Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Welcome

Meeting new people

5 posts in this topic

Hey girls of wtm. I wanted your explicit advice. You see, I'm going to be moving soon to a new city within a matter of months to pursue a volunteer position and after that even more education. I'll be going to Milwaukee if that helps. How do you recommend meeting new people in a brand new city? I mean, even seeing snow will be new for me. Thanks in advance for answering.

From what I gathered on Andi's hometown date to Milwaukee on the last season of the Bachelorette, the city has a lot of breweries and sensitive men. Not sure if this helps you.

2 people like this

Depending on the volunteer position, that could be a great way to meet new people and be an introduction to the city.  As well as pursuing education - people that are interested in the same career path that you are.   

some tips:

-be the first to say hi. don't wait to be spoken to. you'll always seem friendlier by being the first to say hi no matter where you are.

-ask people questions about themselves. seem interested in them. compliment them on something. psychologically, people are programmed to start liking the person who complimented them. (liking them as a person).

-only let positive words/thoughts come out of your mouth. people will think you're an overall positive, cheerful person and want to be around you. you wanna avoid looking like a downer when you're trying to make new friends so don't say negative things that bring people's moods down. even a seemingly innocent comment like "this salad tastes nasty" (when you're eating at a restaurant together or something) might give people the impression that you're a negative person who does a lot of complaining.

-smile. loosen up and look relaxed. don't have an uptight/stank expression on your face. make it easier for people to approach you.

3 people like this

I've moved a lot (and have been the new person around).  I am in a new city now for college.  I still haven't figured out how to make good friends, because it just takes time (I can make acquaintances pretty well).  Sometimes being the initiator for events (such as "you want to go bowling friday?") can help.  But people don't seem to be as committed to friendship towards new people.  They tend to stick with who they've known longer. 

One thing that works well for me, is look for the golden window of opportunity.  For example, if people are hanging out before class making casual conversation, jump in the conversation, be agreeable, offer some witty reply.  When people are hanging out, jump in.  If a group discussion takes place, jump in.  Say something interesting and be open to making statements that encourage future encounters.  "Anyone see the new Avengers movie yet?" 

Good luck.  My new friends have already seen the movie without me or with their significant others!  Maybe I just need a boyfriend to see it with!

1 person likes this