Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GodsPhysicist

Today (Aug./16/2015) the count is: 4848 members...

8 posts in this topic

I just noticed that the count is 4848 members on our WTM site and counting.  This is just plain awesome!

So, I have marked the date in this thread.  The reason I thought of this is that its amazing that there are almost 5000 members!  It would be very interesting to see how long it takes to get to 10000.

If anyone can tell me when the site first started, we will be able to do a rough 3 point fit to an exponential climb in the rate at which new members join.  I need three points to fit two parameters whose trend that I insist must intersect exactly 1 member at time equals zero.  I can then estimate how long it will take to reach 10000 members with the current trends.  Since it is reasonable to assume that out of ~7 billion people on the planet, we only have an extremely small ratio of waiters that have actually joined the site to how many more are actually out there somewhere.  This means that the climb is incredibly slow compared to the potential climb that the world population of waiters can actually accommodate.  Hence, I pick an exponential climb to start (which approximates the beginning of an "S-curve").

Of course, this trend won't continue to be exponential, but that's the beauty of this study now.  It turns out, that the trend eventually will "S-curve" and tail-off to a certain number.  That number should be proportional to the amount of people that are actually waiting for marriage all over the world.  The reason for this, is that the populations that don't have any access, interest, or ability to join the site will begin to dominate the tailing-off of the S-curve.

How about that?  Let's figure out how many waiters are actually in the world.  This will be especially of interest to people who want to know their chances of finding a mate that has also waited.  I am GP, and I will do the math for us...

Stay tuned...

6 people like this

This sounds very interesting I'd love to see the result. I'm sure the information (or at least some of it) that you need is on the site somewhere I remember reading something about when the site first started and how it's grown but I can't seem to find any dates now -_- maybe you could message an admin?

I think you should ask Mike (the site's founder) for some of that information. I'm sure he wouldn't mind helping you.

It wouldnt hurt for each of us to tell one of our real life WTM friends to join the site. That would double the count. Just a suggestion. :)

1 person likes this

It wouldnt hurt for each of us to tell one of our real life WTM friends to join the site. That would double the count. Just a suggestion. :)

I would add precisely zero people to the site in that case! :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the number been dropping? I thought we hit 4900 at one point.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the number been dropping? I thought we hit 4900 at one point.

Maybe we found out that they aren't really waiting...

BAH - DUM - TSSSH !!!

XD

Seriously.  For our records, count now at 8/23/2015 seems to be: 4859

2 people like this

Maybe we found out that they aren't really waiting...

BAH - DUM - TSSSH !!!

XD

Seriously. For our records, count now at 8/23/2015 seems to be: 4859

GP: I think exponents are a reliable method of approximation here, too :D . All the best! Did you get the founding date?

https://web.archive.org/web/20100831050427/http://waitingtillmarriage.org/

It seems like it existed even before 2010.

But not long before that; see this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100831062240/http://forums.waitingtillmarriage.org/