K.G.

What is your favorite love story?

24 posts in this topic

My personal favourite is the story of Romeo and Juliet. What's yours?

Edit: I also like Great Gatsby.

1 person likes this

The one between my two main characters in my YA book series I may or may not someday write. 

Other than that, I don't think I have any specific one that is my favorite, there's lots of nice ones out there. 

2 people like this

Twilight. Just kidding! 

I like Pyramus and Thisbe by Ovid. I think it's partly what Romeo and Juliet is based on. But as for something less tragic, I really like the storyline of the movie Leap Year. 

1 person likes this

I'd have to say I have three that I can think of...

Anne Frank and Peter van Pels (real)

Allie Hamilton and Noah Calhoun (fictional)

Landon Carter and Jamie Sullivan (fictional)

Though, I am quite sure I have more... :)

1. Jesus and His Bride the church (the sacrifice He made for all who will receive Him)

2. Jesus and myself (my personal story)

:wub:  :)

5 people like this

The one between my two main characters in my YA book series I may or may not someday write. 

^^^ I've got high hopes for the little novels in my head. Now, I just have to get them out of my head and into the world. I can think of at least three couples who I think would be really amazing love stories. No spoilers, though.

Other than that, Phantom of the Opera is pretty romantic in the end. He knows he's going to die without her and spend the last weeks of his life alone, but he lets her go and marry the man she loves anyway. So sad...

xxx

EDIT: No, I can think of at least four, actually, although the last one is just going to be this ordinary married couple in their thirties who just love each other and stick with each other no matter what. Even that's pretty unusual in novels nowadays, I think...

1 person likes this

Sam Witwicky and whatever Megan Fox's character's name was. Such an intriguing, nuanced romance. So sad it didn't last.

1 person likes this

Twilight. Just kidding! 

I see what you did there..

1 person likes this

My personal favourite is the story of Romeo and Juliet. What's yours?

I have to respectfully disagree with Romeo and Juliet being a love story at all. I think it's just a story about two angsty teenagers who are driven by raging hormones and suicidal tendencies, not love. 

This is most evident by the fact that the entire play starts on a Sunday and ends on the following Thursday, not even a week! So within just five days, the couple goes from meeting at a party to getting married literally the next day and then committing suicide just a few days later supposedly all in the name of love. Some people can't even decide whether they would want a second date within five days, let alone deciding to kill yourself to be another person.

Let's not forget the part when Romeo supposedly falls in love with Juliet the moment he lays eyes on her. The whole "love at first sight" mantra is just nonsense. There is lust at first site, but not love because all he had to go on are looks. Could you imagine if Juliet was butt ugly? Romeo wouldn't have even given her a second thought. 

I really don't understand why this play is considered the iconic love story. Yes, love does make people do crazy things, but suicide is simply a sign of emotional and mental instability that is in desperate need of counseling. Meeting someone for a few moments then making out with them for a bit doesn't qualify as being ready for marriage. It just proves that they are horny. What Romeo and Juliet really needed was a suicide hotline on their iPhones. Excuse me, their iLetters.

9 people like this

I can think of a lot of love stories that I enjoy from a drama and entertainment perspective, but not many that I think are truly good examples of a functional relationship. So I'll just have to go with...

mine and my boyfriend's.  :wub:

4 people like this

Layla and Majnun

A legendary love story that really happened. Their love was so legendary that two of the greatest poets in history, Fuzuli and Ganjavi, wrote a book about it and added it into the world literature, each with their own adaptation; the Turkic adaptation and the Persian adaptation.

Leyla and Majnun are the ones who found true love and didn't need their bodies to make love, and to keep on loving each other.

1 person likes this

I have to respectfully disagree with Romeo and Juliet being a love story at all. I think it's just a story about two angsty teenagers who are driven by raging hormones and suicidal tendencies, not love. 

This is most evident by the fact that the entire play starts on a Sunday and ends on the following Thursday, not even a week! So within just five days, the couple goes from meeting at a party to getting married literally the next day and then committing suicide just a few days later supposedly all in the name of love. Some people can't even decide whether they would want a second date within five days, let alone deciding to kill yourself to be another person.

Let's not forget the part when Romeo supposedly falls in love with Juliet the moment he lays eyes on her. The whole "love at first sight" mantra is just nonsense. There is lust at first site, but not love because all he had to go on are looks. Could you imagine if Juliet was butt ugly? Romeo wouldn't have even given her a second thought. 

I really don't understand why this play is considered the iconic love story. Yes, love does make people do crazy things, but suicide is simply a sign of emotional and mental instability that is in desperate need of counseling. Meeting someone for a few moments then making out with them for a bit doesn't qualify as being ready for marriage. It just proves that they are horny. What Romeo and Juliet really needed was a suicide hotline on their iPhones. Excuse me, their iLetters.

As far as I remember, Romeo and Juliet wasn't really supposed to be a love story. In a love story, the end goal is a resolution to the lovers' relationship (them ending up together, or being tragically separated, or whatever) whereas Romeo and Juliet couldn't have a satisfying ending until the feud between their families ended. The play begins with the feud, and it ends when the feud does. Romeo and Juliet's love was only a catalyst for the reconciliation between the Montagues and Capulets. I assume Shakespeare made it that way because love is the most powerful connection there is, and Romeo and Juliet just being friends wouldn't have had the same effect. Basically, in my opinion, it's a story in which love plays a prominent role, not a love story.

As for my favourite love stories:

- Marius and Cosette from Les Misérables.

- Ellana and Edwin from Pierre Bottero's books (he's my favourite French author).

- Nils and Alma PÃ¥lsson (real people). They lived in Sweden in the early 1900s and had four little children. Nils moved to Chicago when a coal strike caused him to lose his job, and he spent the next two years working as hard as he could to buy his family passage across the Atlantic. He finally raised enough money in early 1912 and sent it to his family. At the time his children were 8, almost 6, 3, and just 2 years old. Alma was only 29. They came across in third class on the Titanic. On board Alma met another Swedish man, whom she told about her husband and her new life in America. When the ship hit the iceberg, the man helped Alma and the children leave third class, but they arrived on deck too late to find a lifeboat. The man grabbed two of the children and desperately tried to look for an escape, but they were swept away by a wave, and the children were never seen again. Alma had a harmonica with her, and in her last moments it's likely that she played music to calm her little ones while the ship went down. The whole family died in the sinking. The reason why I consider this a love story is because of Nils's reaction when he found out they were gone. That testimony is so simply written, and yet you can feel just how much he must have loved his wife and children. He remarried years later, but he never recovered from Alma's death. I know it's such a tragic story (sorry!) but somehow I find it so beautiful, too.

3 people like this

In the movie "A walk to remember"...I don't remember the names of the characters but this story was really beautiful in my eyes. I know it is a fictionnal story but based on the novel written by Nicholas Sparks. He was inspired by the true story of his sister.

I also liked the true story of "The vow". But the movie had a lot of fictionnal elements added in:  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/14/krickitt-and-kim-carpenter-the-vow_n_5676474.html

I have also the true story of Bethany Hamilton and her husband Adam.

The true story of Nick Vujicic and his wife Kanae.

The true story of Joni and Ken Tada.

I find them really inspiring.

2 people like this

In the movie "A walk to remember"...I don't remember the names of the characters but this story was really beautiful in my eyes. I know it is a fictionnal story but based on the novel written by Nicholas Sparks. He was inspired by the true story of his sister.

I also liked the true story of "The vow". But the movie had a lot of fictionnal elements added in:  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/14/krickitt-and-kim-carpenter-the-vow_n_5676474.html

I have also the true story of Bethany Hamilton and her husband Adam.

The true story of Nick Vujicic and his wife Kanae.

The true story of Joni and Ken Tada.

I find them really inspiring.

Landon Carter and Jamie Sullivan...a walk to remember...that is one of mine, mentioned above. :)

2 people like this

Brian & Mia 2001-2015 in the fast and furious films. Love of cars brought them together just like other things in real life bring people together like church, careers, activism, street racing lol

I don't watch many Bollywood movies, but when I watched Veer Zaara it became my favorite romance.