Sabrina

Hi! virgin newbie here

24 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!  Just thought I'd introduce myself.  I'm a 25 year old nurse from Brooklyn (born and raised baby); I come from a big, loud, awesome family and I have lots of neices and nephews.  My youngest brother and I are especially close since we're the only ones still living at home.

My family is Christian, and I personally became a Christian at 17.  What my parents taught me as a kid about saving intimacy for marriage made sense to me.  In college, I did more research on the topic, reading books such as "Hooked" and "Unprotected", and cross-referencing with my biochem & physiology classes - all of it made sense on another level.  The bonding mechanisms of oxytocin, the effects of pheremones, etc.  At times, I felt like such a naive loser for not having sex like everyone else in college, but the scientific knowledge reinforced my decision to remain a virgin.  Although guys asked me out, I never accepted, because I knew they didn't share my values or my faith, and I didn't want to string them along for no reason. 

However, I spent a lot of time studying with guys, since I was in a major that had more guys than girls (chemistry).  I found it was really easy to become emotionally entangled with guys, even though I didn't do anything more physical than a casual hug - that is something I still struggle with.

Last year was rough for me, as I was diagnosed with cancer, and underwent chemo and radiation.  After finishing treatment and growing back a little hair, I went on vacation in Florida for a weekend.  While there, all I could think was, I'm 25, I have this hot (rental) car, I'm in West Palm Beach, I've survived cancer - I just want to go have some fun, get drunk and sleep with a handsome stranger.  Of course I did no such thing.  But man, it was hard not to just give in a little, to flirt with some cute busboy or whatever.  I've come to realize that being a virgin or celibate until marriage isn't simply about the physical aspect.  The true battle for me is in my mind and my emotions, and being a truly virtuous lady.  So I'm striving toward being content with life, while still growing and maturing as a person.

Anyhoo, I'm excited to be on this forum and hopefully meet some new friends who are also on this journey.

17 people like this

Welcome Sabrina!  I am sorry about your experience and thank God that you are well.

It is nice that you join wtm and hope you make new friends here. :) 

1 person likes this

Welcome and congrats on Kicking Cancers Butt! God bless!

Now, THAT is the way you introduce yourself.  Fantastic...

Be sure to join the public chat room and meet us a little more directly.  We are fillin' it more everyday, and I am sure you will bring as inspiring news as your introduction...

2 people like this

Welcome, Sabrina! And congrats on beating cancer! B)

1 person likes this

Welcome! I am so glad that you survived cancer... That's what killed one of my aunts, and one of my uncles... Terrible disease.

We're happy to have you here.

1 person likes this

Welcome, Sabrina! Congrats on beating cancer and being the awesome person you are :D We're glad to have you here!

1 person likes this

Thank you so much everyone for your encouragement!

Now, THAT is the way you introduce yourself.  Fantastic...

Be sure to join the public chat room and meet us a little more directly.  We are fillin' it more everyday, and I am sure you will bring as inspiring news as your introduction...

Thanks, I'll do that.  Love that username btw.

Welcome! At the risk of sounding cheesy, when I was reading your post I thought, "You go girl!" God bless you!  :)

1 person likes this

Welcome, glad to see you here and glad that you overcame cancer. You been through a lot and seem in such good spirit. You are truly inspiring.

1 person likes this

Welcome to the site Sabrina !! its an honor to feel the presence of a warrior !!  :) i hope you gonna enjoy the good company here !

1 person likes this

Wow that was an excellent testimony! It's very inspiring to hear examples of how people are brought closer to God in a mission to abandon worldliness. Welcome to the site and I'm glad to see another Biochemist here! What sort of work do you do? I'm currently involved in plant pathology work.

Hey Sabrina. It's nice to meet you!

I know very personally the emotional and physical struggles you speak of about waiting for marriage. We all struggle with them to some extent, some more than others. But reading your post I almost felt like I was reading something I wrote. Thank you for staying strong and finding us. We weren't complete without you!

Welcome! At the risk of sounding cheesy, when I was reading your post I thought, "You go girl!" God bless you!  :)

Aww thanks-- not cheesy at all girlfriend.  I gotchu.  ;) 

Wow that was an excellent testimony! It's very inspiring to hear examples of how people are brought closer to God in a mission to abandon worldliness. Welcome to the site and I'm glad to see another Biochemist here! What sort of work do you do? I'm currently involved in plant pathology work.

I majored in chem in undergrad, but went straight into nursing school from there, so I haven't worked as a chemist outside of school.  Quite frankly, I didn't do too well in labs -- I was just happy that I never blew up a bench while doing sodium fusion or something lol.  Plant pathology sounds really cool - are you working on improving crops gentically or something totally different?

Hey Sabrina. It's nice to meet you!

I know very personally the emotional and physical struggles you speak of about waiting for marriage. We all struggle with them to some extent, some more than others. But reading your post I almost felt like I was reading something I wrote. Thank you for staying strong and finding us. We weren't complete without you!

Yup.  It can get pretty intense.  Thanks for the kind welcome!

2 people like this

Congrats on beating cancer! Wow! And at an early age, too!

That being said, welcome to the site and I hope you come to like it. :)

1 person likes this

It's very basic extraction and PCR work. We're testing resistance and presence of disease in the plants and their vectors. I'm not much on the lab work either to be honest. :lol: I enjoy the planting and harvesting more than the studies themselves.

Welcome! My mother is a young cancer survivor, so while I don't have any personal experience with that disease, I know at least a little bit of how horrible it is. Congratulations on surviving and thriving!  :D

1 person likes this

Hey! I am so glad of the "happy ending" of your introduction. You know how to "build tension". I was like "please don't say you did it, please don't say you did it" and then "all right!" :)

1 person likes this

Hi Sabrina, I am glad that you have taken the right decision. You are not alone in this journey. May God bless you, an dglory be to God you were stronger than the cancer in Jesus's name.

1 person likes this

Hi everyone! Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 25 year old nurse from Brooklyn (born and raised baby); I come from a big, loud, awesome family and I have lots of neices and nephews. My youngest brother and I are especially close since we're the only ones still living at home.

My family is Christian, and I personally became a Christian at 17. What my parents taught me as a kid about saving intimacy for marriage made sense to me. In college, I did more research on the topic, reading books such as "Hooked" and "Unprotected", and cross-referencing with my biochem & physiology classes - all of it made sense on another level. The bonding mechanisms of oxytocin, the effects of pheremones, etc. At times, I felt like such a naive loser for not having sex like everyone else in college, but the scientific knowledge reinforced my decision to remain a virgin. Although guys asked me out, I never accepted, because I knew they didn't share my values or my faith, and I didn't want to string them along for no reason.

However, I spent a lot of time studying with guys, since I was in a major that had more guys than girls (chemistry). I found it was really easy to become emotionally entangled with guys, even though I didn't do anything more physical than a casual hug - that is something I still struggle with.

Last year was rough for me, as I was diagnosed with cancer, and underwent chemo and radiation. After finishing treatment and growing back a little hair, I went on vacation in Florida for a weekend. While there, all I could think was, I'm 25, I have this hot (rental) car, I'm in West Palm Beach, I've survived cancer - I just want to go have some fun, get drunk and sleep with a handsome stranger. Of course I did no such thing. But man, it was hard not to just give in a little, to flirt with some cute busboy or whatever. I've come to realize that being a virgin or celibate until marriage isn't simply about the physical aspect. The true battle for me is in my mind and my emotions, and being a truly virtuous lady. So I'm striving toward being content with life, while still growing and maturing as a person.

Anyhoo, I'm excited to be on this forum and hopefully meet some new friends who are also on this journey.

Hey Sabrina, welcome to the community! Congratulations on kicking cancer - you have are a really strong woman! I understand how much strength it took to have had gone through cancer and to kick it and destroy it. I am sure that you would love this community :)
1 person likes this

Hey again, Sabrina!

I had the pleasure of meeting you in the chat! Oh, wow! What a spunky personality! I love it! Needless to say, God won't give you anything you can't handle!  :) So glad to have an opportunity to meet a unique, beautiful soul! Best of luck, girl! Hope to talk to you again soon!  :D

2 people like this