Guest JDmantel

The worst physical pain you've experienced?

42 posts in this topic

What was the most pain you've had to cope with and how was it inflicted? I cracked my head when I was a kid and left an inch long scar there and basically it was like showering in blood the amount that poured over me! Weirdly that wasn't agony, initially I thought i'd just been slapped. Then everything went red...! Think it was on a kitchen counter or something.

The worst was self inflicted. At Uni two mates thought it would be a good idea to prank me after two nights out by waking me up early, I lost it, wrenched my door open to tell them to piss off, ripped off my toenail and smashed the door into the bone higher up the toe. Couldn't walk normally for a fortnight, that was my worst pain, purely self inflicted because I was sleep deprived and i'm not someone who can cope without sleep! Toe bled for age and was black and blue for a while!

Anyone had some really bad pain to have to cope with?

1 person likes this

I used to get period cramps that were so agonizing I'd lie in bed all day trying not to scream. Turns out, the cramps were being aggravated by a (benign) uterine tumor. So, I got a D&C to fix that issue...and the aftermath of that surgery was the most horrible pain I've ever felt in my life. Even with morphine (and later, Vicodin) it was like my worst period cramps x100. Luckily it only lasted a couple of days, and my cramps are now completely manageable with just an ordinary dose of ibuprofen.

2 people like this

I don't know whether pressing 'like' on your comment Steadfast was appropriate, it was more liking the fact you told us! That sounds hellish... the fact it was horrible even with morphine, doesn't bear thinking about how horrible it would have been without!

2 people like this

I broke a couple of ribs in a horse-riding accident - I was flung off and crashed into a fencepost. That was really painful as even breathing made the bones move about.  When I sneezed it felt like I was being stabbed!

I used to get period cramps that were so agonizing I'd lie in bed all day trying not to scream. Turns out, the cramps were being aggravated by a (benign) uterine tumor. So, I got a D&C to fix that issue...and the aftermath of that surgery was the most horrible pain I've ever felt in my life. Even with morphine (and later, Vicodin) it was like my worst period cramps x100. Luckily it only lasted a couple of days, and my cramps are now completely manageable with just an ordinary dose of ibuprofen.

I can relate, to an extent. The worst physical pain I ever felt was from period cramps. I've had several particularly bad ones. The worst of all was when I was walking home from school one day, and just collapsed in the street. I couldn't walk anymore, I was dizzy and out of breath (all I could say was "ow ow ow") and someone had to call an ambulance. That was the most extreme case, but it used to happen quite regularly that I wouldn't be able to stand up without feeling sick, and the cramps felt like I was dying. Seriously. I'm so glad it's over.

2 people like this

I've cracked both temples, and have scars to show it, but the worst pain I have ever experienced was when I had some problems with my ovaries. Three times, now, I think. Recently, the doctor I have now told me that that is PCOS. My ovaries do not produce eggs as they should. They sometimes hold them in for a few months at a time, and on the months that they spit them out they do too many. Which causes me to have double over, I feel like dieing would be better, kind of pain. It doesn't make for great periods, either, because my cramps hinder my regular living. Anyway, considering I was born with a herniated ovary, and the doctor then wasn't sure I'd ever be able to have kids, so maybe I'm just screwy.

Luckily, I've never had a broken bone. :) My 'episodes' of jerking, twitching, and such, don't even hurt much when they do... and I'm not allowed to drive because of those. lol

2 people like this

What was the most pain you've had to cope with and how was it inflicted? I cracked my head when I was a kid and left an inch long scar there and basically it was like showering in blood the amount that poured over me! Weirdly that wasn't agony, initially I thought i'd just been slapped. Then everything went red...! Think it was on a kitchen counter or something.

The worst was self inflicted. At Uni two mates thought it would be a good idea to prank me after two nights out by waking me up early, I lost it, wrenched my door open to tell them to piss off, ripped off my toenail and smashed the door into the bone higher up the toe. Couldn't walk normally for a fortnight, that was my worst pain, purely self inflicted because I was sleep deprived and i'm not someone who can cope without sleep! Toe bled for age and was black and blue for a while!

Anyone had some really bad pain to have to cope with?

Ahg toenails! Even fingernails... I can't even imagine LMAO. I hate just bending my nail backwards, but luckily the pain is quick LOL!

I broke a couple of ribs in a horse-riding accident - I was flung off and crashed into a fencepost. That was really painful as even breathing made the bones move about.  When I sneezed it felt like I was being stabbed!

Man that's terrible ): have you been on a horse ever since?

As for the period cramps, those have plagued me forever. Luckily I've found black strap molasses as a solution but you have to take it a week before so tracking your period helps. They're awful. Steadfast, when did you decide to get checked out for the tumor? I'm worried that's what's causing mine, but my gyno was just like 'here have mirena' and didn't suspect a tumor or cyst. Mirena totally took everything away but I hated the side effects so I'm not using anything now.

Crystal, they're gone now?

My worst pain was a kidney stone (recent LOL). I never thought I would get one because no one else in my family except my Grandpa one time had one... I threw up multiple times from my body's reaction to the pain... nauseated the whole time, felt like someone was repeatedly stabbing me and I'm surprised I didn't faint but I cried and I never cry unless it's the worst of the worst with period cramps. That stupid little stone was so jagged when it came out but it was small. STUPID STONE. Hospital pain killer didn't work, I threw up and then they gave me morphine which didn't totally kill the pain, but made it so if I didn’t move it was bearable. Then got another dose and then the stone got stuck again so I didn’t have to deal with the pain until I got home LOL the Percocet did NOT help that pain. Morphine sucks, but it did help. Percocet sucks too. I hate being drugged up. So hopefully now I’ll change my diet and never get one again :D.

The good news is for the ladies who have to tolerate terrible cramping, if you ever have a child, it will probably be easier to deliver. Also if you have a kidney stone, which is worse than childbirth at its worst.

2 people like this

Photo girl, does that mean you have a higher chance of conceiving twins, triplets, quadruplets, quintuplets, and so on?

1 person likes this

As for the period cramps, those have plagued me forever. Luckily I've found black strap molasses as a solution but you have to take it a week before so tracking your period helps. They're awful. Steadfast, when did you decide to get checked out for the tumor? I'm worried that's what's causing mine, but my gyno was just like 'here have mirena' and didn't suspect a tumor or cyst. Mirena totally took everything away but I hated the side effects so I'm not using anything now.

Crystal, they're gone now?

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes. Black strap molasses is what made the pain go away permanently (changing my diet helped, but only for a few months). I swear that stuff is the nectar of the Gods. It helped me go from "help I think I'm dying" to "hey I'm on my period, didn't see that coming". I can't recommend it enough.

1 person likes this

On a side note, there's sure been a lot of period talk on this thread  :blink: Sorry guys!

You should've expected it though, asking girls what the worst pain they've experienced was  :lol:

4 people like this

Wow, shoutout to all the women here who named menstrual troubles as their worst pain ever! Anyone who doubts the strength of women should read through this thread and see what so many of us have to deal with every month.  :lol:

Steadfast, when did you decide to get checked out for the tumor? I'm worried that's what's causing mine, but my gyno was just like 'here have mirena' and didn't suspect a tumor or cyst. Mirena totally took everything away but I hated the side effects so I'm not using anything now.

I experienced a similar thing when I first went to the doctor for my cramps: they basically said, "Here, go on the birth control pill" without checking me out for anything more serious. And while it did help, I, like you, got some horrible side effects from it. Ironically, those side effects were what prompted me to get an actual physical exam for the first time. That's how they found the tumor. I first started getting horrible cramps when I was 15, and the tumor wasn't caught until I was 20.  :( Now I'm a huge advocate for girls/women making sure to get checked out for anything more serious before they agree to go on birth control for period cramps. To be fair, sometimes birth control is the appropriate treatment, like with PCOS or endometriosis. But be sure you're actually diagnosed with something that warrants it before starting hormonal treatment! In my case hormones just masked the symptoms and I suffered way longer than I had to. A lot of women and their doctors assume that if the woman in question is a virgin, nothing too bad could be wrong with them. Nothing could be further from the truth....

Wow, that turned into a bit of a rant. :P It's just something I have a lot of feelings about.... 

haha @CrystalFaerie  I really thought i'd be getting a load of broken bone stories. And I definitely thought the Americans would all have their own unique 'I was shot' story... hahaha :P

I really had no idea period pain could be so bad. Still you got multi tasking so.. that kind of balances it out... :P

1 person likes this

And I definitely thought the Americans would all have their own unique 'I was shot' story... hahaha :P

Where I'm from we learn how to handle our guns properly.  ;)

Animated-Flag-Texas.gif

5 people like this

Its between getting hit in the head with a discus in highschool (nine staples), a stitch being dug out of my back with no pain relievers, smashing my thumb in the vault door at work, or breaking my arm while rollerblading. Sorry, I've never had really bad cramps.

It physically hurts me to watch some people use the self check-out...

I've never been injured very badly, nor do I get bad period cramps (though I have had some random and fairly painful uterine spasms!)

I get pretty bad migraines from exposure to certain perfumes/scents. There isn't really a way of predicting exactly when and where it will happen, but if I'm not diligent, it happens frequently. One of the worst ones I ever had made me so sick that I was out for 2 days straight, and exhausted for a week or so afterward. It hurt so much I couldn't eat or bathe myself. I cried from the pain. Which made it worse. As far as migraines go, I know that I don't have it bad, and there others who have them way worse and for way longer. But for now I think that's the worst pain I've felt.

3 people like this

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes. Black strap molasses is what made the pain go away permanently (changing my diet helped, but only for a few months). I swear that stuff is the nectar of the Gods. It helped me go from "help I think I'm dying" to "hey I'm on my period, didn't see that coming". I can't recommend it enough.

Yay another BSM user!!!!!! I'm glad it's making a name for itself because it is exactly that, at least the nectar that us volcanic period women need LOL! And horses... horses like it for some reason. I can't believe I lived so many years and just last year I found out about it -_____-. I wasn't sure at first but my goodness it really works.

I experienced a similar thing when I first went to the doctor for my cramps: they basically said, "Here, go on the birth control pill" without checking me out for anything more serious. And while it did help, I, like you, got some horrible side effects from it. Ironically, those side effects were what prompted me to get an actual physical exam for the first time. That's how they found the tumor. I first started getting horrible cramps when I was 15, and the tumor wasn't caught until I was 20.  :( Now I'm a huge advocate for girls/women making sure to get checked out for anything more serious before they agree to go on birth control for period cramps. To be fair, sometimes birth control is the appropriate treatment, like with PCOS or endometriosis. But be sure you're actually diagnosed with something that warrants it before starting hormonal treatment! In my case hormones just masked the symptoms and I suffered way longer than I had to. A lot of women and their doctors assume that if the woman in question is a virgin, nothing too bad could be wrong with them. Nothing could be further from the truth....

Wow, that turned into a bit of a rant. :P It's just something I have a lot of feelings about.... 

What side effects did you get from the pill? I'm curious. I was only an emotional wreck but nothing physical. Sometimes I wish doctors put more effort into their patients. I know too many who just hand out drugs and tell you to get on your way. When for you it could have been caught much earlier. Thank goodness it was benign!

It physically hurts me to watch some people use the self check-out...

I've never been injured very badly, nor do I get bad period cramps (though I have had some random and fairly painful uterine spasms!)

I get pretty bad migraines from exposure to certain perfumes/scents. There isn't really a way of predicting exactly when and where it will happen, but if I'm not diligent, it happens frequently. One of the worst ones I ever had made me so sick that I was out for 2 days straight, and exhausted for a week or so afterward. It hurt so much I couldn't eat or bathe myself. I cried from the pain. Which made it worse. As far as migraines go, I know that I don't have it bad, and there others who have them way worse and for way longer. But for now I think that's the worst pain I've felt.

LOL self checkout!!!!

Bethreny I feel you to an extent. I have headaches that turn into tension headaches that won't go away no matter what I take. They ruin your day and you cannot concentrate and you get nauseous. I think mine are allergy triggered and also seasonal. There is a woman at my work whose family gets shots for migraines but she stopped after she had kids because it knocked her out for a day when they gave her the shots. They're just awful. I'm sorry you had to be sick for two days. They. Just. Suck.

2 people like this

First worst pain was getting a tooth pulled. A dentist (who ended up being sued for malpractice) performed a shotty root canal on me, and filled it incorrectly. Years later, everything died, became horrible infected, and split my tooth down to the root. Novacaine did very little to numb the pain while it was being pulled.

Second worst is when I tore a muscle in my back. I couldn't even breath without feeling it, worst 6 months of my life. I still wake up and feel it.

3 people like this

What side effects did you get from the pill? I'm curious. I was only an emotional wreck but nothing physical.

Wellllll since we're being TMI anyway...a yeast infection. That lasted for months:mellow:

Worst pain I ever felt? Easy, torn Achilles tendon. Old football injury from high school the summer of my junior year. Second worst? Torn rotator cuff. Work injury from a few years ago. As a result of the achilles injury i'll probably walk with a cane around 50, and i'll also need surgery to reconstruct my rotator cuff sometime within the next 10 years.

Anyone else ever notice that when someone posts on this thread about terrible pain they've experienced, it results in a bunch of people "Liking This?"  Perhaps all the "Like This" buttons might be changed to "I Don't Like This" just for this thread.  It brings out my dark humor when I interpret the "Likes This" notes as sadist.

I thought since all of you have been in pain, you could use the chuckle; heh...

=)

4 people like this

Worst pain I've ever felt ?

Wisdom teeth surgery. had to have two of them cut out, then get infected.I had bruises on my jaw for atleast two weeks,the doctor even flinched when he saw them.

Wow. Had no idea how bad some of the ladies problems are. Worst pain I have ever had to deal with was sinus infections.

1 person likes this

My worst pain was probably when I had a dental abscess. The pain was so bad I thought of pulling out the tooth (which would have led to even worse problems). I couldn't think about anything else but the pain. It was throbbing throughout my head. My family had to drive me to the hospital in the middle of the night. They phoned my dentist while he was at home (and probably sleeping) and he gave them a telephonic prescription for pain medicine and antibiotics. Just a few hours after taking the antibiotics I could feel how the pain was melting away. Eventually he did a root canal on the tooth when the pain resurfaced months later. 

Almost equal to that was when my wisdom teeth were extracted. The two ones at the top were easy and were pulled out. The two in my lower jaw however was another story. They were rooted quite deep and the dentist had to cut down deep into the nerve. I remember waking up after surgery with the feeling that an 18 wheeler drove over my head. When I got home I started crying after realising that not even strong pain medication had any effect in relieving the pain. It bled for more than 24 hours. Quite a lot. 

And then there was another time I had to go to the hospital in the middle of the night where I experienced the 3rd worst pain. I was installing a new wooden door in my flat. It didn't have a slot for the placement of a lock so I had to make one. After drilling and chiseling away I went up to the slot and without safety glasses blew the dust and splinters out. Yes I know, that was stupid. I blew it straight into my eyes. After rinsing out my eyes several times, I couldn't get one specific splinter out of my right eye. Eye drops didn't help either. After lying with my eyes closed for a few hours the pain was still there. So, my family took me to the hospital in the middle of the night. The splinter was only a little bit painful. I weren't quite prepared for the procedures they took to remove a splinter. They ended up pulling my eyelid up all the way and taking cotton swabs and dragging it over my bare eyeball multiple times. In every single corner. The next day they found my retina was damaged by the splinters. Fortunately it was only temporary as it can heal itself. But the coolest part was I wore an eyepatch like a pirate. Though it did make driving difficult due to lack of depth perception. 

3 people like this

God I forgot about teeth! I had wisdom teeth that moved and infected my gums and the dentist told me to brush. So brush I did, it would make me cry brushing my gums but then I switched dentists and he said I had to leave the area alone! So i'd basically brushed for no reason... gums that were all cut and shredded! Oh and this was at Christmas..... roast turkey, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, stuffing... couldn't have any of it, just would be in agony the moment anything touched my gums. The only Christmas I've ever lost weight! And I had a teeth kicked out playing football (soccer) My teeth are in really good condition (never had a filling) but yet I've had plenty of bad luck there!

Oh and my brace snapped and the hard wire went through my one side of my gum, came out the other and went into my cheek. Oh and I had that OVERNIGHT! Just a bit of metal stuck through my gum. I can't believe I forgot that!! So painful and for so long. 

Nobody mention stereotypes relating to British teeth/dentistry! :lol:

I had my tonsils out the week of Thanksgiving when I was 10 . Also had sinus surgery the week before Thanksgiving when i was 14. Neither hurt near as bad as wisdom teeth did.