Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest OneHappyGirl

Interracial Relationships

12 posts in this topic

How many of ya'll would date/marry someone out of ya'lls ethnic background?? I hope this is not offensive to anyone but I've recently encountered a situation which is been on my mind. Everyone is entitled to their own preferences so I don't see why this can't be discussed in a mature manner with out any animosity.

Setting aside what my family would want which is dating within the same ethnic background with similar family values(even though my family is very Americanized), I personally, am attracted to every ethnic group. As I've said before, I never knew about (I hate to say this word) racism until I got into college. Take for instance, Barack Obama, he gets me soo dreamy he's so adorable!!! Then there's Mark Ruffalo who's of hispanic background if I recall correctly, and then there's my last relationship which my ex was white. and I'm now attracted to a guy, who I want to date who is Dominican Republican but I know if I date/marry someone outside of my ethnic background it'll cause some strife so I don't know just thought I'd share and see how ya'll thought about certain things.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add the reason I'm attracted to almost every race is because there is nothing like a classy, sophisticated, educated man who talks and acts educated, mannerly, and sophisticated with class. Gets me every time♥

Well I'm korean and black and I've only known two guys who were korean and black (they were brothers) so It's very likely that I'll be in a interracial relationship. I have no preferences when it comes to race.

Wow, OHG! This is a very "heated" topic.

Whenever people discuss a topic like this, many people will say they don't have a preference, even if they do (I'm not referring to people here, just people in general). Honestly, I don't think it's wrong for a person to have a "racial preference". It doesn't mean that person is racist, it just means they have a physical preference. However if you have friends or family that won't "accept" a person of different ethnicity, then I don't think that's fair.

Now, with me specifically, I'm black. I do not have a racial preference. Yes, I would date/marry someone outside of my race. I've crushed on black women and white women. Again, this doesn't mean I'm "better" than anyone else; this just happens to be the way I am. "Older" generations seem to be more apprehensive about interracial dating. I think as time goes by people will care less and less about that stuff.

The guy you like is Dominican, so that means you're both Hispanic, right? I guess the problem with your family is that the guy's a bit "darker"?

1 Corinthians 13: For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body - whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free - and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

classy, sophisticated, educated man who talks and acts educated, mannerly, and sophisticated with class. Gets me every time♥

Gives me soooo much hope.

I like talking about stuff like this. OHG, you have a PM coming your way :-)

I would prefer marrying someone of my ethnic background, not for any racist/prejudiced reasons tho, but I just think it'd be easier since we both have the similar culture to rely on as opposed to someone of a different background whom I would have to learn the new culture, new foods, new words, etc.

Hey!

I would prefer marrying someone of my ethnic background, not for any racist/prejudiced reasons tho, but I just think it'd be easier since we both have the similar culture to rely on as opposed to someone of a different background whom I would have to learn the new culture, new foods, new words, etc.

That's a very good point. It'd definitely be easier to marry someone who was the same race, but I'd certainly date/marry someone of a different ethnic background.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add the reason I'm attracted to almost every race is because there is nothing like a classy, sophisticated, educated man who talks and acts educated, mannerly, and sophisticated with class. Gets me every time♥

Yeah! I don't really care about what race my husband is, as long as he's sweet and romantic and kind and caring and loving... *sighs dreamily*

xxx

Absolutely none of my dad's family is interracial but one of my mom's cousins married a Chinese man and they have three daughters together: 17, 19, and 20-something. They are every bit a part of the family, even his Chinese relatives who don't speak English. At first my mom's cousin's father refused to accept her dating a Chinese man (keep in mind this was in the seventies or early eighties,) but he came to love her boyfriend (later husband) like his own son.

I would like to think I would have no problems dating/marrying a guy of a different race. I mean, my absolute best friend is Chinese and my school was very, very multicultural. I'm sure neither of my parents care about race, except...well I don't think my dad - and especially some of my dad's family - would be happy if I dated or married an Arab just because we are Jewish and very pro-Israel (and we have family there.) But hey, that wouldn't stop me if I had real feelings. But yes, that could cause some major problems. Personally I think it would bug my dad WAY WAY more if I dated/married a smoker, or a guy who believed in God (to my dad, any religious belief is the highest form of illogicality.)

Edit: I'm caucasian, by the way.

yes, Mark, totally understand where you're coming from! This is my family's wishes as well because as you said to minimize culture diverstiy, etc and there's more understanding and it is more easier. For example, hispanic culture tends to be more family oriented versus (correct me if I'm wrong) caucasian culture tends to be more career oriented which would be a problem for me because I'd want my husband with me and my kids not consumed with work. It'd be soo depressing! lol

Wow, OHG! This is a very "heated" topic.

Whenever people discuss a topic like this, many people will say they don't have a preference, even if they do (I'm not referring to people here, just people in general). Honestly, I don't think it's wrong for a person to have a "racial preference". It doesn't mean that person is racist, it just means they have a physical preference. However if you have friends or family that won't "accept" a person of different ethnicity, then I don't think that's fair.

Now, with me specifically, I'm black. I do not have a racial preference. Yes, I would date/marry someone outside of my race. I've crushed on black women and white women. Again, this doesn't mean I'm "better" than anyone else; this just happens to be the way I am. "Older" generations seem to be more apprehensive about interracial dating. I think as time goes by people will care less and less about that stuff.

The guy you like is Dominican, so that means you're both Hispanic, right? I guess the problem with your family is that the guy's a bit "darker"?

1 Corinthians 13: For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body - whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free - and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

Gives me soooo much hope.

I like talking about stuff like this. OHG, you have a PM coming your way :-)

oh okay ThatGuy! Yeah I understand what you mean, guess I phrased that wrong. I should've said which race is a person's preference! ha Personally, I prefer dating white men but I'm open to dating all races as long as they are classy, educated, and well-bred.

& I'm glad TG it does!! :D

Hey!

Yeah! I don't really care about what race my husband is, as long as he's sweet and romantic and kind and caring and loving... *sighs dreamily*

xxx

teeehheee!!! haha oh Jegs! I totally get where you're coming from! *sighs dreamily too* :)

ive dated outside my race before and I dont care if I marry someone who is not my color, or from my culture or background. I have this conversation with some of my friends whose parents will disown them for marrying a black person, i dont know why its always black(African American or person of African descent) that seems to be the main No-No racial category when marrying. But be that as it may, I am still baffled by this because most of them are christian. I mean dont they know that adam and eve were made from the dust of the earth(Genesis2:7). what dust is white? more than likely Adam and Eve were, brown, red, or black :P ive got interracial couples all in my family, neither of my great grandmothers were the same race. My mothers background is just as diverse as my Dads, my family tree conssit of African descent-American and ethiopian,irish,philipino,indian, so to be against interracial dating would be hypocritical on my part.

later lovers :D

Love is unconditional; it doesn't know race or color.

I'd gladly date and marry outside of my race.

1 person likes this