Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sally

Sexist Superbowl Commercials

12 posts in this topic

Just curious to see if everyone on here is on the same boat as me about godaddy.com or the flower comoany ad or Hiat (sp?) Car ad...

As a tech guy, I despise Godaddy, so I just skipped their commercials. I liked the flower company ad because it had Adriana Lima in it, and every time I see her a little part of me goes "cha-ching!" because WTM.org gets a traffic bump every time she's on TV. :lol:

I guess the flower ad was pretty sexual, in a subtle way. But nothing compared to the Fiat ad. That was...well...crazy hot. I've gotten past caring about the whole "sex sells" thing, so at this point I just think the Fiat marketing team did a hell of a job at making me, an adult male, consider a Fiat attractive. B)

Actually, now that I think about it, I usually hate overtly sexual ads like Godaddy's typical "boobs and domain names!" spots. But the Fiat ad was more about intense desire than just big boobs in skimpy clothing. It just seemed more creative than the normal fare.

I think my favorites were the Acura NSX and Baby Slingshot commercials. ^_^

Yeah they did stand out <_< . Those commercials that use sexuality to appeal to the viewers. Trashy commercials like that should not be televised especially given the fact that children are DEFINITELY watching. Its just an idea of how far the censorship of the United States has plummeted.

True, but hers couldve almost been for victorias secret...ladies buy my hose and garter and youll...(fill in the blank) ugh and the fiat one "oops i dropped ice cream on my chest...maybe you can lick it off" really? Did they need the ice cream too? I wouldnt want kids to see those, at least under 14...

In the end, remember that the whole purpose of the commercials is to make money and attract customers. They don't care a ______ about family values or whether kids are watching or not, lol.

1 person likes this

Its just an idea of how far the censorship of the United States has plummeted.

You know, a similar thought went through my mind right about the time time when she dribbled white cream on her chest. I was like "Wow. That just crossed a new line for cable TV."

Still, advertising-wise, I thought it was a really well done commercial, overt sexuality aside.

For comparison, I thought Fiat's Jennifer Lopez commercial was silly and ineffective. The notion that JLo (net worth $170m) has driven herself anywhere in ten years, let alone in a $25k economy car, was just too unbelievable to be persuasive. <_<

Maybe I'm getting off topic here. I'll give you that this year's commercials were fully twice as female-objectifying as last year's, but I guess at this point I've just come to expect that. Plus it's easier not being a girl. Most of those sexist ads are aimed at me and aren't at my expense. :P

Yeah all those were def a little risque for quote un-quote "family" television.

My favorite ad was the Clint Eastwood Dodge ad....go figure right :lol: Clint's the freaking man

OR the Ferris Bueller ad...that was great!

Any ladies on here find them offensive too ? Lol

Yes! I didn't watch the SuperBowl, and obviously we didn't get those ads over here, but I looked that Fiat ad and the flowers one up on Youtube...yuck! Why does a car have to be sexy for you to buy it?! Why do you have to use sex to sell flowers?! Why does everything you buy have to be sexy?! Why can't they just say, "Buy our car! It looks cool!" instead of "Buy our car! It must be worth buying because the ad had a sexy woman in it!" Why can't they just say, "Buy our flowers so your girlfriend will be really happy!" instead of "Buy our flowers so your girlfriend will give you any sexual favour you want!"

Grrr...You know, I'm seriously considering, the next time I see an ad on TV where they objectify women, I'll email them and complain...

(I actually did that before with a TV talent show final (X Factor) where they had Rihanna and Christina Aguilera doing a burlesque style dance, before the watershed. So I emailed the show to complain.)

xxx

I was absolutely appalled at the amount of sex centered commercials...and not one of them were at a male expense, they were all entirely derogatory towards women. I could hardly watch it.

I guess the flower ad was pretty sexual, in a subtle way. But nothing compared to the Fiat ad. That was...well...crazy hot. I've gotten past caring about the whole "sex sells" thing, so at this point I just think the Fiat marketing team did a hell of a job at making me, an adult male, consider a Fiat attractive. cool.gif

Actually, now that I think about it, I usually hate overtly sexual ads like Godaddy's typical "boobs and domain names!" spots. But the Fiat ad was more about intense desire than just big boobs in skimpy clothing. It just seemed more creative than the normal fare.

omg Mike! I totally loved the fiat commercial!!! The guy on there was sooo adorable♥ That is my type of guy right there♥ I couldn't help but laugh and smile with that commercial!!! Also, I didn't think it was too scandalous at all, relatively speaking.