Heather

Ladies, What is the oldest and youngest you would date?

81 posts in this topic

Anyone hear of a sort of Rule of 7? Divide your age in 2, add 7, and that is the youngest you should date. As you get older your age range increases.

So the youngest I should date is 16? I'm only 18, but I think I would feel like a total creeper if I dated a 16-year-old boy! lol. Especially since he could currently be in grade 10, while I am in first year university. Ugh... >.<

Yea Gil, i'd generally use that rule.

But you know we're all talk until we meet "the one" that may not fit our rules.

Bahaha I like that Naturally---I have a friend who has a couple main things: Christian, OSU fan, likes country music, 6 foot tall, 6 pack.....a friend and I tried to tell her that the 6 ft 6 pack 'might not be realistic' to put it nicely lol! She liked a guy who was like that, but we were like, you're 5'2", you should be a little more realistic like 5'7" and up or 5'8" and up haha....

1 person likes this

I have a friend who has a couple main things: Christian, OSU fan, likes country music, 6 foot tall, 6 pack.....a friend and I tried to tell her that the 6 ft 6 pack 'might not be realistic' to put it nicely lol! She liked a guy who was like that, but we were like, you're 5'2", you should be a little more realistic like 5'7" and up or 5'8" and up haha....

i can't remember who said it, but it went something along the lines of "you can't have anything on your list that is non-negotiable for somebody else if you don't have it yourself". I completely agree with that, unless you are working towards a quality that you think is mandatory in your future spouse, like speaking multiple languages or being really fit. I think the one exception would be height since you can't really help that, but i might be biased since I'm just under 5'4" :). would it be nice to be able to reach all of the top shelves in the kitchen? yes. would i have that crazy surgery that would give me a few extra inches? absolutely not, i'm not that desperate and there are tall people around most of the time. and when there aren't tall people there are chairs. lol. but i'm also not holding out for a super tall guy either.

1 person likes this

I agree with everybody's points on here so far! As long as the gap isn't outrageous (20 years is wayyy more than I'd be comfortable with, lol), I don't think I'd mind a bit of an age difference. I'm 25, so maybe plus or minus 5 years...? I do have a hard time picking a solid age range though... I just feel like people are so different, who knows? We all mature at different rates, so while the whole 'females mature faster than males' thing generally holds true (at least in my experience) and I'd most likely have more in common with someone my age or a bit older, I could totally see connecting with a guy who was younger. I guess it comes down to compatibility and what stages of life we're both in. If given an ideal choice, I'd say the closer to my own age the better.

well my youngest bf was 18 and never really dated anyone older but the oldest to hit on me was like 60 lol

Seriously! lol I've never really been attracted to guys my own age because the majority of them were immature jerks.

My point exactly. :/

I dated a guy that was two years younger than me. Never again.

I'm at the point in my life where I want a guy who wants to think about marriage and a lifelong commitment with somebody else. I'm finding that hard to come by with guys close to my age. So, with me being almost 21, the range I'm seeking out is 23-26.

I don't want to date boys, I want to date men. ;) Reasons boys are generally from what i've found far too immature. So i would date 10 years older than me. And saying one year younger than me is very unlikely. One year younger would be my absolute limit. But even then the guy really needs to be Mature. But from what i've seen boys younger and my own age really aren't even close.

2 people like this

well...mostly older or the same at this point since i'm 18. but i wouldn't be opposed to the idea of keeping a 5-10 yr radius in a few years -- i'm not gonna rule out all 18 year old guys even in my twenties because there are diamonds in the rough. i don't know every single 18 year old guy, so i have no right to say they're all too immature for me and it'd be wrong to rule him out cause of age.

Good question. I'm 24 now, and I'd say the oldest would be 31-32 since I'll be 25 in December and the youngest would be 20-21. But even that might be too young just because of out differences in maturity levels. However, I've met some surprisingly mature younger guys, and surprisingly immature older guys... So I tend to just go with what I feel from guy to guy, ya know? Age doesn't bother me too much except when there's a large gap... No can do haha.

Even though I've decided marriage is probably not for me, I hope ya'll don't mind if I respond to this. Since I'm fifty one, I must say that the question got my attention. But honestly, when it comes to the older side of the coin, many of the answers are . . . interesting, to say the least: "Father/daughter relationship", "age bracket," "10 years older," "guys in their 20s," "23 to 24," "25 to 33," "one year older," "1 to 5 years older," "five year discrepancy," "no more than 12 years older," "like 33," "early 30s," "5 years older," "maybe 30," "20 years older," 8 years older," "older than that I think it's a bit disturbing," "Hugh Hefner creepy," "not sure." I'm going to have to open up my spreadsheet and crunch those numbers - feeling sort of dizzy.

If you take sex out of the equation and assume he is a Christian guy still waiting, what difference does age make? So all the guys over 40-50 who have had the self control and maturity to wait are Hugh Hefner creepy and not eligible to marry . . . anybody? Or maybe only a "girl" between 50 and 90? What are the odds of finding one in that age range who has waited? An older guy who has had a career and has waited his entire lifetime miraculously does meet the right girl to spend the rest of his life with and that automatically becomes an incestual "dauther/father relationship? Wow. Enlightening. I think I'll get back to my bingo.

But you know we're all talk until we meet "the one" and they may not fit our rules.

SOOOO true.

2 people like this

My husband is 7.5 years older than me.

However, he looks the same age as me (he has such a youthful face, that will come in handy when he's older for sure!)

Honestly, the age gap hasn't even been a problem between us. I usually forget there is one, to be honest.

Love knows no numbers, but at least be old enough (18) if you're going to go for the 10+ year difference.

Which "sounds better?"

18 year old and a 28 year old

30 year old and 40 year old

Same age difference.

4 people like this

Early to mid/late twenties is preferable. 8 years older or 1 year younger. Otherwise I think it would be difficult for me personally to relate and/or be attracted to him.

I'm nineteen, but I'm not attracted to boys that are nineteen. I like men over 25, at least. Someone more established than me--that can teach me the ways of the world!

Im suprised I havent replied to this forum yet. I generally like guys who are 30+ in terms of maturity, intellect, life stage and experience, looks, etc. The idea of a male with a fully developed brain and body is appealling. That is a pretty big age gap right now but Ill grow up someday. Besides when Im 60 I will probably still like guys in their 30s. Haha.

1 person likes this

Ooh yeah. So if I was 18 I wouldnt mind dating a guy in their 30s, I would love it. Although age gaps 20+ would start to be pushing it. Theres some things that can be a problem when it comes to big age gaps. But, sometimes it can be a good thing! And hey, who knows, like someone else said, you may end up marrying someone completely different than the one youve had in your head.

1 person likes this

It is probably just a strange quirk of mine, but I really can't stomach the idea of dating someone younger than me, even if he is just a few months younger. I know that this is irrational; people mature at different ages, and my dream might very well be younger than me. But at this stage in my life, the idea is such a turn-off. It is funny though, because both of my grandmothers were older than my grandfathers; if it weren't for when marrying younger men, I wouldn't be alive. Hopefully, my future husband is older than me, because if he isn't, I am going to need some serious prodding to give him a chance.

When I was younger, my dating range was smaller, and I wouldn't have felt comfortable dating anyone more than two years older than me. Now that I am 24, it feels natural for the range to grow a bit, to where I still would feel most comfortable with someone nearest my age, but I'd be willing to stretch the range as far as five years - and more, I suppose, for the right person. I guess my main concern about being with someone much older than me is that I want to be able to experience a lot of things in life with him for the first time, rather than just have him be set in his ways with a "been there, done that," attitude.

These are where my preferences lie for now, but I will do my best to be flexible. I know that my future husband will not be entirely what I imagine, for better and for worse, but that is good. He doesn't have to be perfect, as long as he's perfect for me.

I won't date anyone younger than me but I will take same age he has to be pretty spectacular if he's younger to turn my head. No one who is 7 years older than me- my brother is 7 older and I think he (and the rest of the family) would be weirded out if I dated someone older than him.

I've always been attracted to guys that are older than me. I think it would be safe to say I would date someone maybe 2 years younger than me and possibly up to around 12 years my senior. Most guys mature later than girls. Sorry fellas :P

Being 22, I'd say the youngest would be 20, and the oldest would be 27 or something like that... The thing is, I have younger brothers and dating a guy their age would just feel weird. Older guys yes, but not much more than 5 years or else I'll start feeling like a kid next to him.

I'm 20 right now and I think the youngest I would go would be 18 (but they would have to be out of highschool!) and the guy I like is 25 which I think is about my limit when it comes to older, about 5 years. This is the first time that I've actually like a guy older than myself, but I think it might work out since I don't want "immature" dating. (Does that make since?) I want to date to find the man I'm going to marry and have a family with. I think my chances of finding that at my age would improve if I dated someone a little older.