Buster Cannon

Engagement rings?

11 posts in this topic

This is a hot-button issue that comes up in my circle of friends every once and a while. There's often a debate about engagement rings and how much the man should spend on them. So my questions are:

• Does it matter how large the engagement ring is?
  • Does the ring have to be a diamond, or would other [cheaper] gemstones work?
  • Would you be okay with wearing a wedding band temporarily in order to save money in the long run?
2 people like this

1) Couldn't care less about the size of the ring - in fact I would prefer one with a smaller setting as large stones can be a bit too 'bling' for my taste.

2) I would prefer an emerald to a diamond, but my dream engagement ring would be something antique, preferably ancient! It is possible to purchase genuine ancient Egyptian jewellery from dealers so to have an ancient ring would be a dream come true.

3) I wouldn't mind wearing a wedding ring temporarily - it's a good idea actually if it saves money in the long run!

1 person likes this

1. I wouldn't want a huge diamond, but I wouldn't want a tiny one either. Something in the vicinity of 0.75 carats is my ideal.

2. I realllly want a diamond. It's important to me that it be ethically sourced, though. A lab-created diamond (different from cubic zirconia) would be fine with me, and they are cheaper than mined diamonds.

3. My boyfriend and I have been together for 6 years, and have been seriously discussing marriage for almost 4. Yet, in all that time, I have had no ring on my finger whatsoever. So, at this point, I want my freakin' diamond or nothing at all!  :lol: On a more serious note, I'd feel kinda odd wearing a wedding band when we were only engaged?

2 people like this

1. Yeah, if it was too big, I think it'd just look kind of silly. But then again, if the gem is too small, that can look silly, too. I guess common sense, something kind of average-size is about right. [EDIT: just looked it up, and I think I'd agree with Steadfast - about 0.75 carat looks about right. Maybe 1 at most, but the big ones look kind of silly, and too big for me, I think.]

2. I'm pretty sure I'd like it to be a colourless stone, because I don't really like coloured ones that much. They're nice, but they don't really look like engagement rings to me. I hate how expensive the diamond rings are, though. A man-made diamond might be a good idea. I've just looked it up, and you can get white sapphires (about 1/3 price of diamonds), as well as moissanite, which looks even cheaper - one website gives a half-carat (man-made) moissanite stone as $89, or $179 for a "forever-brilliant" moissanite (which I assume is treated somehow to shine longer, or something). Actually, the more I think about it, that's probably a really good idea! I shall look more into this and let my future boyfriend know...

3. Eh, I'd like an engagement ring. It's kind of silly, I guess, but I'd like to have one. If not an engagement ring, I'd just not wear any ring - wearing a wedding ring before the wedding is a little weird to me.

xxx

2 people like this

Ah yes......

Solution: watch The Count of Monte Cristo and get her a string ring   :wub:  :lol:

5 people like this

It did not matter the size of the ring.

I like unique rings, and I like the idea of having one that has a different type of gemstone on it, especially if it had meaning for my husband.

Definitely would have worn the wedding band first to save money.

I agree with the video that 'tis the Bearded One posted, I really do think the whole thing is somewhat of a scam.

That being said, my ring is quite large, especially for me. It really sparkles. Add the wedding band and it's pretty extravagant; much fancier than I would have picked myself. But that's what makes it special. I'm not going to lie: I think it's beautiful, and I love wearing it.

But I would have been happy with a much smaller one. I can't even wear mine to work anyways

2 people like this

Does it matter how large the engagement ring is?

Yes it does. I am ONLY marrying him for his money, and if he is too cheap to buy me a fancy and very expensive ring with a big stone then I don't want to be his wife! (sarcasm)

I don't know a lot about stone sizes (but I did just look them up), but I want a decent sized stone, not too big, but not too small either. But the size of the stone depends on the design of the band and what size stones look best on it.

Does the ring have to be a diamond, or would other [cheaper] gemstones work?

No way, diamonds are boring! I want a cheaper colored stone. Like black, or a nice deep blue, purple, or pink, or even red.

I've seen some pretty rings with silver bands and black stones that aren't too expensive (Like ones that are 300-500 something dollars and cheaper ) on the Zales website. I'd like one like that. Also I find silver rings to be prettier than gold ones. :)

Would you be okay with wearing a wedding band temporarily in order to save money in the long run?

I don't know, not really, it seems weird to me to be wearing a wedding ring before I'm married.

Basically I want a ring with a silver band and black stone(s) (but another color like blue, purple, pink, or red would be fine too), that also costs no more than $500 or so (I do NOT want a really expensive one. I've seen ones that were thousands of dollars on the Zales website. I also saw ones that were like 10k on that site). And I want the ring to be sturdy and well made. I don't want the stones to fall out, I don't want the band to discolor, wear down, or snap apart. And I want the ring to be the right size. Not so big that it keeps falling or trying to fall off, and not so small that it gives my ring finger a muffin top and I can't get it off easily.

1 person likes this

1) Kind of. I have very small hands, so I imagine anything large could be annoying.

2) I would not mind.

3) Nope. I would rather not wear anything, until we married.

A little silly, but my grandfather proposed to my grandmother with a ring from a bubble gum machine. :). He bought her a real ring years later, after they where married.

3 people like this

Ah yes......

Someone on the comments section made a good point:

In marriage, the both of you are combining your finances. If the man goes into debt because he buys an expensive ring, this affects her finances directly because now both of you are short on cash. The money that went to the ring could have went to something far more important like a house.

6 people like this

Do you really have to have an engagement ring? I really don't care for one tbh. Whatever he gets me I'll be thankful.

1 person likes this

This is a hot-button issue that comes up in my circle of friends every once and a while. There's often a debate about engagement rings and how much the man should spend on them. So my questions are:

• Does it matter how large the engagement ring is?
  • Does the ring have to be a diamond, or would other [cheaper] gemstones work?
  • Would you be okay with wearing a wedding band temporarily in order to save money in the long run?

• No, doesn't have to be large. You can make up for a small stone by having an elaborate setting and multiple.
  • Diamonds are overrated. There's plenty of stones girls love like ruby (me!), sapphire, emerald...
  • Yes. As long as she has a symbol of your love to look at and think of you it doesn't matter