K.G.

America, or the world?

6 posts in this topic

The topic of waiting until marrige in America, (from what I've observed through my own experiences, media, and statistics), is not a very popular life choice to the masses. Do you belive the majority of people around the world have the same views as the American people? Facts and statistic tables are welcome to support your statement.

2 people like this

From what I gathered from the members here, it seems to be similar in other countries around the globe, whether its Britain, France, Russia, or India, for example. In this way, we aren't alone, but are connected. Its sad, but also reassuring that there are others that hold the same values that we do.

2 people like this

Disclaimer: I've only been on a couple of small trips to America, so most of my thoughts on the US are based on what I've heard from people online (on this site and elsewhere), the media, and my few friends that live there. Feel free to correct me if I get something wrong :)

I believe that waiting till marriage is actually more popular in the United States than in Europe, Australia and New Zealand (I don't know about Asia, Africa and the rest of the Americas). From what I know, there's a particular demographic in the US, mostly religious people, with whom waiting till marriage is very popular. Nationwide, though, I've noticed that views on the subject tend to be very polarised - the majority of the population thinks it's ridiculous, but there's still a sizable number of people who are staunch believers in it. The fact that those who aren't waiting don't respect others' choice to do so, added to the fact that what I've seen of American media seems to be very promiscuous, makes waiters feel lonely even though percentage-wise, there seems to be more than in Europe.

Here in Switzerland, waiting till marriage is almost unheard of. The situation seems to be similar in France, Germany, Austria and other liberal, mostly non-religious European countries (Australia and New Zealand are similar too, but are becoming more like the US). The fact that most people here are non-religious or very liberally religious takes away most of the demographic of religiously motivated waiters (that doesn't mean there aren't a few, but way less than in the US). But it also means that people feel less strongly about waiting, and views are more mixed. The difference between "waiting" and "not waiting" isn't so clear-cut. Waiters are spread out between people who wait until they're in a relationship, wait for love, wait for engagement and wait for marriage. Waiting all the way till marriage is the least popular choice, but since there are a lot of people deciding to wait too, just not for that long, it's met with a certain amount of acceptance. So while there might be less people waiting till marriage where I live, I don't feel as lonely, because A) waiting at least till you're in a relationship is common, and B) even though it's not a popular choice, I don't get judged for it.

So basically, from what I've seen:

United States - more waiters but a less accepted choice by the masses, so waiters feel marginalised

Switzerland/Europe - less people waiting till marriage but more liberal views on waiting, so waiters feel a bit less marginalised

4 people like this

In the place we live, it is generally considered a good quality to wait until marriage, but it is gradually changing. It used to be like 'having sex means marriage', on at least the high register of our society, in which I grew up.

Still, contrary to the popular belief, divorce rates are too low; It is not really because of society talking bad things but they are usually grown up with the habit of adjusting together.

1 person likes this

It is definitely not popular right now in Spain. 

We have always been a traditionally catholic country, but in the last decades it is quickly fading away. There is a crisis of values and as a result the youth is rebelling against old standards, such as waiting. 

Young people who wait are right now a rare sight and looked by others as religious fanatics.

It is sad, but it is the trend right now in most of Europe.

3 people like this

Well,  WTM used to be the norm here in india but it's changing so quickly. I guess modernization is changing all those good old values people used to have. In most colleges and schools girls and boys don't usually wait here anymore.  The number of people who do wait like me are reducing ever so rapidly. :( ....