Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steadfast Madcap

Interesting Results re:Waiting in Harvard's Senior Survey

16 posts in this topic

Harvard's school newspaper conducts a survey of its graduating class every year, and the results re:dating for the class of 2015 were very interesting to me.

Apparently 58% of Harvard students entered the college as virgins. 21% first had sex during their freshman year -- meaning they waited till at least 18 or 19, higher than the national average -- and a full 24% never had sex during their entire time in college. The median number of romantic relationships was 1.

Maybe there's some hope that my generation will escape "hook-up culture" afterall.  ^_^

15 people like this

I read a survery once that said one third of college seniors were still virgins. It sounded a bit high too me and probably was. 24% still sounds a bit high, but there is no reason to believe it is wrong. I suppose it's possible that Harvard would have more virgins than party schools with less serious students, but it still is nice to see. Maybe I won't need to date 18 year olds in order to marry a virgin.

1 person likes this

I don't know, but I have an opinion here.  The Harvard students are generally smart, and smart people are notorious for talking themselves out of things that lead to sex.  The general idea here is that smart people play the "What If[?]" game far more often than dumb people.  Dumb people simply don't ask themselves "What If[?]" often enough to keep from having many kids.  They don't forsee far enough how expensive kids can get, how their priorities might change, and all the responsibilty that they will have to own up to.

Smart people, on the other hand, forsee this stuff further out into the future and often have lofty goals that are proportional to their brainpower.  Asking themselves "What If[?]" all the time leads to overwhelming thoughts of consequences that may or may not be real, and often interfere with their goals.  Smart people, therefore, tend to delay reproduction far longer than is really necessary.

There is a lesson here.  If you want to find a pure celibate, you are more likely to find them in the intellectual community.  Hell, even the "nerd can't get a boyfriend/girlfriend" phenomenon helps too.  There is also a fair warning: if we don't take advantage of this; over time, the genepool will become overwhelmed by people who fail to ask "What If[?]" when it really counts.  Then humanity will get dumber and dumber.  Dating isn't what it used to be only a few decades ago, and has become incredibly shallow and selfish.  So, the "dumbing down" of humanity might already be happening.  Smart people need to stop worrying, and find other smart people to have kids with.  The world is counting on them.  Turns out, they are the best lovers too, because they bring the most imagination to the bedroom (or other places too, see what a little imagination can do?).

The bottom line is: smart people are awesome!  Find a smart person to love TODAY!

XD

*** Paid for by the GodsPhysicist for President Campaign ***

4 people like this

I don't know, but I have an opinion here. The Harvard students are generally smart, and smart people are notorious for talking themselves out of things that lead to sex. The general idea here is that smart people play the "What If[?]" game far more often than dumb people. Dumb people simply don't ask themselves "What If[?]" often enough to keep from having many kids. They don't forsee far enough how expensive kids can get, how their priorities might change, and all the responsibilty that they will have to own up to.

Smart people, on the other hand, forsee this stuff further out into the future and often have lofty goals that are proportional to their brainpower. Asking themselves "What If[?]" all the time leads to overwhelming thoughts of consequences that may or may not be real, and often interfere with their goals. Smart people, therefore, tend to delay reproduction far longer than is really necessary.

There is a lesson here. If you want to find a pure celibate, you are more likely to find them in the intellectual community. Hell, even the "nerd can't get a boyfriend/girlfriend" phenomenon helps too. There is also a fair warning: if we don't take advantage of this; over time, the genepool will become overwhelmed by people who fail to ask "What If[?]" when it really counts. Then humanity will get dumber and dumber. Dating isn't what it used to be only a few decades ago, and has become incredibly shallow and selfish. So, the "dumbing down" of humanity might already be happening. Smart people need to stop worrying, and find other smart people to have kids with. The world is counting on them. Turns out, they are the best lovers too, because they bring the most imagination to the bedroom (or other places too, see what a little imagination can do?).

The bottom line is: smart people are awesome! Find a smart person to love TODAY!

XD

So, the 76% are dumb and the rest are the real nerds.

I don't know, but I have an opinion here.  The Harvard students are generally smart, and smart people are notorious for talking themselves out of things that lead to sex.  The general idea here is that smart people play the "What If[?]" game far more often than dumb people.  Dumb people simply don't ask themselves "What If[?]" often enough to keep from having many kids. 

Then humanity will get dumber and dumber.  Dating isn't what it used to be only a few decades ago, and has become incredibly shallow and selfish.  So, the "dumbing down" of humanity might already be happening.

Your post made me think of this clip.  :D

It is true that higher education, despite all our stereotypes of wild college parties, tends to correlate with delaying sex (as well as delaying marriage and childbearing). But I wouldn't worry too much. Dumb people tend to find ways to take themselves out of the gene pool too....  :superwaiter:

2 people like this

It is true that higher education, despite all our stereotypes of wild college parties, tends to correlate with delaying sex (as well as delaying marriage and childbearing). But I wouldn't worry too much. Dumb people tend to find ways to take themselves out of the gene pool too....  :superwaiter:

Well; I actually have another opinion on how the gene pool reacts to dumb people.  These days, at least in the United States for some reason, there are so many laws protecting stupid people from themselves.  People actually need in writing now that certain obvious things are unsafe in the workplace, they need financial help with no credit checks or simply have too many options with bad or no credit, easier-than-ever ways to litigate on matters that should be dismissed as user error or folly, and many other subsidies that seem to reward stupid behavior.

I'm deeply concerned that U.S. has had this problem for long enough that now stupid people are actually in charge of way too many managerial matters.  I think this only makes the world a slower and more expensive place to live.  Keeping stupid people in charge and having more babies is costing the U.S. a lot of money and potential development.  Science, for one, is in big trouble because of this.  There are national labs that actually have managers that fire smarter people just starting out because managers choose their own job security over someone that can actually do a better job than they can.  What a cowardly display of fearful incompetence.  That means the U.S. tends to pay people more to get rid of smarter people that are already getting paid less.  Doesn't that piss you off?  It surely makes me react.  I hope we smart folks can find a way to put a stop to it soon, because no matter how smart a few people are, population is the single most dominant factor in any social unheaval by a very wide margin.

Also, I stopped using the adjective "dumb" because I don't want to be stupid either.  Haha.  Apparantly, being "dumb" means one cannot speak, not "numb" (in the brain).

I am sort-of cracking up now, because I took the time to write this in the morning first thing.  I must really have a heart for this sort of thing.  But, thanks for reading my material and responding.  I hope I can continue to entertain you fine folks well into the future with this kind of commentary...

So, the 76% are dumb and the rest are the real nerds.

You know, I think that it would be worth studying further whether these 76% remained in Harvard because they were rich, not smart.  Finances have a way of cheating the tipping points of culture to sometimes undesirable outcomes (which I admit is interpretive, not certain).  I think folks should continue these studies to look at correlations with other details.  We have to be careful though, because correlation does not necessarily imply causality (e.g. blonde hair does not CAUSE blue eyes, but they are CORRELATED).

Then again, maybe they are smarter than I am because they are still smart and found ways to have sex at the same time.  Maybe I need more education on how to "have my cake and eat it too."

I'm not fond of using words such as "dumb", "stupid", and "smart" when it comes to defining large groups of people.  People are products of their environment and are influenced by the level of dysfunction/function in their upbringings, etc.  Thus, a person who may have found themselves as a pregnant teenager (due to their sociological environment that increased their chances of teen pregnancy) may find the right resources, knowledge, and mentorship to stop having babies, go to college and receive a phD.  Perhaps people make dumb choices, but it doesn't make them dumb.  Also, many people are virgins well into their adulthood also because of how they were raised, so does this give them a birthright of being "smart"?  I think smart is something that should be earned, not given.  I know I would have had a better chance in college if my parents prepared me for it. Fortunately, we live and learn, and I got myself in college (on my own) and will now graduate with honors.

I realize I am nitpicking with finding offense in "dumb" and "smart", so forgive me.  I don't use the words "dumb" and "stupid" as a rule in my own vocabulary so that is a difference of personal philosophy.  And I understand what was intended and that intent was reasonable. 

Back to the Harvard findings, as a college student, I believe these statistics to be founded, because (just from judgement) I believe there are a lot of virgins on my campus.  I say this because they are single people that stay focused on friendships and school work.  They don't have the flirting skills and don't give into the social distractions that might lead to premarital sex.  I think there are a lot more adult virgins than people know.  It is too bad that teenagers are so inundated by sex-messages everywhere that losing their virginity is normalized.  The only way a person like that stays a virgin is to clearly stand against it, but they may be too young to even know what they stand for at that point.

2 people like this

They don't have the flirting skills and don't give into the social distractions that might lead to premarital sex.

Hah!  In my own personal life, I can relate because I learned how to make friends later than many.  I decided that self-actualization was more important than intimacy.  So, I learned how to focus on what I am good at before I cared about relationships.  Usually that happens in a different order for most.

Perhaps I cheated in order to WTM, heh...

4 people like this

Harvard's school newspaper conducts a survey of its graduating class every year, and the results re:dating for the class of 2015 were very interesting to me.

Apparently 58% of Harvard students entered the college as virgins. 21% first had sex during their freshman year -- meaning they waited till at least 18 or 19, higher than the national average -- and a full 24% never had sex during their entire time in college. The median number of romantic relationships was 1.

Maybe there's some hope that my generation will escape "hook-up culture" afterall.  ^_^

My first thought was: "It's Harvard. A lot of smart kids spending all their time studying to compete with one another probably means less sex all around"! LOL. 

I'd be curious what a study like this would look like at say Brigham Young or Arizona State?  I'd also like to know the profile of the students with numbers for males vs. females.  I recently used Slate's "Sex History Calculator" see where I stack up against my peers (of course, I went through many of the age groups and also compared gender) and found all the numbers facinating!

I recently used Slate's "Sex History Calculator" see where I stack up against my peers (of course, I went through many of the age groups and also compared gender) and found all the numbers facinating!

I just used that. "5 percent of your peers have also had no sexual partners" 

Only 5% now (sigh)

1 person likes this

I just used that. "5 percent of your peers have also had no sexual partners" 

Only 5% now (sigh)

True, it does look depressing from that point, but if you look at how many women in my age range (25-29) have had only one partner, it's 20%. I think that's pretty good, considering! Not all women or going to still be waiting for marriage, but it's likely that a lot of those people are already married

1 person likes this

True, it does look depressing from that point, but if you look at how many women in my age range (25-29) have had only one partner, it's 20%. I think that's pretty good, considering! Not all women or going to still be waiting for marriage, but it's likely that a lot of those people are already married

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. lol 

Still I'd like to see some other women who lasted as long as me  so I could feel like it's possible and I'm not just an outlier 

2 people like this

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. lol

Still I'd like to see some other women who lasted as long as me so I could feel like it's possible and I'm not just an outlier

Oh yeah, I understand. I made it to 28, pretty much the last one of my female friends

1 person likes this

The bottom line is: smart people are awesome!  Find a smart person to love TODAY!

XD

Too funny ! :P:D:rolleyes:

So, thank you for your presentation and sponsorisation for" PresidentCampaign"

I can relate to the rest of your message...