PG1

Favorite thing about being here...

17 posts in this topic

OK. We've had a lot of different topics lately. Rarely does EVERYONE agree, and I think that (sometimes) there have been some hard feelings. I know that they occur with me, until I stop and make myself remember that everyone is allowed to feel differently... and that I'm not always in the right, and neither is anyone else. Even if we might want to be. We aren't all going to agree, at least on most things. We all have varying views, and that's ok. Actually, it's a good thing. If we all thought the same way, I think that life would be quite boring. I'll admit that I don't really say a whole lot, because it usually takes me a while to formulate my words to articulate my thoughts.

On top of all of that, I'm planning a 'social media hiatus' for myself...especially facebook. I just can't take the hatred and belittling that seems to have taken over. I know it's always existed, but I haven't seen it on my facebook this much before this last year.... and I'm tired of it and it's taking it's toll. If I can't get away from the negativity for a while, I'm not going to be good to anyone.

That being said. I thought it might be nice if we took the time to point out what our FAVORITE things are about this place. I'm just hoping that they are all good, and NICE. :)

So, what is one of your favorite things about here.

I'll start...

My favorite thing about this site is the vast difference of opinion. No matter how many times I might disagree with people, I agree with people just about the same amount... and the best part is that most of those are agreeing and disagreeing with the SAME people. There are only a few people here that I agree almost... ALMOST... completely with. I love that I get to see such a cornucopia of opinions, because it makes me really think. I love that. The fact that someone will make me say to myself 'Huh, I never thought of it that way!'... I really do enjoy that.

7 people like this

When I first came to this site, I felt very alone in my decision to wait. My own family doesn't even try to see this from my perspective. But I love that since I joined here, I know I'm not alone and it has made me more confident in expressing my beliefs about waiting till marriage without feeling like an outcast. The people on this site make me feel like I'm included in something wonderful, and I'm incredibly grateful for the friends I've made. I know this is a place where I can post opinions on so many different topics as well as ask for and give advice. I find that to be very valuable. 

7 people like this

My favorite thing about this site is the vast difference of opinion. No matter how many times I might disagree with people, I agree with people just about the same amount... and the best part is that most of those are agreeing and disagreeing with the SAME people. There are only a few people here that I agree almost... ALMOST... completely with. I love that I get to see such a cornucopia of opinions, because it makes me really think. I love that. The fact that someone will make me say to myself 'Huh, I never thought of it that way!'... I really do enjoy that.

My feelings exactly.  :)

I like the diversity of people on here, it makes me not feel so different and alone on my journey. I like being able to come on here and ask questions to see what kind of different answers I'm going to get.

I love how even though we're all different, there's a place for all of us here to find support and to know we're in this together. I still remember the day I created my account. I was nervous and wasn't even sure I was going to stick to my decision, but as soon as I logged into the chat, I knew I was going to like it here. I felt welcomed. Even better, I felt personally welcomed. When I've joined other forums, especially large ones, I've felt like the welcome messages are just done as a tradition and nobody puts much thought into what they're saying, nor the person behind the screen. Here, I felt like I was walking into a small and friendly room of friends. Mike put it very well:

WTM.org is the warmest, safest place on the web for those who wait. I like to think of WTM.org as a winter cabin with a crackling fire, hot food, and great company for those who wait...and it’s surrounded on all sides by a harsh blizzard (everyday life). When people arrive here (usually from Google) it’s often like they’re coming in from the cold.

That's exactly how I felt when I joined, and how I still feel. I always feel safe coming here for tips, advice, sharing stories or just having a fun chat. Even though I don't agree with everyone's opinions, I've never felt unwelcome. Somehow, I fit in. We all do. And that's what I love most.

5 people like this

I haven't been here for too long, but I love how this site gathers a wide variety of people who are looking to find support and support eachother in their decision. No matter if you're from the US, Spain , New Zealand, South Africa.... or if you´re Christian, buddhist, atheist... 18 years old or 45... This a community were you can feel that you belong and were  many different people of different backgrounds can get together learn from each other, discuss, teach, share, feel valued and a part of something special.

This group has helped me reinforcing my decision and I thank you for that.

9 people like this

Even though we all come from different backgrounds and walks of life with different perspectives, I like the fact that we all share the common belief in waiting, and can hold each other up through the struggles that come with it. Lawd knows that being a waiter in this day and age is a challenge lol.

5 people like this

I like how I can completely disagree with people on one topic, but then be on the same page as them when it comes to another.

Also some of the posts and random thoughts are very entertaining, and i love when memes or respectfully sarcastic comments are posted too!

Edit: I should add that I also like it when people agree with me, makes me feel validated. :P

3 people like this

My two favorite things about this site:

It's cathartic to just get out what I'm thinking and feeling or even what I'm confused about.  Just to let it out.

The support. Even when I am broken, I am comforted by those that care, especially the gals on here. :rolleyes: And that is something I've been in a deficit for in my reality outside of the internet.

5 people like this

The hope it gives you that there are others struggling but not 'settling', that there are still girls who are romantic and believe in the idea of a 'soulmate'. That they want a fellow waiter! I also like interacting with people that I normally never would. People that i thought i'd have nothing in common with but have made me laugh etc But mainly the fact we're all in the same boat and there to encourage and advise one another.

3 people like this

First of all, thx for the nice topic, earlier ive read some of your blog talking about sharing your thoughts and how you may decide to keep your opinion for yourself as many would desagree, well thats life we all are diffrent persons from diffrent cultures, raised differently and deal with things differently, but the good point that whatever you say and whatever the reaction of others is that will never change the person that you are, so  never mind what other would say, keep doing whats right coz thats all whats matter   :).

For your question, its few days am here and whats touched me the most how warm welcoming people are, believe me its very rare to find that in other sites where you can feel yourself a stranger , but here its kinda being home where everyone waiting to see you back , asking abt you , even share personal things with you , so its kinda a wonderful thing ..   

I like logging on and seeing familiar screen names. Whether it's people I've always seen eye to eye on things, or people I've bitterly argued with, I like logging on, it's like seeing another family.

6 people like this

I like logging on and seeing familiar screen names. Whether it's people I've always seen eye to eye on things, or people I've bitterly argued with, I like logging on, it's like seeing another family.

Aww... The feels...

tumblr_inline_mgp3egf2ol1ro2d43.gif

3 people like this

When people like my posts, it makes me feel special.  :)

And some other things too.

8 people like this

I like that there are people here I would consider my friends and I wish we could all hang out in real life.

It's commendable that everyone on here is dedicated to waiting and inspiring to see so many people understand why it's important.

I just wish the site grows and has even more waiters on here!

3 people like this

Before I found this place, I felt like I was fighting an inherently losing battle. I even had meltdowns just thinking about the impossible position I had put myself in as an adult waiter. I would think, "This is impossible. This is ridiculous. How does anyone do this? I'm going to be alone forever. It's not them, it's me. I have chosen loneliness by choosing to wait." Not that I regretted my decision--I was just convinced that it amounted to taking a lifelong vow of celibacy. End of story, what else can I get into while I'm waiting to die?

Now I feel completely different. Now that I know there are other people, and diverse people no less, I find I am not even as anxious to find a relationship as I used to be. It's as if realizing it was possible took the edge off. I almost feel as if I could wait forever now. My view on my own life has changed.

7 people like this

Before I found this place, I felt like I was fighting an inherently losing battle. I even had meltdowns just thinking about the impossible position I had put myself in as an adult waiter. I would think, "This is impossible. This is ridiculous. How does anyone do this? I'm going to be alone forever. It's not them, it's me. I have chosen loneliness by choosing to wait." Not that I regretted my decision--I was just convinced that it amounted to taking a lifelong vow of celibacy. End of story, what else can I get into while I'm waiting to die?

Now I feel completely different. Now that I know there are other people, and diverse people no less, I find I am not even as anxious to find a relationship as I used to be. It's as if realizing it was possible took the edge off. I almost feel as if I could wait forever now. My view on my own life has changed.

This is pretty much how I would have said my feelings when I was first told about this site, by another member (who I won't mention, because I don't know if they would want me to), and then I was 'Wow!'.

4 people like this