Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CrystalFaerie

How do you pray?

5 posts in this topic

Back in school, I remember asking one of my friends, a Christian, whether she addressed God as "tu" (French informal "you") or "vous" (French formal "you"). She told me people say "tu" in their prayers because you're supposed to be close to God, and like any other intimate relationship, it would be awkward to be too formal. This exchange has been on my mind lately, and I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss :) How do you pray? What kind of language do you use? Why?

For me, it depends whether I'm praying as part of a ritual (even the less important, daily ones) or on the spur of the moment. During ritual, my prayers go something like this: â€‹Khaire Hestia, sweethearted Goddess, keeper of the hearth. I light this candle in your honour, that you may watch over my home and those I hold dear. I consider it important to be formal because the context itself is formal, and the Gods deserve to be approached with respect. On the other hand, if I'm in an urgent situation or just out and about, I'll say something more like this: Hestia, please watch over my house. I think I forgot to lock the door. Please make sure nothing happens while I'm away, and I'll light a candle for you when I get back. Thanks. Love you.

One reason for this difference is that, while I respect the Gods no matter what, ritual is more focused on building a relationship with them, while spontaneous prayers are for making use of the relationship I've already built.

I'm still figuring this out, though. I wasn't raised in a religious household, so apart from what my friend told me, I don't really know how people are supposed to, or commonly do, talk to their God(s). I'm especially curious to know how it differs depending on religion/denomination. So tell me, how do you pray? You're welcome to give examples of prayers if you feel comfortable doing so :)

1 person likes this

I just talk plainly to him. I don't really call him anything. I may say God or Father or Jesus.

There really aren't "ritual", ceremony prayers. It's just God and me, one on one, alone time.

1 person likes this

I pray both ways. I will say my Our Father's and randomly thank Jesus for certain things throughout the day. I think structured prayers help you to start a relationship, if you really listen to the words you say. And then once you've gotten that bond with God, you can talk !more intimately with him. :)

Sorry I took so long to answer but thanks for your perspectives! Samaye, your way of praying sounds very similar to mine. It makes sense - ours are both structured religions in which tradition and more "formal" prayers hold an important place, but random thanksgivings and intimate talks matter too :)

2 people like this

Saw this topic and thought id give my opinion as well... :) ...When i pray i just speak from deep down my heart. I feel that way we really mean every word we say when we pray to our Father. There is no time and place or anything. Anytime i feel like praying or calling out to God, i do so cause i know his spirit's always there. According to me prayer can be even a simple Thank-you Lord or Im so grateful Lord. Prayer to me is more like talking to a spirit who i know is always by my side... :)