Faeries

Profile Pictures

11 posts in this topic

What was your reason for choosing your profile picture? If it's a picture of yourself, why do you prefer this, and if not, why?

I didn't put much thought into mine. I just looked through some pics on my computer and decided on this one, :D . I'm mostly asking because I would like to eventually use my own picture but at the same time, I feel like it's so personal, and I worry about privacy. I also feel for some reason that if I used my picture, people would approach me differently based on what I look like. But I do know that it represents me and I don't really want people to always picture an animal when they think of me :P , especially when I start making friends. It really isn't a big deal but I'd like to know your opinions.

So all in all, I just wanted to hear from you guys about your choice of profile picture.  :lol:

1 person likes this

Aside from my insatiable vanity though, my main reason for using my face is honestly that I have pretty severe social anxiety in real life and (as I ironic as it may sound) I thought letting people put a face to my words online instead of hiding completely behind a screen might help me become more comfortable with that offline.

I never thought of it that way. I also suffer from social anxiety.

You're very beautiful by the way.  ;)

1 person likes this

When I joined (wayyy back almost two years ago :P), it said somewhere, I can't even remember where, that profile pictures of yourself are appreciated so that people can put a face to your name. Since it's such a small forum and everyone gave me such a warm welcome, I uploaded a picture of myself, and it's been that way ever since. My current profile picture is one I took while trying out Elvish hairstyles. I really liked it and I hadn't changed my picture on here for a while, so I thought, why not :D

I used to find it annoying when people didn't show their own faces online, as I always like to know who is behind the screen. It also helps to humanise them, because we often forget it's a real person we're dealing with. But now I don't mind it so much. I do associate people with their profile pictures but I know it's not them. And, well, it turns out you don't need to see someone's face to understand they're a human being with feelings just like you :)

3 people like this

On the internet, no one knows you're a cat... :superwaiter:

...but I choose this avatar to represent me, primarily because I don't want to put my face up on the internet. And I think an animal makes a good avatar, because its easy to remember someone's identity with something that my brain knows represents them, while its impossible to judge anyone on their face/looks. You have to look into them and get to know them. So what matters comes first. And how we all look will come naturally later. That about sums it up.

That said I also admire people with courage to show their faces. You're all real fine looking ;)

2 people like this

I started out not using my actual pic, but then I figured that it couldn't hurt to add one. Once I got to a point that I felt relatively comfortable with this community, I decided to show myself.

I'm pretty indifferent about what people post as their profile pic (if it's not you then I'm just going to picture you as your avatar), but I do think it's nice to put a name to a face. I'm sure that everyone on this site is a human being, but seeing a face adds an extra level to "humanizing" people.

4 people like this

well I use to have my pics here, when I was taking a break I deleted it, came back and didnt want to use the same pics so I used this one.Its my Ideal environment for relaxation.

like crystalfaerie I saw it somewhere that adding your pics gives you extra point and I also like the Idea of putting a face to a name but then when people don't put their pics it didn't matter to me. plus its not my real name so.....

1 person likes this

Me too , I didn't use a pic of myself at the beginning , but after a while , I realized I feel comfortable here . On the other hand , at first , I had this idea in my mind that I don't really want people who know me (like my friends or family members), to find out that I'm an active member of this website , or read any of my posts or topics . but then , gradually , I started realizing that I'm actually proud of what I'm doing and wouldn't have any problem to show my face and identity to anyone , even my relatives ^^ 

6 people like this

On the other hand , at first , I had this idea in my mind that I don't really want people who know me (like my friends or family members), to find out that I'm an active member of this website , or read any of my posts or topics . 

This was also a concern of mine. That a family member would find my profile and read all my posts.  :lol:

2 people like this

This was also a concern of mine. That a family member would find my profile and read all my posts.  :lol:

Same here! When I joined up, nobody in my family and none of my friends knew I was waiting (even I wasn't too sure that I was) so I wasn't too sure if I wanted my face on here. But then I thought, huh, who cares :D The internet is so big anyway, and unless any of my friends/family is actively interested in WTM and searched for it on Google, they won't find me. (And most of them know, now, anyway.)

2 people like this

I thought about this for a little while but I eventually decided to use a photo of myself instead of an avatar or something of the sort. 

Honestly, I had a couple of points for this but I'll narrow it down.

One, I worried about people I know recognizing me and knowing things about me that I wouldn't want to share with them just yet. I then realized the real reason would be that I felt almost embarrassed about being a virgin. Everyone had just assumed that I wasn't waiting until marriage. I grew up in a big city where virgins were constantly made fun of or people would insult one another by calling them virgins(like that's a bad thing?) especially if you are a guy  so I hesitated. But honestly, I came to the conclusion that it's not something you are meant to be ashamed of. I feel proud of the restraint I've shown and it's strengthened my faith so much that I have no right to hide it. I want to let others know that it's perfectly normal to go down this path. So if anybody I do know recognizes me, which would most likely be because they too came to find this website in the way I did( looking for a place where you fit in) then I would want them to know that there's somebody they know who also is doing what they are and that it's completely understandable in fact I might even go as far as saying the right thing to do in the search for true love.

And two, I worried way too much about how I look haha, I am or rather was a little vain or insecure about myself. But I figured either way If they don't like the way I look, then I'm really only doing myself the favor of attracting the right type of people anyways. I'm not going to be ashamed of the way I look, for I was made in the image and likeness of God, so I'm guessing he must be a real handsome fella ;) 

Hope this helps, 

Cheers

3 people like this