Jegsy Scarr

Going to Rome...

18 posts in this topic

Hey, guys!

I'll be on holiday in Rome for a week, so I won't be on the site till I get back. Just letting you know so you don't freak out that I'm gone, or something.

See you then!

xxx

5 people like this

Hope your trip to Rome is a fun and safe one, :). I hear the pasta is excellent.

1 person likes this

Have fun and high five the pope for me while you're there :P

4 people like this

How exciting! Have a great time, we will miss having you on this site!

1 person likes this

Enjoy your vacation and have a safe trip !!

1 person likes this

Well, I'm back! Now I just need to gradually sift through all the new forum posts to catch up...

Thanks for all your nice comments and whatnot. I had fun, and I saw a lot! I did get to see the Pope pretty close up at his Papal Audience on Wednesday, but no chance for a high-five, unfortunately (I saw someone else give him a hug). Ah, well, maybe next time.

Food was awesome! My parents and I just stuck to the same basic schedule every day, really: breakfast in the morning, have a lunch of pizza or pasta, and then just go out for ice cream in the evening. It seemed to work really well, and I didn't really get hungry, or anything, so maybe I should stick with the ice cream every night. (Vince, you'll be pleased to know that we found this great ice cream place that had a selection of vegan flavours)

The churches there are so beautiful, too! Every one of them is all pretty and whatnot with paintings and candles and stuff. I got to visit the church where St Catherine of Siena (my confirmation saint) is buried (well, her body is there, but her head is in Siena). Sistine Chapel was pretty, but you did hurt your neck trying to look at everything, and there were all these darn tourists in the way...

It was so hot, though. But the apartment we were staying in had really good air conditioning, so that was good. And inside the churches was cool, because of the marble, maybe. I went to an English-speaking Mass on Sunday (but I did go to one in Italian the day before, too), and that was the only time I think it was really too hot inside a church, mostly because of how crowded it was, I think. But it was the just after Corpus Christi, and the priest gave a really great homily.

Oh, and right around the corner from our apartment was a pet shop, selling the two cutest little kittens ever. Plus, they had a really cool parrot (blue and gold macaw), but I don't think it was for sale. And for some reason, sausage dogs are really popular pets over there, because everyone seemed to be walking them.

Oh, and I saw the Swiss Guards at the Vatican! I was a little worried that they'd be like those guards at Buckingham Palace who aren't allowed to smile and whatnot, but these ones did smile. Did you know that they all have to be single, Catholic men between the ages of 18-30? I saw one with glasses who was really really cute *sigh*...

There were so many people on the street corners trying to sell stuff. You know, the one-euro souvenir bottle openers, the genuine-designer-not-at-all-fake handbags, and whatnot. And for whatever reason, there were people everywhere selling selfie-sticks. Also, they have a lot of souvenir shops that sell the exact same things. For some reason, every shop seemed to be selling nodding Pope Francises, glow-in-the-dark rosary beads, and calenders of nothing but (I kid you not) pictures of the penises on ancient marble statues, including Michaelangelo's David.

Okay, I'm just rambling now about weird stuff. I'll stop.

TL;DR: I'm back from Rome.

xxx

9 people like this

I lived in Florence for 6 months a few years ago. Siena is beautiful so is cinque terre, chianti and pisa. Those 4 towns were so close to me. I also loved Rome. So much history it leaves you breathless. The Vatican is breathtaking as well. It was funny the amount of signs pointing to the Sistine Chapel once inside the Vatican. I thought I was never going to get there. Italy is beautiful, but I never though I would like Spain a little more. Have you been there?

Glad to have you back Jegs!

1 person likes this

Thanks for sharing with us your awesome experience in Rome.

About the Swiss guard: You are right Jegs about the requirements. I thought about being a Swiss guard once but then I realized it was impossible after looking up requirements because 1) you need to be a Swiss citizen and I'm American and 2) you need to be 5 feet 8 inches (174 cm) and I'm not that height.

I'm think Vince appreciates the vegan flavored ice cream shout out hehe.

1 person likes this

I'm think Vince appreciates the vegan flavored ice cream shout out hehe.

I think Vince would like the vegan ice cream even better if it was made by a gun-hating company like Ben & Jerry's.

But back on topic, I'm glad you had a nice trip Jegsy, and am very glad that you are back.

1 person likes this

Hey that's where I live! What area were you staying in? 

Yes the street vendors around the center/tourist areas are ridiculously present, but there have been recent changes in hopes of pushing them out so people can actually enjoy the sights without being pressured into buying yet another selfie stick haha. 

1 person likes this

Hey that's where I live! What area were you staying in? 

Yes the street vendors around the center/tourist areas are ridiculously present, but there have been recent changes in hopes of pushing them out so people can actually enjoy the sights without being pressured into buying yet another selfie stick haha. 

Sorry, just saw this! We were staying in an apartment just a little way from the Vatican, close enough to walk there in 5-10 minutes. Just a few streets away from Ottaviano, so it was great for getting around on the Metro.

xxx