Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Olivier

Divorce Expo

11 posts in this topic

So, while at work last week, I was listening to the radio and was a bit taken aback at what I heard. Apparently a "divorce fair" is coming to New York City. Just like there are career fairs and trade shows, this is a divorce fair. A divorce fair is geared towards people contemplating divorce and allows you to view available "services" including divorce lawyers, therapists, plastic surgeons, and hair stylists (yes, you read that correctly: hair stylists).

Here's a link:

Divorce Fair

I've heard about divorce parties but what do you guys think about this? Are you surprised, disappointed, unphased, or is just a sign of the times. Does this seem to be preying on women?

That's just gross. A new mixer to immediately meet someone new; get plastic surgery (which I'm against except for when a woman has breast cancer---or another related exception), and a new hairsyle. Really?! Like just because you got divorced doesn't mean you need fake crap. Ewww that is just gross.

Huh.

We'll capitalize on just about anything we can think of, won't we?

It's more lucrative to sell band-aids than it is to prevent the fall in the first place.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised that a divorce-expo would exist. I think it preys on fragility in general... not unlike a thousand other consumer products out there. :( Sad.

1 person likes this

Sign of the times in my opinion, as much as I hate to say it. I just try to shake my head at stuff like that and go on down the road. Makes me sick honestly :blink:

1 person likes this

Well you can't deny the statistics: divorce rates are very high. While this is disheartening news, lots of couples are seeking divorce. But plastic surgeons? Hair-stylists? Is that really necessary?

I agree, this is really sad. Have you heard about "divorce cakes"? Like wedding cakes...

post-319-0-96526200-1328632736_thumb.jpg

post-319-0-56170200-1328632761_thumb.jpg

post-319-0-98173200-1328632785_thumb.png

Sad.

xxx

Jegsy: Ewww, that is SO gross! I'm mainly referring to the one with the bloody groom falling down the cake. :(

Jegs, those cakes are ridiculous! When did divorce become something to "party" about?! Another thing I heard on the radio was the "hat cap" trend or something like that. Pretty much, at divorce parties people pass around an empty hat that people toss money into. The money is used to get a hotel room for the night so that the new divorcee (or person about to be divorced) can have sex with some other person.

Thnx for the responses, everyone. Here's my take:

The largest emotion I feel is "just sad". Sad that divorce has become so common place, sad that divorce is now a million (or billion?) dollar industry, and sad that people would actually attend these expo's. Let me elaborate on the last point.

Heaven forbid I were to get a divorce someday, I would want to keep it as low key and private as possible. With information literally a few clicks away, why in the world would you parade yourself by going on some expo? And to have plastic surgeons and hair stylists... really?!?! Talk about preying on emotions. So someone gets a divorce and breast augmentation, or male enhancement, or getting your hair *did* is supposed to make things better?

When you look at all of this is it really a surprise that divorce rates are what they are?