Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steadfast Madcap

Eating Healthy and Exercising!

7 posts in this topic

In a few of our topics relating to what is attractive in a spouse, people have mentioned they want someone who shares their goals of eating well and keeping fit. As well, I think I've seen at least a few people mention that they're on their own journey to physical fitness. So I figured I'd make a space where we can share our own stories and tips; whether you're looking for inspiration to get started, are already heading towards being fit, or you're an old pro, you are welcome to chime in!

Personally, I've spent most of my life being on the "heavier" side of a healthy weight...always about 5-10 pounds lighter than what would clinically be considered overweight for someone my height. As an adolescent with a curvy figure, I felt incredibly self-conscious about my body, and envied the girls who could be 100-120 pounds with seemingly no effort. At the same time, I also really, really loved food, and used it as a bit of an unhealthy bribing tool for getting through tough situations (ex. "if I finish my homework I can have fast food for dinner"). So, I've gone through a couple cycles of loosing about 20 pounds, keeping it off for a few months, then gaining it all back with even more tacked on. This most recent time, I'm a bit ashamed to say, I finally crossed the line from simply overweight to what the BMI chart calls obese (though I don't think most people would visually "tag" me as an obese person; I don't even wear plus-sized clothing). That was a big (no pun intended) wake up call for me, and I've finally decided to get healthy, for my own sake, rather than get skinny, for vanity's sake.

This time, I'm not going to use a scale...I'm not even going to worry about portion sizes at first. Instead, I'm going to change what I eat, rather than how much. All the other times I've "gotten healthy," I've done it by allowing myself to drink diet soda instead of corn syrup-sweetened soda, and by getting the small fries instead of the medium. Now, I'm not going to let myself have fries or soda at all. I'm cutting out processed foods, and added sugars and salts, as much as I possibly can. Vegetables, fruits, brown rice and oatmeal, whole milk, and lean meats...that'll pretty much be it for me.  ^_^ I think the most important thing I can possible do for myself at this point is to break my addiction to highly salty and highly sugary man-made foods, and learn to appreciate nature's foods in their original form!

Wow...I ended up rambling on. :lol: I now open the floor to everyone else; please tell me your stories!  :)

6 people like this

Good luck!!! :D I can understand the temptation to eat fatty, salty or sugary foods - I've always loved them too and found it really hard to resist buying them. Natural foods can be really tasty too though, if you cook them right. I recommend lentils and brown rice, fish and couscous, and vegetable curries. You can find some great recipes online.

I'll admit I've never had weight issues, but what I do struggle with is fitness. I've never been fit. I ran a couple of races when I was a kid, but that's about it. I hate endurance, I hate the feeling of my body being strained, and my little sister has muscles twice as big as mine (she's a rock climber, but still). What's more, all of my current activities can be done sitting down, and I live in a city with excellent public transport, so the motivation to get physically active isn't big.

A few months ago, I took up biking. It really happened by accident - I was in the shed one day, saw my bike, and decided to go for a ride. Since then I've been biking pretty much everywhere. I can actually get to town faster on the bike than on the tram, which is great when I can't be bothered to wait at the stop! And somehow, the feeling of working my muscles is a lot nicer when I'm actually going somewhere, when there's sights on either side to distract me, and when the wind is blowing on my face and the wheels are whizzing and I hardly notice that I'm pedaling.

The thing is, I live on a hill. It's not a very steep one, but it's steep enough that I can tear down to the bottom, then have to lug myself and my bike back up. It's not fun. Even less motivating is the fact that the tram goes right up to the top. So what I've been doing lately is that every time I go out, I bike down the hill, then take the tram back up. I've biked up the hill a couple of times when the tram was a long way away, but I usually stop halfway for a rest.

My goal is to be able to bike all the way up without getting (too) tired. I don't know how long it will take me till I can (I might have to stop taking the tram up first :lol:) but that's what I'm working on at the moment!

4 people like this

I was always the bigger girl in sports. I was athletic, but still over weight. My senior year, I decided that I wanted to be in a lower weight category in wrestling. The only way I was able to loose the ten pounds, that I knew of in my naivety, was to starve myself and run more. Now mind you, I was not only in wrestling at the time but also softball. Yes I lost fat weight, but I also lost muscle weight from not properly eating. I ended up not being able to wrestle all the way to the end because of my strengths dwindled. I promised myself I wouldn't do that again.

Now, with the ten years since then, my weight has gone up and down because of working, going to school, leaving my parents house, moving back with my parents, buying a house and moving in. But I grew my knowledge in nutrition (mostly through my brother who majored in kinesiology and his crazy healthy eating habits) and found something I enjoy doing for exercise. Running I have a love/hate relationship with :lol: but I thoroughly enjoy doing yoga. Even if I really don't feel like exercising that day, I still pull out my mat because I know when I'm done my body feels extremely at ease and less tense. I through in some weights too to help build up my arms, shoulders and back.

As far as food, I am eating a lot! Alot of fruits and vegetables. I have cut down my bread carbs intake extremely. What i use to eat was a whole bowl of spaghetti, I now eat a fourth bowl with a large salade with vinaigrette. And protein for muscle growth!

It has been a year and half since I've started this journey. My exercise and endurance has increased, as well as my muscles. I am actually recently hit a smaller weight than my senior year of high school. I'm not really trying to loose more weight now, just tone up.

Everyone is different. Its best to exercise how you want too. I found, for me, changing my diet is out of the question. I like food to much. Last year I was quite over weight. I was about 235lbs and could barely get up to the top of my stairs. When I started working at a hardware store I did alot of walking and ate very unhealthy food such as noodle cups and bacon jerky. After a month I had actually found that I lost weight. (20lbs) Then someone I thought was "the one" came into the picture. I was motivated to take up weight lifting and a weights class. When I started out quite excessively (for my body at the time). I did 25 curls (15lbs), 25 butterflys (15lbs), and planked for five minutes. I started feeling alot better and more confident. I gradually over time keprt adding reps, weights and other workouts. By time the school year ended, I was doing 50 curls (25lbs), 50 butterflys (25lbs), 50 sit ups, planking for 15 minutes at a time, maxing 200 on bench press, and 50 push ups in 30 mins every day accept for Sat on top of work. I also found my favorite band Rammestein. Today, about a half year later I am doing 100 curls (40lbs), 100 butterflys (40lbs), 100 birds (40lbs), 100 sit ups, 100 crunchs, 100 situps, and 200 inclined pushups in a 30 to 45 minut time period on top of work every day accept Wed and Sat while listening to my favorite band which helped alot to increase work load. Through all that I had the diet of Burger King for lunch for a year, microwave lunches for a half year, and what ever I wanted for dinner for the year and a half which is usually pretty unhealthy. I am now toned and on the verge of becoming ripped. In conclusion I found motivation, I built a plan, then I ran with it. Now again what works for me may not work for you. We are all different. Oh yeah, then I found out that "the one" was only interested in a physical relationship and wanted me along with her boyfriend in secretcy. Of course I stopped Acknowleging her exsistance. Then I joined this site. I may of lost one form of motivation but finding this site and finding that there's still decent people out there has givin me a new form of motivation. So thanks. :)        

3 people like this

Hi Guys and Girls,

I got back into martial arts again about 4 months ago, so on a bit of a health drive at the moment, so would definitely be up for swapping a few ideas/recipes

So fitness-wise I started out doing a fighting style used by military/law enforcement/counter terrorism/close protection world-wide which is normally started off by a military-style workout push-ups, sit ups, burpees, squats... you get the idea haha and we do a lot of weapon defenses/disarms (everything from baseball bats, knives and even pistols and rifles!) as well as close quarters combat and hand to hand fighting, we also do a lot of sparring normally against multiple attackers that may or may not be armed, and I should be doing my first grading in about 12 weeks (6 months faster than most!) but I have also started training in Muay Thai and Brazilian jujitsu as I am now doing MMA and plan on competing in next years competition. So this has pushed me to get fitter and eat healthier as training between 6-10 hours a week against bigger, stronger opponents is really pushing me and driving me to get better because although I am beginning to be able to hold my own after just 4 months of training (training up to 6 times a week) I want to win next years competition. 

Food-wise I am just eating natural food, vegetables, salad, fruit, meat, fish, eggs etc 

So to give you an idea of healthy food today I had

Breakfast

Baby spinach leaves, a slice of smoked salmon shredded and mixed in with the spinach topped with a fried egg (fried using 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil) and seasoned with sea salt and black pepper.

Snack

Blueberries

Lunch

Salad (lettuce, tomatoes, onion, pepper etc)

Snack

Apple

Dinner

Stuffed pepper (stuffed with lean lamb mince (USA = ground?) mixed with onion, mushrooms, spinach) and roasted veggies (roasted in 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil) 

and strawberries for dessert.

Protein shake (after weight training this evening)

@Crystal a great recipe for when you have salt cravings is kale crisps/chips put some shredded kale in a baking tray, drizzle over some olive oil (about 1 teaspoon for each half of the tray depending on how much you are making) season with sea salt and black pepper (pepper can be quite a strong taste so only use a very small amount of the pepper) and mix together with your hands rubbing the seasoning into the kale then bake in the oven at 80 degrees C for 40 mins until it is crispy (It will look like it has shrunk a lot but it tastes sooo good)... and enjoy! 

I have found the kale crisps/chips don't store very well so you have to make them fresh otherwise they go soggy!  

1 person likes this

On 9/5/2015 at 9:51 PM, Steadfast Madcap said:

a curvy figure, I felt incredibly self-conscious about my body, and envied the girls who could be 100-120 pounds with seemingly no effort.

A curvy or chubby figure is my favorite!!!! There is no reason that you should ever feel self-conscious about that. Many people find that very attractive. A person can also be curvy or chubby and still healthy

I do get the healthy eating. I would consider myself a healthy person in terms of nutrition and fitness. I'll just say one thing on the nutrition, Diet soda is really bad for you. Unless they took it out, it has aspartame in it...which is horrible for you. My uncle is a retired food scientist he engineered and made food for live stock...anyway, he said that aspartame is horrible and you should never drink that stuff...he made it sound worse than the regular soda lol

1) if you want a soda, i think this band is one to look at and most of the flavors are IMO taste pretty good.Most of the grocery stores where i live sell it..http://www.zevia.com/ 

2) my mom just went to a nutritionist and she put together an entire meal plan and a ton of other information...if you want I can send it to you...lol quite a deal considering it cost my mom a few hundred

Hi there:)

Personally, I always eat healthy, drink plenty of water, exercise regularly with cardio and weights. All this helps me stay active and look good. I often read some informative resources on healthy lifestyle/sports like ออกกำลังกาย . It's a great magazine with brilliant topics and articles – finally a magazine for professionals that gives useful info and not ‘fillers'