GodsPhysicist

I think I may be socially retarded...

7 posts in this topic

Uh oh.  I think I have to come to terms with being socially retarded.

What do I do next?  Do I have to see a doctor?  Do I need medication or something for it?  Am I now ineligible for certain careers?  How do I know that people are just being polite and pretending to get something out of my conversation?  Should I just never speak again for the rest of my life?  How will I communicate at work?  How will I meet people?  How will I know who my true friends are?  Will I know that I am being "taken for a ride?"  How many times has someone already taken me there? 

Oh God!  How do I know that this enormous amount of introspection I am writing down is actually the only thing left to do when I don't know how to communicate with others correctly?

I thought I was learning more about people over that last several years.  Now I think I thought I was making progress because I am too socially retarded to know better...

I was probably never introverted.  I think I might have just stayed quiet without knowing what to say because, in fact, I was socially retarded...

Heh.

Ever have a conversation with someone, and you don't know why they reacted to a question of yours so awkwardly?  Yeah; that was me tonight.  Moments like these get me to seriously question my social aptitude...

Hell.  Waiting for marriage as long as I have is probably just the icing on the cake here.  Many of you probably sacrificed a lot to wait until marriage.  However, I am probably simply too socially retarded to have sex...

And now, I feel the social anxiety drowning me like it had so many times before.  Here we go again.  I will keep everyone updated on how this downward social spiral goes...

*Insert anticlimactic and sarcastic interjection "Wheeeeeeeee" here*

1 person likes this

Eh, everyone has those awkward social moments, just try not to focus on them as much. I've had moments that make me cringe looking back at them even now, but chances are that you're looking at them far more critically than your friends are. The best thing to do is come to terms with what happened, examine it (and see where you can make corrections if possible), and then let it go. Past social failures can really get you down if you let them.

4 people like this

I totally second what Buster Cannon has told...

Everyone has those awkward social moments.

And from this, you can learn more about you and about others...

So "For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again" proverb24v16

"what does not kill you  makes you stronger"

It's not a failure : it is just a way to show you and tecah you new things. It may be not nice at first sigth, but later you will be grateful you went through this 

Don't be discouraged :) 

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.Romans 8v28

2 people like this

Yes man, I agree with Buster Cannon. You are being TOO hard on yourself. I find that introverted people are actually the most socially adept. We may not take up all the space (energy) in a crowd, but we cause others to feel good around us and KNOW how to socialize appropriately (respectfully). So just chill, man...PLEASE. The more you focus on it, the worse that situation gets (in your mind). I actually think you're one of the coolest people on here. Please, stop. 

4 people like this

Sweetie take a breath, you're okay. I don't know the situation which spurred this but as the others said it happens to us all sometimes. I think I'm fairly socially adept but I'm weird so that gets in my way sometimes. But for every one unsuccessful social situation there are better ones too. Don't let bad experiences make you think it's all bad, it isn't.

And please don't criticize yourself for waiting, you should be proud of that. It is your choice, it wasn't forced upon you because of social retardation. Take back the control on that one, you are doing it for the right reasons and we all respect you for that - you should respect that in yourself too. 

I hope this works out for you but either way I think you should just remind yourself of who you truly are and forget these labels. You're you, socially adept or not and that is enough to be happy and proud. Don't let a bad experience (or 100 bad experiences) define you, that's your job. 

- Jess

So, apparantly, I asked Jesus about it like I always do.  He had some neat things to say as usual...

First of all, I wrote a post about marriage and ministry a few days ago.  Within it, I explained that Jesus Likes to make me a friend to the lonely or isolated.  As a social retard, I immediately began to see what was going on.  In my weakness God's Strength is made perfect.  So, I often wondered that as a physicist, why Jesus Didn't seem to have much ministry for me there.  It is because I am good at it.  However, as a socially inept person, I must become a conduit for the Holy Spirit to reach out to others who need to most social care, because I have no social skills to give them.  It seems Jesus likes to use the unlikely so that people suspect that Jesus is really doing something...

This is great news, I have something that for which I will always need Jesus.  I suppose a ministry is as good a place as any for this stuff.  However, that doesn't help me much when ministry is not happening.  However, I have made plenty of progress in the past, and I forgot that emotions seem eternal.  It felt like it was all for nothing.  No it wasn't.  I just needed to vent, and then chill...

I have a way of staying direct and determined about these things.  I often use the emotions I felt in the past to remind myself to think twice about a repeat opportunity in the future.  The emotion is strong enough to get my attention, but the thinking is what makes me whole again.  As long as I can keep a cool head and think clearly, I make really good decisions.

Anyway, none of this matters specifically to the context with which it all started in the first place.  I was mal-informed about something going on at the time, and I simply asked about it later to a few folks that were a part of it.  It seems it isn't going to be too bad later.  The truth is, I couldn't really have known any better that I was going to get a heated reaction.  It wasn't exactly because I was a social idiot, it was because I didn't know the proper context of the conversation and its ramifications.

I will continue to progress in my social development like I always have, but I will keep in mind that it is harder for me to learn it.  That's okay.  Whenever Jesus would like to use an unlikely person, I'm game for making people feel like they've got someone who understands how much it sucks to be clueless about how people react to each other.  But, I won't be so clueless with those fine folks who go through it with me...

Heh.  On a humorous note: Ever notice that alcoholism and social retardation are two of the few disorders one can get yelled at for actually having?  At least alcoholism can come from choices.  I didn't choose to be socially retarded though, haha...

I'll tell you what: Give your favorite awkward neighbor a hug just for me TODAY !!!

=)

1 person likes this

I have three easy steps for you (sarcasm).

1. Don't trust the government.

2. believe the moon landing was a hoax and information about the van allen radiation belt was incorrect.

3. Eat Pizza...

Okay serious now.

Just learn to be comfortable in your own skin. A lot of times people don't actually think of you the way you think they might.