Geraldine

Natural family planning : what do you think?

24 posts in this topic

Hey guys ! :-)

I am not catholic, I'm an evangelist...and I saw the post of Jegsy Scarr about natural family planning(I liked it). I think it is really interesting and I was wondering what are your thoughts about this ? :-)

I mean is this something you would do with your wife to be?

6 people like this

Hey guys ! :-)

I am not catholic, I'm an evangelist...and I saw the post of Jegsy Scarr about natural family planning(I liked it). I think it is really interesting and I was wondering what are your thoughts about this ? :-)

I mean is this something you would do with your wife to be?

A lot of people seem to ask questions about what they would do with their hypothetical future spouses.  The truth is, no one really knows what one would do with their future spouse until they at least first meet them, and then later marry them.  These kinds of decisions require both parties.

I suppose these questions, therefore, are exclusive for someone one wishes to marry.  There is no way the public can help or advise on such matters...

2 people like this

The Catholic Church might be evil, but I think they at least got this issue right ;) Seriously though, I am about 92.444806796747347305783% sure I will be practicing NFP for the following reasons:

1. While I'm not sure I oppose all forms of birth control, I will say there will be no hormonal BC in my marriage. Things like the Pill have been linked to higher risk of breast cancer, weight gain, mood swings and sharp loss of sex drive. Unless she needs it for a specific health reason, I will not allow her to harm herself for my sake.

2. I can't seem to reconcile certain theological reasons to support it. For example, you can't truly be "one flesh" with barrier methods of BC like using a condom. That would be like trying to make out with a window between your lips. Not to mention, the church has historically been opposed to contraceptives based on their interpretation of Scripture.

3. Greater emotional and physical intimacy. Sex is the hottest when it's all natural, just the way God intended. It maximizes physical pleasure. It also allows the husband to be more in tune with his wife's menstrual cycle, creating greater understanding and strengthens the emotional bond between the two.

4. It allows the couple to appreciate sex more. Usually it's the husband who wants sex way more than the wife. Don't get me wrong, I plan on having lots of sex if I marry. But NFP will help me not take sex or my wife for granted. I think short periods of abstaining here and there is good in order to focus on other aspects of the marriage.

5. Sperm is good for a woman's health. Don't block it's entrance with a condom, let it in!!! lol. It has proteins that boosts a woman's immune system. Now if only they had Public Service Announcements for that....

14 people like this

Wooooaaa ! Invincible ! I agree 100% with everything that you Said!
It's reassuring for me to know some men think like this.
At least you.
Thank you! :-) :-D

Edit :

2. I can't seem to reconcile certain theological reasons to support it. For example, you can't truly be "one flesh" with barrier methods of BC like using a condom. That would be like trying to make out with a window between your lips. 

Toooooo FUNNY !! XD  :P  :D  :lol:

4 people like this

Well, my husband better be ok with NFP, cause NFP and condoms are the only BC I'd use. Because I am absolutely not going to use any kind of hormonal BC unless it was absolutely necessary for a health reason. Considering all the possible bad side affects they could cause to me and/or any babies conceived while on them I'm not willing to take a gamble on them.

Come on, women have even died from using hormonal BC, there was even a 21 year old girl who was on the pill for less than a month and it killed her. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3095987/Tragedy-fit-healthy-21-year-old-dies-taking-contraceptive-pill-MONTH.html

I kinda of have irregular periods and have been having some trouble with them this year. Months ago for a little over a whole week I felt lightheaded and like I could pass out the who time I was on it. But after that I was doing fine until like some time in August, and I have been bleeding almost almost everyday since then. But has always been a light or very light flow, and there have been days when it had just been spotting and seemed like it was about over, and it even stopped for a week in October after I been taking a B 6 supplement for a week, but then it started up again. And it stopped the other day, but I'm sure it'll start up again soon.

I did go the the doctor a few weeks ago for this, and he did suggest going on BC pills for this (I had an appointment with a female doctor, but she wasn't there that day and they didn't call to tell us she wasn't going to be there...). He suggested Yaz and Yasmin as good pills I could try. Wasn't the company that made those sued? Weren't those pills connected to birth defects? Come on, I've seen tv commercials for attorneys or something saying to call them if you were on those and had a kid with birth defects. Why the hell was he suggesting that shit to me?

And after that while my mom and I were waiting for the person that was going to draw some of my blood for a blood test to come, we were all kinda annoyed and talked about it. My mom said she was on some hormonal BC for a little while years ago for health reasons (though I think she said she was on the shot, not the pill), and she said it caused her fertility problems. She said I don't have to to on them if I don't want to, and I don't.

So according to the blood test I have a hypothyroidism problem, and some other smaller problems, and they want to put me on medicine for it. And this hypothyroidism thing effects a lot of different health problems including cycles. While I'm not on medicine for it yet, I hope it will help with my cycle problem and other problems I've had before or after this problem started.

So some advice for the ladies, if you're having cycle problems, you should get a blood test and/or other kinds of medical tests to see if you have any kind of health problems that would effect your cycle before you go on birth control to fix them, but even then there's other things you could try to fix cycle problems before trying the pill and such. :)

I don't understand why some women worship and demand free birth control pills and act like it's the number one most important thing that every woman needs and that having birth control makes you empowered. What's so important and empowering about pills that can cause bad side effects to the woman using them, and even kill her, and can cause birth defects to babies conceived while the mom was on them. You don't need the pill to be empowered, and they're not even necessary unless you really need them for health reasons. We really need new and safer non-BC pills to help with cycle problems. And not all woman use BC pills in the first place anyway. I don't see what's so damn great about them. 

Sorry for the TMI post everybody.  :blush: Also this is "Ask the guys", but I had to put some of my insight here and I'm sure there are other threads on this site where this post would be relevant. 

Edited by Amber Elizabeth
10 people like this

I also want to use NFP in my marriage. As a Catholic, I do agree with the Catholic position on NFP and my reasons for using it are similar to Vince's post.

5 people like this

I'm neither a guy nor Catholic, but I thought I'd drop in to say I want to use NFP as well. I was on birth control for medical reasons a few years ago, and it didn't suit me at all. I got loads of side effects, and this was on the mildest type of pill! My doctor concluded that I'm very sensitive to hormonal birth control and that it's not a good idea for me to take it. Hence why I plan on using NFP.

It's very important to me to be in tune with my body cycles and to know what's happening inside of me, instead of ignoring it with a pill or a condom. I also don't like the idea of having a barrier between me and my partner once we're married. This is why I think that NFP, for me at least, is the best option. I would be open to other forms of birth control, such as an IUD, but NFP seems like the only one that keeps us in tune with our biological cycles as well as being natural and non-invasive.

6 people like this

5. Sperm is good for a woman's health. Don't block it's entrance with a condom, let it in!!! lol. It has proteins that boosts a woman's immune system. Now if only they had Public Service Announcements for that....

Also, there are things in semen that act as natural antidepressants for ladies.

I should warn people, however, that this will lead to children couples ironically DON'T PLAN for.  I hope that people can understand that children can very quickly become one of the world's strongest anaphrodesiacs...

I just thought of another question.  I noticed that promiscuous ladies usually have a bitchy attitude.  I am not joking.  I assume that women who are promiscuous probably are on some kind of birth control because otherwise the consequences would get more obviously harder and harder to deal with.  I naturally just used to dismiss it as coming from their baggage.  I didn't really think twice since I don't deal with bitches, but now this question got me thinking.

Is it possible that hormone birth control changes the body chemistry enough in a lady to put her in a bitchy mood all the time?  I am not necessarily against birth control, but I wonder anyway...

Is it possible that hormone birth control changes the body chemistry enough in a lady to put her in a bitchy mood all the time?  I am not necessarily against birth control, but I wonder anyway...

Well, hormonal birth control works by tricking your body into thinking you're pregnant (because if you're already pregnant, you stop ovulating, because you don't need to get pregnant when you're already pregnant, right?). So I don't know, I guess if some women tend to get a little  :angry:  :mad:  :excl: when they're pregnant, then that would make sense that their mood might swing the same way when they're in a state of pseudo-pregnancy. Not quite the same, of course, since when you're actually pregnant, you're also dealing with a lot more emotional, physical, mental stress etc. since there's actually a baby on the way. Mind you, I've heard the opposite argument made - that at least when you're actually pregnant, you're happy and excited about a baby coming, so it might not be as bad as not actually being pregnant with your hormones etc. acting like you are.

Eh, I don't know. Never mind.

xxx

1 person likes this

Well, hormonal birth control works by tricking your body into thinking you're pregnant (because if you're already pregnant, you stop ovulating, because you don't need to get pregnant when you're already pregnant, right?). So I don't know, I guess if some women tend to get a little  :angry:  :mad:  :excl: when they're pregnant, then that would make sense that their mood might swing the same way when they're in a state of pseudo-pregnancy. Not quite the same, of course, since when you're actually pregnant, you're also dealing with a lot more emotional, physical, mental stress etc. since there's actually a baby on the way. Mind you, I've heard the opposite argument made - that at least when you're actually pregnant, you're happy and excited about a baby coming, so it might not be as bad as not actually being pregnant with your hormones etc. acting like you are.

Eh, I don't know. Never mind.

xxx

Well, these are thoughtful ideas, at the very least.  So, it might be that women are bitchy because they are dealing with being falsely pregnant without the "reward" of a wanted baby to keep them happy.  I bet because these women are falsley pregnant, therefore, they might have SOME mood swings like that of a pregnant lady, but it can't be the sole reason because pregnant women who want kids don't seem to be bitches at all compared to these casually promiscuous girls.  I bet the combination of the baggage and hormonal changes when mixed leads to quite explosive chemistry...

Maybe that's it...

I'll be the dissenting voice here (what else is new?  :P ) and say that I do not think I will *ever* use NFP. Quite simply, I feel it is much too risky, much too much of a pain, and has some major downsides for the woman. Afterall, NFP requires you to abstain (or use condoms if you have no religious objections) during a woman's most fertile time period. This fertile time tends to correspond to the high point of a woman's sex drive. Why would I want to spend 20 years of my life abstaining during the time when I would be most in the mood? It just seems incredibly unfair. And if you also abstain during the woman's period...that means you're going to spend about 1/2 the month just totally unable to make love.

Basically, this just all seems like too much to deal with when there are things like the Paraguard (non-hormonal copper IUD) or the Skyla IUD (releases a very small dose of hormones), which you can have placed once every 3-10 years and just forget about. The copper IUD won't mess with your hormones at all, and the hormonal IUDs release an incredibly small amount of hormone that stays pretty much localized in the uterus, so your risk of having any side effects is greatly reduced (though there can be some positive aspects, like lighter periods). They're almost as effective as surgical sterilization with even less effort than pills, they're completely reversible, and they don't require any form of abstinence or barriers. Can you tell I've been researching them like crazy lately?  :lol:

And, to clear some stuff up about the pill....

It's true that the birth control pill can be linked to higher risks of some cancers...but it is also linked to a lower risk of other cancers. So is it worth trading off a slightly higher risk of breast cancer for a slightly lower risk of ovarian cancer? Eh, that is up to the individual woman. It's also true that the particular synthetic progestin in Yaz/Yasmin is linked to a higher risk of blood clots, but this progestin is not found in other birth control pills in the US, so it is fairly easy to avoid. I haven't found evidence that it is linked to any other health issue. And while true that birth control pills in general are linked to a slightly higher risk of blood clots, it almost always happens to women who have other complicating factors (genetic blood clotting disorders, cigarette smoking, age 35+).

I'm not saying birth control pills are perfect (you can actually count me among those women who have had a negative experience with them), but they also help many women in controlling acne, mood swings, menstrual cramps, or even much more serious disorders like PCOS and endometriosis. I wouldn't want any woman reading this thread to feel scared of trying them if she feels they would work best for her.

6 people like this

I'll be the dissenting voice here (what else is new?  :P ) and say that I do not think I will *ever* use NFP. 

Glad I'm not the only one. IUDs all the way!  :D

2 people like this

I don't believe NFP it's a good thing. Why? Because it's not healthy. I would recommend IUDs. Although my parents (who were lucky enough to meet at a very young age and be their first) married and didn't "plan" our births.

How is NFP not healthy?

xxx

7 people like this

How is NFP not healthy?

xxx

Just a guess but if one is planning their sexual activity, then there's no spontaneity. That's what I gathered from it.

The Catholic Church might be evil, but I think they at least got this issue right ;) Seriously though, I am about 92.444806796747347305783% sure I will be practicing NFP for the following reasons:

1. While I'm not sure I oppose all forms of birth control, I will say there will be no hormonal BC in my marriage. Things like the Pill have been linked to higher risk of breast cancer, weight gain, mood swings and sharp loss of sex drive. Unless she needs it for a specific health reason, I will not allow her to harm herself for my sake.

2. I can't seem to reconcile certain theological reasons to support it. For example, you can't truly be "one flesh" with barrier methods of BC like using a condom. That would be like trying to make out with a window between your lips. Not to mention, the church has historically been opposed to contraceptives based on their interpretation of Scripture.

3. Greater emotional and physical intimacy. Sex is the hottest when it's all natural, just the way God intended. It maximizes physical pleasure. It also allows the husband to be more in tune with his wife's menstrual cycle, creating greater understanding and strengthens the emotional bond between the two.

4. It allows the couple to appreciate sex more. Usually it's the husband who wants sex way more than the wife. Don't get me wrong, I plan on having lots of sex if I marry. But NFP will help me not take sex or my wife for granted. I think short periods of abstaining here and there is good in order to focus on other aspects of the marriage.

Hahaha! I like your number 5 reason

LET IT IN!!!! BUAHAHA YEA SON! :D

Seriously, that was great...

2 people like this

Hahaha! I like your number 5 reason

LET IT IN!!!! BUAHAHA YEA SON! :D

Seriously, that was great...

But of course..yes NFP is the only way to go for me..yes it's what my religion supports, but there are many other practical reasons...altering the the natural healthy function of your body through artifical hormones is NOT HEALTHY and has a lot of bad side effects that mainstream doctors don't want to mention, and inserting weird devices in my body where they don't belong, like IUDS is just not appealing!!! If you wanna know about all the bad side effect just look it up! You will have no problems finding tons of info. Also if you believe life begins at conception (when sperm joins with eggs), then the forms of BC I mentioned could be abortive since they prevent the embryo from implanting: that is not okay with me personally!

I belief in working with the rythmns of nature is better than working against it, better for the body, the environment, and the soul.

Also if you use hormonal BC for health issues even that is not that great...it's a quick fix that doesn't fix the problem, just masks it and make your body more out of balance. There are better more holistic options that you can explore. Seriously! Women need better options to cure their gynecological problems than BC pills! Such bad medicine!

The only artificial birth control I would ever use if I had to is condomns, bc there are no side effects, however those would not be preferable all the time because as Invincible said.."LET IT IN!!" Buahahaha!

In conclusion,any man who fails to understand all I have said after I explain it to him, and still insists I alter my healthy body is a complete idiot. Thank you.

2 people like this

Also if you use hormonal BC for health issues even that is not that great...it's a quick fix that doesn't fix the problem, just masks it and make your body more out of balance. There are better more holistic options that you can explore. Seriously! Women need better options to cure their gynecological problems than BC pills! Such bad medicine!

Definitely respect your individual choice here, but I wanted to comment on this line of yours. While I acknowledge that some doctors overprescribe BC as if it's a magical cure-all without bothering to look for other non-medicated options, I don't think it is fair to say that hormonal BC is always a "quick fix that doesn't fix the problem, just masks it and makes your body more out of balance." Take endometriosis, for example. For a number of women suffering from the disease, not only does taking hormonal BC help mitigate pain and other symptoms, but it can actually be one of the only ways to preserve fertility. Without hormonal BC, the endometriosis can get worse, and over time, lead to a loss of fertility. From my understanding, the only other treatment method for endometriosis is surgery, and obviously only some people are candidates for it, but even those who successfully undergo surgery are often encouraged to take hormonal BC after the fact in order to prevent the endometriosis from returning and again threatening fertility. 

4 people like this

Definitely respect your individual choice here, but I wanted to comment on this line of yours. While I acknowledge that some doctors overprescribe BC as if it's a magical cure-all without bothering to look for other non-medicated options, I don't think it is fair to say that hormonal BC is always a "quick fix that doesn't fix the problem, just masks it and makes your body more out of balance." Take endometriosis, for example. For a number of women suffering from the disease, not only does taking hormonal BC help mitigate pain and other symptoms, but it can actually be one of the only ways to preserve fertility. Without hormonal BC, the endometriosis can get worse, and over time, lead to a loss of fertility. From my understanding, the only other treatment method for endometriosis is surgery, and obviously only some people are candidates for it, but even those who successfully undergo surgery are often encouraged to take hormonal BC after the fact in order to prevent the endometriosis from returning and again threatening fertility.

Yes, underthesun, I absolutely understand where you are coming from! What I was trying to get at though is that doctors should be exploring other, better options for problems like that, in the 21st century we should have something better for women that doesn't have the side effects or interfere with the body's natural process. BC pills are fine for now, but we need something better in the future, and I'm optimistic that there will be! Plus, if a woman is taking them for a problem like that, does that mean she has to stay on them for life? Isn't it bad to be on them past the age of 35? And what happens when she comes off of them? The problem comes back because it was never cured! So it's a fine method in the short term to manage the symptoms (which is what most of modern western medicine is about), but it's sad that that's all we have! We deserve better! We need a CURE! I'm sure most would agree.

Yes, underthesun, I absolutely understand where you are coming from! What I was trying to get at though is that doctors should be exploring other, better options for problems like that, in the 21st century we should have something better for women that doesn't have the side effects or interfere with the body's natural process. BC pills are fine for now, but we need something better in the future, and I'm optimistic that there will be! Plus, if a woman is taking them for a problem like that, does that mean she has to stay on them for life? Isn't it bad to be on them past the age of 35? And what happens when she comes off of them? The problem comes back because it was never cured! So it's a fine method in the short term to manage the symptoms (which is what most of modern western medicine is about), but it's sad that that's all we have! We deserve better! We need a CURE! I'm sure most would agree.

I'm all for continuing to research and develop an actual cure for endometriosis (though, I'll admit I suspect it will be a long while before any such cure is found... research that only benefits women usually doesn't tend to earn much funding). But I agree, and I do hope we can come up with better options in the future. 

Small note, though: it's the estrogen in the conventional BC pills that bring the side effects traditionally associated with hormonal BC, but progestin-only pills exist, too. Progestin-only pills are much, much safer and come with practically no side effects. They can be used by women over 35, smokers, women who are overweight, who have migraines with auras, and women with estrogen sensitivities. I've actually heard progestin-only pills are more recommended for women with endometriosis, but that might just be doctor preference... I haven't read any studies on the topic. 

But anyway, hormonal BC isn't meant to be a cure for endometriosis. It's just meant to seriously limit the pain, and it's meant to delay the progression of the disease so that fertility can be preserved as much as possible. And once menopause sets in, endometriosis is no longer a problem. Not that that means we shouldn't be funding research (because we obviously SHOULD!) but I'm just saying, the current BC pill is workable enough for some women. Which I think makes it even less likely significant funding will go in to finding a cure for endometriosis, unfortunately. 

...But now I'm SUPER off topic for this thread. Sorry!