Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
armytiger

The sin is sin argument

6 posts in this topic

So most Christians that know that I am waiting would argue that I am making things to hard because In James the Bible says if you break one sin you are guilty of them all. I know how I feel in the spirit tho and I do not believe that for instance if I "accidentally" click on something and stare at a naked girl on the internet it would not be as bad as if I had sex. Some things you just feel more guilty in the spirit about. 

So most Christians that know that I am waiting would argue that I am making things to hard because In James the Bible says if you break one sin you are guilty of them all. I know how I feel in the spirit tho and I do not believe that for instance if I "accidentally" click on something and stare at a naked girl on the internet it would be as bad as if I had sex. Some things you just feel more guilty in the spirit about. 

Jesus looked right at Pontius Pilate and reassured his "no-win" decision by saying to him: "...therefore the one who has handed me over to you is guilty of greater sin."  Jesus, out of all others, apparantly thinks that there is such a thing as "greater sin."

People who want you to believe that little white lies are as bad as murder are usually from a congregation that preys (not PRAYS, heh) on morally upstanding people by continuing to generate need to attend their congregation by making people feel like they can never be good enough.  I say it is time to start asking Jesus what He Thinks and stop letting the church make you feel like you will never make any progress with God.

2 people like this

Great point above from GP

On one level, all sins are equal in that no matter how trivial they seem, they all deserve God's "wrath and curse, both in this life, and that which is to come, and cannot be expiated but by the blood of Christ." No sins are small when committed against a great and generous God. Beyond this, however, the gravity of each transgression depends on varying factors.

In the Lord's prayer, we ask for forgiveness for our transgressions, not our sins, as Christ paid for these at the cross.

To add to this point, there's 1 Corinthians 6, where Paul laments that "Every other sin is outside the body, ..."

And continues in verse 19 by stating that our bodies are "temples of the holy spirit as a reason why we should honor God with our bodies.

Aren't there Sins, Transgressions, and Inequities?

1 person likes this

Okay, I'm going to stop you all right there.

First of all, there is a difference between people who like doing something, and people who feel guilt over doing something they happen to be tempted to do. And there is a difference between feeling that guilt when you are caught versus feeling guilt over it despite not getting caught.

When you're talking about people, christians and otherwise and about sin you have to look beyond the action and at the heart of a person, and that's something only those you are very close to can you see or something left only to the Holy Spirit.

Let me give you an example.

We understand that killing/murder is a sin.

Under all circumstances, killing your fellow human is a sin.

Now, if we all take that into account and because of it we never go to war, then those who are willing to sin and in some cases are happy to sin will win without contest.

However, even though we know it is a sin to kill/murder we understand that in our messed up world with a whacked out balance of morality and evil everywhere, such rules are sometimes bent. If you were solely protecting yourself by going to war, that's one thing. If it is for personal gain, for glory or because you like shooting people up, you're sinning in a way that makes you a monster. Those who enjoy sinning are those who become monsters.

Though both are sinners the difference within them is that one thoroughly enjoys the killing without remorse while the other performs it while feeling guilty because he knows there is no other alternative.

I don't believe it when people say "there is always a way without violence." Tell that to the millions of people who died at the hands of the church over the course of the world. Sometimes people have to do things that are against the moral code in order to protect others, and sometimes such things are justified in that way.

Now how does this relate to something like sexual sins.

There is a difference between the person who enjoys their sexual sins without guilt, and the person who knows he is tempted by it and feels guilty wanting to stop.

Those who enjoy sin become monsters.

Those who seek to erase their guilt have much room for redemption.

Or something like that. I don't know, I just worked a long shift and I'm lucid right now.

Is see what you mean Ringer. True repentance means having the will to stop and really stopping. Saying a little prayer after having sex and knowing that you would do it again is not true repentance. 

1 person likes this

So most Christians that know that I am waiting would argue that I am making things to hard because In James the Bible says if you break one sin you are guilty of them all. I know how I feel in the spirit tho and I do not believe that for instance if I "accidentally" click on something and stare at a naked girl on the internet it would not be as bad as if I had sex. Some things you just feel more guilty in the spirit about. 

The verse they're referring to, James 2:10, "For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it", isn't saying that all sins are equally wrong. It's saying that you have to follow God's law completely. You can't pick and choose what commandments you want to follow, and then say you're following God's law, because if you're not following all the commandments, then it can't be said that you're following God's law in its entirety.

As others have pointed out, there are many other verses in the Bible that confirm that some sins are worse than others. For example, 1 John 5:17, "All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal."

Plus, it's just common sense that cutting off someone in traffic is wrong, but cutting off someone's head is much worse.

xxx

6 people like this