Guest JDmantel

The worst physical pain you've experienced?

42 posts in this topic

My dentist told me I'm his first patient in 5 years to not have to have any wisdom teeth out :D

3 people like this

Wisdom teeth, check (for like TWO WEEKS--nothing but pain and bouts of sleep while on meds)

Menstrual cramps, check (particularly during adolescence before I discovered Midol . . . and they used to happen in my back instead of my lower abdomen. Weird.)

But I gotta say what pops foremost into my mind is a real whopper of a migraine. I've had 'em since I was a child, and most of them have been fairly manageable. But whoa baby, I've had a couple that I thought were going to hospitalize me. I could feel the pain MOVING around in my skull, and I kept writhing around trying to get into any possible position which would lessen the pain. Crazy stuff. During the first, I almost called my mom at 3AM to tell her I loved her. (Spoiler alert: I survived.)

1 person likes this

My dentist told me I'm his first patient in 5 years to not have to have any wisdom teeth out :D

I only have the top two and only one finally emerged last year. Not sure the other one will :lol:

A perforated eardrum that got infected.....Other than that dentistry pains - once had a heap of fillings done without any painkillers and I couldn't eat on one side of my mouth for about 6 months because they weren't adjusted properly. The nerval pain of teeth is a special kind of pain.....

As for broken bones. Haven't broken a bone in my body. Surprising really since I grew up in the country/a farm.  :)

When I was a kid, I fell out of a tree and broke my arm. You can still see where the bone pierced my skin. I've had many other injuries, but none that stick out in my mind as particularly severe. Guess I deal with physical pain a lot better than emotional pain. :(

1 person likes this

I read your agonies .. I'm taking my hat off for you guys.  Feeling your pain.

Im just grateful I never broke a limb.  My one molar tooth broke clean off last year.  But never had any pain.  It happend on the weekend and the dentist wasn't open.  So I'm grateful for that.  When he did a root canal, that hurt a little bit.  Because of the nerves.  

But the biggest pain I ever endure was last year December... not going to say what it was (it's too embarrassing)... it hurts a lot.  I'm just one of the unlucky people who got it from cycling and squats.. 

For two years I had an ingrown toenail. Long time ago now. (Nail-sensitive readers, beware!)

It happened when I, in agony over some stupid friendship, kicked gravel into the air a few times, to get rid of my anger. The last most intense kick I did, hit a boulder, burred in the gravel. The pain was like kicking a door-thingy times 10. My toenail split in half, horizontally. The outermost part eventually fell off, leaving me with half a toenail. When it grew back it became ingrown. Meaning it dug into my own toe's flesh, making every movement painful. We tried many remedies, especially different ways of trimming the nail. But some trims, relieving temporarily, made the next time even worse, as there was sometimes a strand of nail's edge borrowing even deeper. It was unfortunate timing, that the hospitals in Denmark that time were protesting against something, cant remember, but the waiting queue was ridiculous, and I couldn't get it operated during those years. The worst thing to happen then, was accidently kicking something. It often became infected and filled with puss. Popped like a balloon. Maintenance was impractical, so I eventually had my toenail removed several times, lost exact count but around 5 times or more. Just every time it grew back and became a problem again. Having had enough one day, my grandmother took me on a trip and I finally had it operated at a private hospital instead.

The pain wasn't the most intense single instance of pain I've had, but the entire experience put together was just terrible.

Most intense single pain, dunno, lol. Soldering iron burns, Broken limbs, probably. Oh yeah, That time when I "saved" a freshly baked lasanga from slipping onto the floor. Problem was just that it was in a thick and heavy cast iron form, with lots of thermal capacitance, and I grabbed it tight without any protection on my hands. That burn.

PS: The feeling of touching the skin beneath your toenail(after temporal removal, and skin healed), is not at all painful, but super super weird.

Physically the worst pain I've ever felt was getting my fingers smashed by the hood of a Mustang GT. I have no clue how none of my fingers broke.

When I was a kid, I tried climbing the fence of our side yard by using the doghouse (ironically, none of our dogs used it). I lost my footing and my leg scrapped in between the fence and shingles of the doghouse's roof. I was bleeding profusely and in an extreme amount of pain. I had to wear gauze from the top of my thighs down to my ankle for a week. I remember watching The Land Before Time on VHS (the first movie is great, but the sequels can burn for all I care) and being bothered by the pain of my leg's nerves.

There are two injuries that immediately stick out in my mind. One was tearing my rotator cuff at work a few years ago, and the other was stretching my Achilles tendon when I was in high school. The Achilles injury would have hurt a lot less had it torn, but truthfully none of these even compare to a broke heart. 

With a broken heart the pain is residual and can last you a lifetime, depending on the how long you were together and how much of your heart/body you chose to give to that person. 

1 person likes this

Hmmm, I've had different types of pain. Some really brief but incredibly painful, others that lasted a while and made me miserable.

I'll list both. For that blinding, millisecond of torture I had not gone to the dentist for a couple of years after I moved out of my parents home and became responsible for scheduling my own dental appointments. I had a cavity but because I hadn't been in a while it had become a deep cavity. The dentist numbed me up and was drilling when all of the sudden some horrific jolt of pain when through my tooth as I suddenly could feel the drill deep in my tooth. I felt it. He gave me another shot but apparently teeth in the lower jaw can be harder to fully numb like you can on top. I can't begin to describe how much pain a nerve inside of your tooth can emit.

I broke my wrist playing basketball once and I was in a temporary splint that night. They said they'd give me something for the pain but they forget to do it before I left and I forgot to bring it up. I didn't really mind at first because it wasn't hurting. As the night wore on and I went to bed it suddenly began to throb worse and worse and worse until it was unbearable. I couldn't even wiggle my pinky toe without it making my wrist throb worse. To make things worse I couldn't fall asleep. I should have iced it and taken lots of advil or something but I didn't know any better and just endured it all night.

I had some really bad earaches as a child. My mom never took me to the doctor to get any antibiotics so I just had to tough them out. The ear was closed up and there would be all of this pressure from fluid built up behind my eardrum. When it finally would start to drain and the clog in my Eustachian tube would break up it became agonizing and I would just scream and cry for like thirty minutes as it was breaking up and draining (I was little 6 or 7).

Lastly, I had a brief pain and a long pain all rolled into one. My friend and I dared each other to touch a grill once (as kids) to see how hot it was. I touched it and it was searing pain but it didn't go away. My fingers killed me all night and I just cried for hours.

All of those fall under the category of the "worst" pain. I'm not sure which I'd call the winner. Probably the grilling into my tooth and then suddenly being able to feel it.

So what does it mean when people are liking posts of you getting hurt/experiencing extreme pain??????????? Hmmmmmmmmm.......lol jk:D

On 5/29/2015 at 2:50 PM, CrystalFaerie said:

On a side note, there's sure been a lot of period talk on this thread  :blink: Sorry guys!

Nothing wrong with a little blood :D

Hmm ok let's see I'll do this one in order....

1.       Dislocated Jaw- This was pain like I have never known and it is indescribable. Yes, this was more painful than everything else on the list. You have two very large nerves that run along each side of your jaw and 1 of mine got pinched during dislocation. This happened during a sparring match. I took a spinning back fist straight to the face, AFTER the match was over….I stumbled back and then felt the worst pain in my life and still to this day. Soon after it was so bad I lost consciences. 

2.       Broken clavicle and fractured sternum-  I got this from my first love………Hockey. Good lord that was awful. Out for a year and yeah a solid 2nd place

3.       Broken radius & ulna that punctured the skin- This one hurt like hell. I was a kid on the playground and I thought I could make a solid jump. Nope, I gambled and lost big on that one. Fell about 10 feet, landed on the same arm I broke 2 years earlier. Broke both bones and one of them shot straight through my skin, sticking right out of my arm.

4.        Broken radius & ulna-  Yep this happened twice…2 years apart. This time, in one day I managed to brake both bones in my arm at different 2 different times. I was a kid and my brother and I were playing atop a really steep flight of stairs. I ate it down the stairs, my arm got stuck in-between the banisters while my body was in midair, and going full steam ahead. It snapped my like radius like toothpick and fractured my ulna. As my mom was helping me out to the car, I tripped over the brand new runner, landing on my already mangled up arm, and obliterated my ulna.

5.       Dislocated shoulder- Awww again, my first love…..Hockey

6.    4 broken ribs- Awww again, my first love…..she was a brutal mistress but I love hockey.

7.       Nearly ruptured appendix-  This one was no were near as bad in comparison to the others, but when it almost popped…wow no fun

On 3/7/2017 at 0:36 AM, Jorge said:

With a broken heart the pain is residual and can last you a lifetime

I would imagine so

For me, a broken leg

Well, there's so many. Sprained my middle finger as a teenager and it swelled turned black and blue; hairlined fractured AND tore a ligament in my thumb close to my palm; got bruised ribs and goodness that's the worst of those 3 I suppose.

More lately, I was in an accident and went through hell on earth because my brain slammed against my skull from sudden impact. Never been the same since, but long story. My TBI has affected my life the most. I also minorly fractured a rib during this accident, it's fine now; tore shoulder ligaments and shoulder separation that's not the same, severe whiplash, a couple discs tore in my neck, soft tissue sprain etc. Just a living sensory overload migraine hell. There's more but honestly it's a chapter...

Oh and I've had 2 surgeries for thyroid cancer; (and systemic radiation but it was overall rough not particularly just painful); so swollowing was a b**ch both times, second time I had a drain tube for 5 days and held an icepack to my face. The surgery left me some nerve damage, and I can't wear crew neck shirts because of my first surgical scar.

Infected tooth that needs a root canal can be severe. So yeah, I have some experience..

Childbirth and my daily arthritic pain. The most painful when I get it in my hip as its agonising laying down,standing,walking and getting on and off the loo:( I've been even taking  best CBD gummies to deal with this annoying pain.