been answered! (sorry!)

I wasn't trying to ask whether having sex just for pleasure is a sin. What I meant was: when you're unmarried not having sex is a way to not give your flesh immediate pleasure and search for things that are more important (relationships, true love, a relationship with God, etc) but isn't seeking sex in a marriage when you feel like it the same as also just seeking immediate pleasures? (since when you're in the mood and you're married you'll just go for it). What I'm asking is: why is this not considered 'seeking pleasures of the flesh'? 

much like the others above have correctly stated, i think that for Christians, once you are married, sex isn't seen as a "sin" anymore because even though sex is pleasurable and could be literally construed as 'seeking pleasure in flesh', the idea is that this form of pleasure is now deemed OKAY in the Christian religion because it is held within the sacrament of marriage and within that holy form of unity between 2 people... i think the clarification is that people should not be seeking pleasures of the flesh outside of a marital relationship but that it's ok, within reason, to seek pleasure within a marriage because that is the only place sex is meant to be had.

others, please feel free to correct that if i'm mistaken!

2 people like this

I'm curious about the premise of your question: where do you see that scripture condemns seeking the pleasures of the flesh? I looked for a scriptural reference, and I didn't find one, but perhaps you're referring to a broader teaching that relies on a number of passages.

I do see scriptural warnings against the lust of the flesh (2 Tim. 3:4) and against being a slave to pleasure (Titus 3:3). Those passages don't seem to condemn the pleasures of the flesh, but rather unbridled desire that has no regard for Christ's authority. Given the Bible's joyful depictions of pleasure in feasting, dance, and sex, I'd hesitate to claim that seeking the pleasures of the flesh is sinful.

I think this was pretty much the answer I was looking for :) I suppose I was focusing on the broader teaching of sex and that makes much more sense. 

I was just curious. I personally would never think sex (in a marriage) just for fun would be a sin :) but thanks for your answer