K.G.

Favourite Time Period and Why?

11 posts in this topic

My favourite time period is the 1950s. Not just because of the WTM aspect, but because of the white picket fence life style, with friendly neighbors, clean cities, clean humor, clean music, nice cars, the Red Scare, and cool movies.

The 20s and the 40s. I feel a strong connection to the wwII era of the 40s. However, the clothing, music, and slang, was the bee's knee's, in both decades. I'm a big fan of swing, big band, and crooners music. Even though I have a lot of modern likes, as well.

1 person likes this

Now this is a question I have to answer! :D

I love prehistory, especially the Neolithic Era. I love how we can trace back the roots of our civilisation to all these small aspects that people adopted for one reason or another, and that we don't even think about now. I love how these people were so much more intelligent and advanced than we give them credit. To me, learning about prehistory is learning about who we are.

I love the Late Aegean Bronze Age (16th to 11th century BC), which includes the New Kingdom of Egypt, the Hittites, the Babylonians and early Assyrians, the Minoans and Mycenaeans, and early Phoenicia. This is also the time period of the Trojan War, the earliest inscriptions of the Greek language, and last but not least, the earliest records of the Ancient Greek religion. It's an often overlooked time, but I love it - I love how it was an already advanced civilisation, how it lay the foundations for Classical Greece and Rome, I love it so much that I made it the inspiration for the setting of my novel :)

I love Classical Greece and Rome, the flourishing science, philosophy and politics of the time, the beauty of the languages, and the plurality of values and beliefs that coexisted during the Hellenistic period.

I love pre-colonisation America, especially the Incas. I love how they built an entire civilisation on and around the mountains, and how they did everything on foot because their only domesticated animal was the llama. I love how different their culture and worldview was from mine, and I wish we knew more about them.

I love the Regency, and the Victorian and Edwardian Eras. I'm fascinated by early photography, 19th century fashion (especially from 1800-1820 and 1865-1890), industrialisation and emigration, the sinking of the Titanic, and how it all came crashing down in 1914. I also love learning about my ancestors who came to New Zealand at that time, and who had to build their own towns from scratch because the English failed to tell them that their street maps were just theoretical. By reading about their conflicts with the Maori, I learn where both parts of my ancestry come from, and how to see both sides of an issue that still exists today.

Next up: spot the history nerd  :lol:

1 person likes this

I love the 20th century. I've always been interested in the 80s (awesome music, crazy fashion), the 1930s-1950s (living through the darkness of the Depression and WW2 only to come out of it feeling all prosperous and suburb-y), and the late 1800s/early 1900s (imagine all the incredible change people born at that time were witness to!).

Other time periods of interest to me include the late Medieval/Early Renaissance time period, and the Early Ancient Greek, and early Roman era. I guess I'm just drawn to time periods of great technological/intellectual change.  :D Which leads me to conclude...

that my favorite time period is right now! I feel very lucky to have been born at exactly the right time to witness the dawn of the computer/Internet/mobile phone era; I was born in the early 90s, so while I don't remember *not* having a home computer, internet, or my parents owning cell phones, my earliest memories of all of that technology are of them in their most primitive forms. I think all of that technology is far more of a benefit than a negative, so I'm excited to see where it all goes in my lifetime. I also think this era is much more friendly to women, LGBT people, and religious and racial minorities than perhaps any other time period in the entirety of human history. Crime is down, drug use is down, teen pregnancy rates are down...plus.... I can't really knock the time period in which I have access to soft contact lenses w/astigmatism correction! Everytime I start to romanticize another era, I just have to think about how I would have been blind my whole life.... 

2 people like this

My favorite time period is the time asymptotic to the "Big Bang."  This is where all the physical forces I study were all part of a yet unbroken grand symmetry. This led to a "superforce" that left all the fundamental forces we know today indistinguishable from each other.  Knowing how this "superforce" works yields us a "Theory of Everything," as it were.

That "Big Bang" will tell us everything we need to know, and maybe even all the NOTHING we would like to know also.  I mean really, it makes sense; if one knows how the whole universe started, one knows how to do anything in the universe...

Without a doubt, New Kingdom Egypt, particularly the 18th dynasty. I seriously believe I had a past life there, such is the connection I feel to that time and place :D

2 people like this

2015 because I have Wikipedia to learn about places I've never been, smartphones to connect with others and because cars are getting to 60mph in 3 seconds. It's the best years for car guys lol.

Victorian era -my town has a living Victorian Museum that had a summer camp program that girls could dress and act as a girl from the 1870s.

I really like the 40s and 50s. Every time I watch the godfather and other movies that take place in those days I feel like I belong there. I like the way people dress and act mature. I like the classic cars and the family businesses on all the corners.

I like history and I am really interested in U.S. around the time of the Second World War, the 1940's and also the time of the U.S. colonies leading up the Revolutionary War, the 1700's. I love to read seafaring novels around the times of the tall ships, the 1700 and 1800's. I'm also interested in time period in the Roman Empire when Christ lived.

Basically, I get interested in just about any time period if/when I read about it.