How much does money matter?

15 posts in this topic

Just thought of this since I moved to norcal. the Area I live in has a lot of wealthy people and I've been told I need a better car. I'm curious what the opinions are about finding a partner who is well off.

Just thought of this since I moved to norcal. the Area I live in has a lot of wealthy people and I've been told I need a better car. I'm curious what the opinions are about finding a partner who is well off.

Jesus.  Whoever told you that was a real asshole.  You don't need a better car, you need better friends...

8 people like this

I think your friends want you to keep up with the Joneses. However, if you like your car and can afford to live in a rich

neighborhood, why spend more money to get an expensive car? Hope this helps.

Hahaha.

Well I can tell you that the car I drive attracts a lot of attention because of how out of place it looks in the area. I don't plan on getting a better car until I hit 200 thousand miles though.

Wow, whoever made that comment about your car is incredibly rude...but that fits with the general attitude of most people I've met from NorCal (and SoCal), lol.

I would prefer a partner who is reasonably well-off, but not so I can drive a new Lexus or live in a McMansion. I would prefer to be a stay-at-home mom for the first few years of my children's lives, and that is something that would require my future husband to have a better-than-average income. I also have very little faith in the public school system, so I'd like to be able to send my kids to private school for the entirety of their educational lives. Again, that requires a better-than-average family income in most situations.

3 people like this

I need a better car.

What kind of car do you have? How many miles does it have right now?

Nothing wrong with your car. If it still works? 👠You're good

6 people like this

Honda Accord 2006 with 130k miles, all beat up.

Especially since it is a Honda, you will never need another car until we have flying cars.  Your Honda will never quit.  Don't worry about that slight oil drip that an idiot might complain about.  Honda engines are built like no other; they design the tolerances of the engine to tighten up while it is WARM, not cold.  Tight tolerances mean ideal compression ratios which maximize engine efficiency !!!  This is why Honda 4-cylinders have their own racing class, because no one can compete with them.

The aged look I am guessing makes it look all "beat up" is the evidence of aging like fine wine.  It is a testament to the immunity of your functioning Honda to disfunction from age.  Use it to gloat that no matter how old it gets, it will still run, even if it becomes nothing more than an engine and a frame.  Please hang onto your HONDA !!!

(I drive a Honda much older than yours, and I will never get rid of mine either.  0sm)

4 people like this

Money matters, how much I'm not sure. You can live without it if you choose to. You can also let it control and ruin you if you're not careful.

The amount of money you have doesn't make you a better or worse person.

Its how you use it

Rule of thumb is not to be in poverty and not obsessed with money.

"How much can you help a friend in poverty if you're in debt yourself?"

3 people like this

Lol, you definitely don't need a new car. Shoot, I'm driving a '97 Toyota Corolla with over 250k miles on it, and I'm gonna ride this thing out until it dies. It's paid for, the maintenance is dirt cheap, it's reliable, and it gets me where I need to go.

I would hang on that Honda as long as possible if I were you, at 130k miles that thing is still a baby.

Also, I don't recommend getting stuff to impress people. Telling someone that they need a new car because it's a little old is very shallow and ignorant. Some of the wealthiest people drive older and less flashy cars. It's financially smart, and it also shows that you're secure enough to not need to 'prove' your wealth to others.

9 people like this

Dont get a new car or new clothes because well off guys tell you to. It's good to be yourself. Alot of the new age wealthy people I know have bad tastes. I drive a LUXURY Midnight Blue 1994 Lincoln Town Car with 120,000 miles, dress, and look like a Mens Magazine model and I'm still considered unapealing. Why? Because I dont wear Hollister t-shirts or wear 500 dollar Nikes or drive the brand new top of the line Dodge Charger. Not to mention alot of the time looking wealthy can attract alot of bad attention. You dont want a partner who simply makes judgments based on whats on the outside. As far as finding someone who is well off, simply act on what you think and know is right because if you or any of us were to follow the crowds we would not be us. Who ever told you that has some major self insecurities.  

All I know is that the people I see driving nice cars are the ones who either cash loan checks and/or have no money in their accounts. Appearances are not everything. My opinion is, if you like your car, save your money towards the future.

I’m terribly late to the party.

I wouldn’t put too much stock in what others think you should do. These people may be wealthy and pay cash for things, but it’s been my experience most people are up to their eyeballs in debt trying to impress others. Doubt that’s a road you want to go down. Pun intended.

I recommend reading “The Millionaire Next Doorâ€. Generally the truly wealthy you wouldn’t know from looking at them. Most drive ordinary cars and aren’t terribly concerned what people think of them.

Both of my vehicles have over 200 thousand and I plan to drive them till they die. I do all my maintenance, so that saves money. Plus I pay cash for my vehicles, so no money piddled away on interest.

Honda’s really are quite reliable. I’d keep it.

This topic reminds me of a comment I saw on a forum. A guy would weed out materialistic women by picking them up in a beater. If they agreed to a second date he picked them up in his Corvette. That’s one way of doing things!

It isn't important to be 'well-off,' I think that quality people find someone who is really passionate about something in their life, most attractive. Be it work, or even a hobby. Someone superficial would value a 'nicer' car more than who you are as a person. Who wants that..

2 people like this