Weapon X

C'mon ladies, do you really all want to have a wedding?

34 posts in this topic

The thing is in the end it's the devotion and loyalty for each other which matter. It really doesn't matter whether one is getting married following all the rituals or not. Personally speaking, I would love to have a very small ceremony surrounded by only those I love.

1 person likes this

1. Give me a pastor to marry us
  2. Give me my husband-to-be
  3. I'll be there too.
  4. My mother and someone else...

Happily married!

Never was into the wedding thing. Too much planning, too much work, hate huge crowds. Just our commitment and romance is great for me. That would mean so much more to me than the event itself. So I do want a wedding, but I'm very happy with a teeny tiny one like in "Runaway Bride" at the end.

This is a tough one. In the Eastern tradition, weddings are usually about the family (which includes the bride and groom), rather than being centred around the bride and groom. So for example, for my wedding, my parents and my groom's parents' opinion counted just as much as ours did with the planning! So we had to take everyone's values and priorities and try to come up with a solution that benefitted everyone - which was difficult!

For example, one of the three days of our wedding was considered to be the day where the extended family comes and blesses the new bride and groom - and cutting out that day is like telling family members that you don't care about their blessings! On top of that, my parents were both well known in our community, so not inviting community members would have been seen as very disrespectful, and a lot of people would have been hurt.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that sometimes big weddings in certain traditions happen in an effort to honour family member traditions as a sign of respect to the family. I'm not saying that it doesn't come with its own caveats - a three day wedding is generally more expensive than a one day one unless you plan very carefully 

Even though I have a simple non-materialistic personality, I also wanted ensure that my family members felt valued - so I expressed my simplicity in other ways - like having a smaller reception, a cheaper decorator, a more simple reception dress and make up etc, choosing 'home' for one of the events and a very cheap hall for another event . Luckily we managed to save a lot of money that way, and it ended up being around the same cost as an average American wedding.

1 person likes this

On 8/18/2016 at 8:39 AM, Selina said:

In the Eastern tradition, weddings are usually about the family (which includes the bride and groom), rather than being centred around the bride and groom.

If you don't mind me asking, what culture specifically?

Hi! :) From my own observation,  the above thinking is very common across multiple cultures - in particular  Indian/ Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Sri Lankan weddings, as well as in Afghani weddings.

It is probably common in other cultures from countries across the Middle East as well, but I don't know for sure because I've never been to a wedding where the couple is from Saudi Arabia/Iran/Iraq/Yemen etc

1 person likes this

My bf is really pushing for a smaller wedding if we get married just cause he hates formal events due to his social anxiety. I tried asking him to a dance and he kind of freaked out and almost fainted at the thought of going to a formal event! I will probably keep it to my immediate and extended family, no friends or anything except maybe for a few bridesmaids. 

Besides, the more people, the more expenses multiply. 

On 6/28/2015 at 11:39 AM, Weapon X said:

Lots of people on here are looking forward to the wedding and the wedding night. It's all very traditional.

I on the other hand would prefer to not have a wedding. I'd prefer to be married without the wedding ceremony. Personally I don't like big social events like that since I'm a quiet person in general and don't like being the center of attention.

Anyone else prefer to just become legally married without a ceremony? Ultimately it's the marriage that's most important.

First of all, I love the M5 badge. If you have one, then I am very jealous.

I could not agree more! Here’s what I think…

The idea of a traditional wedding terrifies me, marriage does not. I would rather spend a fraction of that money on a destination wedding. We pick an exotic and fun destination, find a pastor, photographer and seal the deal. Plus you get to skip all the drama that comes along with traditional ceremonies. And you actually get to enjoy your wedding lol

1 person likes this