Mike

Waiting Till Marriage Movies or TV Shows?

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Trying to put together a list of movies that appeal to us waiting-till-marriage/waiting-on-whatever people.

It's harder to find movies than it is to find songs, but in general if you watched a movie that helped reinforce your decision to wait, I want to hear about it.

So far I can think of...

The Notebook - Allie waited.
  • Pushing Daisies - Ned and Charlotte (Chuck) are madly in love, but can't touch.
  • Serendipity - The magical nature of finding the right person

Post your own! Any movie that makes you feel better about waiting works...it doesn't have to be explicitly about waiting.

Off the top of my head...

The 40-year-old Virgin- Even after 40 years, he STILL waiting til after his wedding!

Easy A- Whatever we choose to do, it's really no one else's business.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall- Jack McBrayer's character and his new wife can't quite figure out what to do on their honeymoon, but with a little practice they're going at it like pros!

Degrassi High- Simon and Alex waited, though many of their friends disagreed with their choice. This was smart, though, especially since on Degrassi someone gets pregnant or contracts an STD almost every episode.

Sex and the City- Charlotte and Trey waited until their wedding day, but Charlotte decided she couldn't wait anymore and attempted to sleep with him before the ceremony. Only to find he had erectile dysfunction. I've also secretly blamed all their marital problems (and eventual divorce) on messing up right before the wedding :P

Hey Sarah!

Wow I would never have guessed that a Sex and the City character would wait until marriage, even if it was only added to serve some plot device like "hiding ED".

And now I'm going to go see Easy A.

On the Degrassi High thing --- any chance you remember specific episodes where they discuss Simon & Alex's waiting a lot? Might be fun to track down some clips and do a site feature. :-)

Great post! I may have to build us a whole Movie List feature like the song list. B)

Joan of Arcadia is a good one. Joan is with her boyfriend, and in love with him, for about a year and still decides she's not ready to have sex. I guess it doesn't ever say that she wants to wait till marriage, but it still has that kind of message.

Also... I don't know that this really made me feel better about waiting, and in fact it pokes a bit of fun at the idea, but the couple does wait until they are married-- Robin Hood: Men in Tights. :D Such a funny movie.

There's also a character in the movie Saved! that is insistent on waiting until she's married ("and I'll use force if necessary," she says, while blowing holes in a target on the gun range). But she's not a very good role model.

Mike-In the Notebook, Allie and Noah have sex in the abandoned house--and they aren't married =/ I wish it were true, but in all of Nicholas Sparks' books, charaacters have sex before they're married, but while in serious, committed relationships (that lead to marriage, but not the case in real life =P)

A Walk to Remember - Shane West's character is kind of a player, but changes his ways when he falls in love with Mandy Moore's WTM character

Most Regency Era (Jane Austen), Victorian (the Bronte sisters), and Elizabethan (Shakespeare) stories relate to WTM in an indirect way since WTM was the norm back then.

One of my personal faves is the Kenneth Branagh adaptation of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. Much Ado is very WTM centric since the crux of one of the two main plot lines is that the would-be groom refuses to marry his bride-to-be because he mistakenly believes that she is not a virgin. While I certainly don't think there's anything bad or wrong if other people don't want to WTM, I really like this story because it's nice to reminisce about a time when society viewed NOT waiting as unthinkable, instead of the other way around.

Tiny Dancer--I love A Walk to Remember---if only more guys were like Shane West in that movie. :P *sigh* lol

Tiny Dancer--I love A Walk to Remember---if only more guys were like Shane West in that movie. :P *sigh* lol

I couldn't agree more! :P

In One Tree Hill, Haley and Nathan WTM---althought they get married at 16/17 :P but still counts!

Holy crap. Great list, ThatGuy. Now I think we've got enough for a Movies/TV Shows page too! B)