GodsPhysicist

What do you LIKE about WTM ?

14 posts in this topic

So, I have seen some "doom `n` gloom" in the forum about waiting and the pain-in-the-ass it seems to be at times. I wanted to shift gears instead.

I figure one of the most encouraging approaches to waiting is to ask the following question:

"What do you actually like best about waiting until marriage?"

I figure if the posts begin to add up in this thread, then I think people can refer to it for some real T.L.C. when it really counts.  I invite everyone to remember what wonderful things you folks were able to do with your lives without sex stopping you on the day you folks decided to wait...

4 people like this

For me, the most important part is the celibacy.  It keeps me focused on a potential long-term, fulfilling relationship in my future.  If I didn't wait, then the failed relationships might start adding up and that's the last thing I want.

The act of waiting also puts the person I'm dating to the test.  Anyone can claim they are some "knight in shining armor".  But actions speak louder than words and many men don't take your verbal explanation of waiting seriously and push the boundaries.  If they push the boundaries when I told them I was waiting, then time to say good bye to them (which seems to be most of them). 

7 people like this

Anyone can claim they are some "knight in shining armor". But actions speak louder than words and many men don't take your verbal explanation of waiting seriously and push the boundaries. If they push the boundaries when I told them I was waiting, then time to say good bye to them (which seems to be most of them).

They need to take 4 words and put them into action. "Will you marry me?". That is the ultimate commitment. A commitment horny guys or cheaters or those just looking for something casual will not be able to make.

You're a great person and you're looking out for your kid and yourself by not letting just anyone into your life in such an intimate way without knowing if he's the real deal. It will take time but I believe you'll eventually meet the right man. The one that will put his love and respect for you before his need for a sexual aspect of a relationship.

4 people like this

Well said Queen. I agree that WTM allows us to focus more on long lasting relationships. Other benefits include no past sexual partners and no heartache.    

I've read more into a couple guys than was actually there . . . seeing what I wanted to see, I suppose. That's not to say we didn't have mad chemistry, but clearly the real affection was all on my side. I had the most profound crush of my life on a young man at college. It lasted nearly 3 years and was a total infatuation. Once I left, I thought about him for at least a year. Looking back, I'm pretty sure he never gave me a second thought when I wasn't right in front of him.

WTM has allowed me to hold onto my dignity, at least where men are concerned. I don't want to be some DudeBro's high-five the morning after. I'm more than that. I'm sure I made a fool of myself getting so attached to nothing, but at least the foolishness took place mostly in my head.

5 people like this

- I really like the fact that I've "dodged a lot of bullets", so to speak. No having kids before I'm ready, no STDs, less temptation because I don't have any memories to draw from; I honestly have no regrets about putting dating off while I was in school. Even without sex, just not being 'jaded' from past relationships and having a clean slate is a great thing. 

- The feeling of 'going against the grain' is cool. In today's culture where hook-ups are common, being able to say "I'm saving sex until marriage" is acknowledging that I'm taking the road less traveled. Sure, being an outlier can be lonely at times, but at the same time I feel like I'm setting an example. A lot of people don't even think that it's possible to not have sex, and honestly it's a guilty pleasure of mine to see people's shocked reactions when they realise that you're a v-card holder.

8 people like this

The reaction on a doctors face when they ask if it's possible you're pregnant, and you tell them you're a virgin....especially at 35y/o. lol they really are, honestly, some of the funniest moments of my life. A few years ago I was admitted for severe abdominal pain. Turns out it was ovary problems, which I've had a lot of in life, and I think they were actually talking about me outside of my room. I was so nonchalant about it, I don't think they knew what to say. They lose their poker face and, at least the really good doctors, have a few seconds of purely being stunned. I love it. :D

6 people like this

The reaction on a doctors face when they ask if it's possible you're pregnant, and you tell them you're a virgin....especially at 35y/o. lol they really are, honestly, some of the funniest moments of my life. A few years ago I was admitted for severe abdominal pain. Turns out it was ovary problems, which I've had a lot of in life, and I think they were actually talking about me outside of my room. I was so nonchalant about it, I don't think they knew what to say. They lose their poker face and, at least the really good doctors, have a few seconds of purely being stunned. I love it. :D

I was in hospital for surgery recently and of course they ask if there's the possibility that you're pregnant. My answer was not unless it's the second immaculate conception! ;)

3 people like this

- The feeling of 'going against the grain' is cool. In today's culture where hook-ups are common, being able to say "I'm saving sex until marriage" is acknowledging that I'm taking the road less traveled. Sure, being an outlier can be lonely at times, but at the same time I feel like I'm setting an example. A lot of people don't even think that it's possible to not have sex, and honestly it's a guilty pleasure of mine to see people's shocked reactions when they realise that you're a v-card holder.

Aw man, I was just about to say the same thing! People these days seem to think if you haven't lost your virginity by age 5, you're somehow a freak. They act as if virginity is a disease that is meant to lost as soon as possible. Um....no, syphilis is a disease. Virginity is the cure! I love what you said about setting an example for other people. Because especially as guys, we are often told we are not a man unless we slept with half the girls in town plus their mothers. But really, that is the road of immature boys. It's easy to follow the crowd and spread our seed around. But no one ever gets points for taking the easy route. That would be like expecting credit for never gone to jail. No, it takes strength to show restraint and to treat women with respect and dignity.

I was in hospital for surgery recently and of course they ask if there's the possibility that you're pregnant. My answer was not unless it's the second immaculate conception! ;)

Um...just so you know, the Immaculate Conception isn't about the birth of Jesus, though it is a common misconception! AHAHA!!! That was a knee slapper :P

But the Immaculate Conception is actually the Catholic (and false!) belief that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was born free from original and personal sin. (I love you, Jegs ;) )

5 people like this

Um...just so you know, the Immaculate Conception isn't about the birth of Jesus, though it is a common misconception! AHAHA!!! That was a knee slapper :P

But the Immaculate Conception is actually the Catholic (and false!) belief that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was born free from original and personal sin. (I love you, Jegs ;) )

Ooops sorry! It's been a long time since those Sunday School days! My bad but thanks for correcting me :)

I haven't had to answer the "are you sexually active" question since I was a teenager, but I'm not looking forward to it. I already feel vulnerable enough at the doctor's office, adding on telling him/her how I'm not getting laid without the context that it's by choice will be a bit awkward for me personally.

As for my favorite thing about waiting...other than the potential payoff I'm hoping for, there's not really that much. I guess not having to worry about fitting into the mainstream dating scene and going after sex on a regular basis. It seems like a lot of work.

Huh...didn't know that. Though now that I think about it we never really used the term, I always assumed it was a fancy term for Jesus' conception.

But you're wrong. Mary was born free from original and personal sin...as was everyone else. (I love you, Christians ;) )

5 people like this

Not having to get married just because I got pregnant then turning around and ending up getting a divorce later because we were not compatible. Seems to be a lot of that going around now a days...

2 people like this

Been a while since I posted anything, but I think the something I enjoy is that I am free. I don't have to worry about anything like that right now. I'm waiting cause its what's right and in turn I'm pretty much at peace with anything romantic or sexual. So I get a chance to just live life and have fun. It also gives me a chance to focus on other things right now such as God and myself I know typical Christian cliché, but it's true focusing on God and myself is probably the best thing that could happen for me right now.

1 person likes this

I don't have to worry about stds. I don't have to worry about a guy humping and dumping me like I'm a product. WTM is awesome for me because I can weed certain guys out. Guys who might only care about sex, or sex in a relationship. Guys who might want to brag about sleeping with a virgin. At least if a guy waits for me it shows that he's actually willing to go the extra mile. It shows that he actually cares about me and not what's between my legs.

2 people like this