K.G.

What if love was non existant?

13 posts in this topic

Better. Also I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of finding a boyfriend. :)

(Also, what kind of love are we talking about here exactly? Love in general or only romantic love? Though I suppose you're talking about love in general here...)

1 person likes this

How are you defining love? Warm fuzzy romantic feelings, or the act of sacrificing your own desires, needs and even life for the person you love?

The former, yeah, we'd probably survive, although things would be boring.

The latter doesn't make sense a lot of sense. If love is an act, how could an act not exist? That'd be like asking, "What if hugs were non existent?" Unless the concept of love itself stops existing, in which case, yeah, we'd all be screwed. Society can't function without love. Even having children in the first place requires someone to say, "I care more about a little baby than my own desire to have an easy life." So we'd just end up in a world where people decided, "Urgh, I'm not having a child. What happens when I want to watch my favourite movie and they're crying in the next room?" and so on. Yep, that'd be the end of us.

xxx

3 people like this

I can imagine finding a partner would be like this:

"I'm fertile and could be a nurturing mother, wanna mate? I'm sure our children will be genetically diverse and competitive" XD

Without love life would be pretty meaningless.

2 people like this

Agreed on drifting without a final goal. I hope to have a good career in the future, be very academically successful/well-educated, have a nice home, become fluent in multiple languages, etc., but none of that is my end goal. When it comes right down to it, when I am laying in bed at night, trying to fall asleep, there is only ever one, single thing on my mind, and that is finding a girlfriend and future wife.

To answer the question, if I couldn't experience love and therefore sex was basically just reduced to using another person to masturbate with, I think I would feel very empty inside. As sad as it sounds, most things really don't give me much enjoyment on their own. Hedonistic pleasures like food and travel and sex are nice, but without someone else to enjoy them with it would be deeply unfulfilling, like I was just pointlessly drifting from one temporary amusement to the next with no final goal in mind. 

Yup, hedonism probably always fails because the more consistent pleasures are, the lower the payoff becomes. Part of being happy is the feeling of catharsis; the cleansing/release of negative emotions like suspense, fear, boredom, sadness. Generally, people who tell the most interesting stories know how to build and emotion and suspense for a great payoff later, and there's like an ebb and flow of negative and positive moods contrasted. In movies like Birdemic: Shock and Terror, the two main protagonists have their life's dreams fulfilled within the first twenty minutes or so, and it just seems random and pointless because these things fell out of the sky instead of being earned and have no meaningful effect on the plot.

Can evil exist in a world without love?

If love just all the sudden vanished, and we knew what we were missing….That would scare the crap out of me and life would be really depressing.

Love motivates me to do just about everything. Because I love other people or because I have a love for myself (meaning a healthy appreciation for my life)

I suppose if we were born and raised without love, we might not know what we were missing?

Isn’t love a major factor that makes us human? A world without love seems like it would be a world controlled by robots.

2 people like this

Wow those are some great questions you bring up @StarGate SG1

I have never thought about this before but I definitely agree with you...I probably would not have any motivation to do anything.

Apparently there is a tribe in Africa that has undergone so much conflict and social breakdown that loving ties between even family members has systemically broken down. Its supposed to be the closest example of Thomas Hobbes view of the state of nature that we have come across. I haven't been able to verify this myself - I haven't been able to find out which tribe etc with my own research though I think I have it written down who knows where. Considering the studies they have done with depriving babies of affection and loving attention i'd say we would die out pretty quickly.