Sobriquet

Being a whore is a goal now?

92 posts in this topic

I'm sure that most of us have had awesome and amazing slut friends (male or female) that we saw more than just their sluttyness. Realizing that they're a slut doesn't make you our them an inherently bad person.

There is a huge difference between jokingly insulting your friend and seriously throwing a derogatory term at someone (whether it's a friend, a total stranger, or someone you actively dislike). If my good friend does something dumb and I jokingly call them an idiot, then that is OK because we both know I don't really mean it. But if I seriously call someone an idiot, I can't say that I wasn't doing a rude thing because it's true that they are of low intellectual ability, or because I see other redeeming things about them despite their low IQ. Would anyone seriously argue to the contrary?

2 people like this

She's an adult. And using pose to pose instead of straight-ahead isn't the definition of the word idiot. Go on Google for in "slut definition" and you'll see that she (wants to) fit(s) that definition to the tee.

From Wikipedia:

"Slut is a term applied to an individual who is considered to have loose sexual morals or who is sexually promiscuous. It is generally pejorative, and is most often used as an insult, sexual slur or offensive term of disparagement (slut shaming) against girls or women. It originally meant "a dirty, slovenly woman." [...] These definitions identify a slut as a person of low character."

2 people like this

Did they choose to be of low IQ or is it something they can't control? The answer to this question leads to the answer to your question.

I said Google not Wikipedia which can be changed by anyone

Wikipedia's accuracy is on par with Encyclopedia Britannica's...but OK, if it makes you happy:

"slut

noun
derogatory
  1. a woman who has many casual sexual partners.

2. a woman with low standards of cleanliness."

That is simply a less word-y version of what I posted from Wikipedia. Do you really object to anything put forth by either this definition or the one from the Wiki article?

Did they choose to be of low IQ or is it something they can't control? The answer to this question leads to the answer to your question.

So you seriously think it's OK to go around wantonly insulting people who are harming no one simply because they make choices different from your choices?

3 people like this

Hey um um...so I was wondering..... uhhhh errrr.... would this be considered a controversial topic...... or no? :blush:

OK, I've been watching this thread, and I'm kind of surprised. For a group of people who (most of us, anyway) feel lucky to have found a site like this. Where we come to feel 'normal' and 'accepted', because the rest of the world makes us feel WEIRD. There is a lot of slamming going on here. I have agreed with a few statements, but I'd like to point out a few things.

1. We only have ONE side of a story. To make even a SEMI-accurate evaluation of a situation, OR A PERSON, you must have more than just one side.

2. Her words, if told to us accurately (which we cannot be sure of, because the story has been told our of anger and pain), do not indicate any concrete thoughts. What I means is, is that she may want to feel free to actually be around guys in college without feeling like she has to question her actions because she has a boyfriend. She also could mean exactly what you all seem to think... that she wants to sleep around. If the latter is the case, then at least give her credit for not wanting to cheat on a boyfriend.

3. Please keep in mind that, even in religious setting (sad, but true), WE AS WAITERS are in the minority in this world. The world, in general, does not view a person who has mulitips sexual partners in a negative light. Sure, maybe I agree that people should sleep around less, but us bullying them (especially behind their back) is NOT making the world a better place.

4. Calling anyone by any derogatory name, is never ok. You don't have to be a Christian to be a decent person, and part of being a decent person is to not judge people harshly simply because you don't agree with them or their actions.

5. From my understanding of the story told, they weren't even in a serious relationship. They were, maybe, dating... or even just hanging out. He didn't find out how she felt about going away to college until he approached the idea of going steady. This can be taken as a life lesson, and a learning experience.

6. You are all entitled to your views, your opinions, whethers (including myself) agree. Just please remember, that your views, and opinions, are just that. Some people may agree with you, and some may not, but it's always a good idea to at least CONSIDER what others are saying.

7. Consequences are things that stem from the result of an action...and, maybe, that means people will speak badly of you. However, that particular consequence says more of the person speaking ill of another, than it actually says about the person being spoken about.

No matter what you think of another person, try finding a place in your heart and mind for compassion. Compassion is what sets the good at heart apart. Anger and pain are natural. It seems to me that the OP was more about that than anything else.

Just my thoughts...you don't have to agree with me, but that's the beauty of the world, and I enjoy that I can sometimes learn from others... and have, on occasion, changed my mind because of others views. I usually don't get into the middle of these posts, because... really... my opinion is of little consequense.

EDIT: as for the judging? unless their actions and choices are hurting others... then harsh judgments may be necessary because then their actions may need punishment.

10 people like this

I can't quote on my phone threfore I must make it known that I'm replying to Steadfast

I object to the one from Wikipedia. I accept Google. I am also assuming that we're only speaking of the first definition. And since you did me the honor of "making me happy", I will not waste your effort and therefore this will be the only definition I'll use.

Now I assume you don't mind the actual definition, "a woman who has many casual sexual partners". The actual word Slut is the problem. You bolded the word derogatory. I argue that the word isn't inherently derogatory. Many people even use that word proudly to describe themselves. Many people use that word as a means to empower others. Are you saying that these people are purposely reducing themselves to a derogatory puddle?

And we, the ones here who are using the word, in this thread, aren't using it in a derogatory manner (at least I am not).

You have two options.

Accept that Slut isn't inherently derogatory and some just use it for its definition, accept that Slut is wholly derogatory and therefore undermine the people who use it in a non-derogatory manner, or yield.

(Yea I purposely said 2 options but have 3. Sounded cool in my head)

You have two options.

Accept that Slut isn't inherently derogatory and some just use it for its definition, accept that Slut is wholly derogatory and therefore undermine the people who use it in a non-derogatory manner, or yield.

So you don't actually accept the Google definition, because you don't accept their labeling it as a derogatory term.

And of course there are other options. I think of slut like I think of the word "queer" -- it's an insulting term that some people who have had it applied to them have purposefully reclaimed in an attempt to take away the word's sting and to empower themselves. So, in the case of the word "queer," it's one thing to use the word if you're an LGBT person holding up a sign saying "We're here, we're queer, get used to it," and it's an entirely different thing if you're a couple of straight boys playing "Smear the Queer" on a playground.

1 person likes this

Slut=queer.... got it!

1 person likes this

So.............. Queer isn't inherently derogatory?

Did you read my post? There are many members of the LGBT community who have reappropriated the word as a positive identifier within that community, but that does not mean they'd take kindly to a straight person using that word to describe them. This is a really common evolution with all sorts of slurs. 

So yes, there is a movement that seeks to re-utilize slut as a positive identifier. But that is not the way anyone on this forum is using it. If you do not self-identify as a slut, it is probably not your place to decide how it ought to be used.

1 person likes this

Slut=queer.... got it!

Lions and cougars are both in the Felidae family; that does not make them the same species. Slut and queer are both derogatory words that have undergone a similar evolution; that does not mean I was arguing that they are in any way equivalent.

1 person likes this

What does a lion and cougar have to do with this?

Whoa! You almost fooled me there Steadfast. I was under the impression that people can't "choose" to be queer unlike sluts(women who have many casual sexual partners) who do choose to be sluts.

And tell me why shouldn't I use a proper word that perfectly describes an individual?

It's a metaphor. Lions and cougars belong to the same biological family, but they are not the same species. Likewise, queer and slut are both derogatory words, but they are not synonyms.

1 person likes this

Are we seriously going to debate whether or not it's OK to call people sluts and whores?

Etymology.

GJ on the red herring.

Whoa! You almost fooled me there Steadfast. I was under the impression that people can't "choose" to be queer unlike sluts(women who have many casual sexual partners) who do choose to be sluts.
And tell me why shouldn't I use a proper word that perfectly describes an individual?

How about I call your dad a motherfucker because it perfectly describes him?

1 person likes this

Because -- shockingly -- calling someone a rude word is rude. If you're fine with being rude, then keep chugging along, but don't be surprised if you face consequences for that type of behavior.

It doesn't matter whether it's a choice or not, if they are not harming anyone (except for themselves, potentially), then it is not nice to turn around and harm them by calling them hurtful words.

If you call some 18 year old girl a slut, you are the one at fault in that interaction. She is not hurting you by making certain choices with her body. However, you are hurting her by calling her a nasty name. It doesn't matter how many sexual partners she has or has not had (how many in your opinion are necessary to meet the "official" definition of slut anyway? -_- ).

3 people like this

Steadfast ! I thought we already established that Slut isn't inherently derogatory. Unless you want to take that stand?

Allow me to quote myself:

So yes, there is a movement that seeks to re-utilize slut as a positive identifier. But that is not the way anyone on this forum is using it. If you do not self-identify as a slut, it is probably not your place to decide how it ought to be used.

If you aren't going to acknowledge and respond to the points I have already made throughout this thread, then I am going to stop trying to get through to you.

1 person likes this