Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rihhana

A question for Christians

9 posts in this topic

Hi 

I'm not sure if it's correct to ask this question here , but I couldn't find a better community that could answer my question . I've recently seen some Christians accept gay marriage and there are even some churches for them. but  as long as I'm concerned there are some strict verses in Bible that condemn homosexuality.

I wanted to know your opinion . Is it that common among Christians ? do you accept it or not?

PS: My question is for Christians but other faiths and believes are welcome to tell me their opinion about homosexuality .

I like to compare it to sports.

Players who play a certain game, plays by that game's rules.

Gay marriage is like a person who thinks its unfair that you can only play soccer with your feet, and wants to play with his hands too. The judge has to tell the person it's against the rules. Meanwhile, the some of the crowd sides against the judge arguing the judge is discriminating the person. In the end, some soccer matches are now played with hands too...

The analogy:

Game - Marriage.

Rules - Marriage according to the bible.

Person - Gay.

Judge - Church

I think when one wants to play a certain game, one should not try to push the rules, though technically it's the judge's fault for letting it happen, though technically, the judge was being stressed by the crowd arguing against him... hmm though they did that because someone tried to push the rules to begin with...

TL;DR: Marriage is for one man and one woman, Bible's rules. (in a sporty analogy)

That said, I'm not the one to judge, and I won't.

1 person likes this

PS: My question is for Christians but other faiths and believes are welcome to tell me their opinion about homosexuality .

For everyone's thoughts on the matter, we had a topic about gay marriage here, and one about gay parenting here. You will definitely find...many opinions in those threads.  :lol:

Anyway I'm an atheist, and also bisexual. My sibling is gay (and married!).... Yeah, I have zero issues with homosexuality.  :P

4 people like this

Well, it depends on what you are specifically talking about. Yes, it is very clearly taught by God, Jesus and the bible that homosexuality is a sin. But we are all sinners "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and the main theme of the Christian faith is to spread the gospel to the world through love, so that those few who are willing to believe on Jesus may be saved. John 13:34-35 " A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.†That is supposed to be the main distinguishing factor from a Christian (those who believe In the God of Adam and Eve, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and believe that he sent his son Jesus to Earth to pay for the sins for all mankind for all time and that faith in him gives eternal life. Otherwise we die in our sin and have to receive the just reward of our acts on earth...Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord) is to be our love for one another and our love for those who hate us or are against us. Souls are won to God not with hate, not with force, not with fear but souls are won to God by showing God's love to those who are outcasts, those who have needs, those who are suffering...we are to be the hands and feet of God.

Now that being said. The church should welcome all people and welcome sinners, the sick the needy the poor. Anyone should be welcome at church. Homosexuality is a sin, they are welcome because everyone sins. It is impossible to live without sin. That being said, I believe it is wrong and goes against the plain teaching from scripture to actually for the church to actually perform gay weddings (treat it as if God is joining two of the same sex together as a marriage) or actually promoting a homosexual as a church leader. It is a sin and if a man is openly having an affair on his wife and the church knows it they can't keep him as a deacon or let him be the pastor of the church. The same with homosexuality. If they remain openly gay (as if it is just normal and isn't a sin) they shouldn't be given any office or authority within the church.

So, yes they should be shown love like anyone else, they should be welcomed like anyone else but if there are any churches that perform gay weddings or let them be leaders, deacons and pastors I believe those churches are missing the mark. I don't know much about if or how many churches may do that. I believe I have heard of a few who do. I don't think it is many.

That was the answer to my question . thnx John . I just wanted to make sure homosexuality is a big sin in Christianity and not accepted by religion , becoz i was starting to doubt so ! That's true , church should welcome sinners , but for the sake of helping them to change themselves . not welcoming them and performing gay marriage! (which is really strange in my opinion). but as you said , there aren't many churches that do this. 

1 person likes this

It doesn't matter whether or not it's acceptable to me.

God will be the judge of their character on the day of judgement, not me.

As for the comment of "helping them change," you can't help anyone change if you don't first befriend them. And sometimes, even after you befriend them they will still hold on to their past selves.

Can someone be a homosexual and still be a follower of Christ? Yes, but only if they acknowledge their own sin; but this is the same standard for everyone who wants to profess Christ. When you go to heaven, you lose your old world identity and gain a new and better one. The problem is that many people who are homosexual make that their identity and will feel that they have lost themselves if they gave up that identity for a new one.

But again, that goes for everyone. Whatever identity you have now as a person living on this planet, if you're not willing to let go of it with the coming of Christ, you can't be considered a Christian.

The alleged mainstream christian church is in total contradiction of its teachings on sexuality in the present state.  Drilled over and over in sermons is how sacred sexuality is supposed to be.  No one ever talks about sexual problems in public, and no one talks about healthy sex.  It is always a forbidden or neglected topic.  If a middle-aged person is single, there is no advice on sex whatsoever except for the word "no."  This is incredibly naive advice considering how sexual human beings are compared to other creatures.  I'll just be kind.  I get it; people regard sexuality as sacred in christian public circles.  They just don't talk about it.

However, all the sudden when a homosexual arrives in alleged christian circles, it is everyone's business for some reason.  Sexuality is somehow not sacred.  A complete 180 happens.  So, apparantly, masturbation is regarded (though not necessarily true, just popular opinion) as a sin in many alleged christian circles.  However, by stark contrast, the topic is always swept under the rug.  Masturbation is simply not something talked about in the church.  Extramarital affairs happen in the church all the time, yet that topic is clearly sinful, and it is swept under the rug.  Homosexuality, by contrast, if believed to be sinful has been attacked unfairly and disproportionately by the church for no reason at all.

There is another problem.  I am not sure people even are defining homosexuality as sin right (if it even is a sin).  Do people mean sodomy?  Do people mean a man lying with another man (which may imply lesbianism is not a sin)?  Do people mean that simply being born homosexual is a sin?  The church usually has no idea what's goin on because it places more importance on the bible than on Jesus.  Yet the people that do this have no theological training whatsoever.  I invite anyone trained in even elementary bible theology to ask their local pastor where some of the canon's origins are, and what things really mean within.  You will undoubtedly get a lot of hillbilly answers, or just watch your visit get turned into a therapy session by all the existential questions u get in return for asking some that actually matter.  Hell, I don't even know if christians are just confusing themselves with being politically conservative anymore, heh...

1 person likes this

I have friends who identify as gay and I love them so much, I want us to be together in Heaven singing songs for eternity. I grew up learning that same-sex marriage is OK for people then I found Jesus, saw miracles, signs and was healed, and started to take the bible seriously. So now I hope they all remain celibate or marry the opposite gender because the bible is clear about it, and I don't want anyone to risk their eternity! I want us all to make it to Heaven. I have been abstinent my whole life too.

1 person likes this

Similar to Peters football analogy I believe if you want to be part of the game you have to play by the rules.

Another analogy I use is "my house my rules"

Maybe you like smoking but I say not in my house I think it's disgusting. I may even say what you're doing is disgusting but at the end of the day you can do want you want BUT not in my house so no smoking in my house. So you then have a choice we can be friends and you can make sure not to smoke in my house maybe if you're really nice you will try not to smoke in my presence elsewhere this would be nice. Ideally I'd like you all to stop smoking but we all have free will and rights.

Another option is to not be my friend and not come to my house again simple enough.

The final option is for you to totally disregard me come in my house and smoke and for some reason expect me to be OK with that.

I've always thought that if there is sin in homosexuality it is not in the being (attracted to/thinking sexualy about same sex) but probably in the choice to act on those thoughts by taking part in homosexuality acts.

So if smoking is same sex marriage and sexual acts and the church is God's house then of course it shouldn't be happening in there. You can try and force it on the church which I think would be wrong, you can choose not to associate with the church or its members if your beliefs/life styles are not compatible (maybe find a religion or spiritual outlet that better suits you rather then change one) or you can deal with it in the same way you would with other sins, temptations or thoughts of sin trying to avoid it, get through with prayer read the Bible talk to peers etc.

I also agree with GodsPhysicist in that homosexual "sins" are not fairly or proportionally addressed homosexual people have been judged and often treated worse then people who have committed adultery and/or other sins sexual or not this is totally unfair. Like someone can be sexualy attracted to the same gender but be a virgin but then get treated worse than the straight people who go to church to find their next hook up. Definitely disproportionate.

Finally I'll echo what some others here have said it is not our place to judge ultimately that is for God to do we just have to try to be good, do right and love others.

1 person likes this