Peter

"Lock and Key"-thing

12 posts in this topic

In Denmark we have a saying that annoyed me for a while. I dont know if other countries have the equivalent, but here it is translated:

"A lock that can be opened by many keys is a bad lock, but a key that can open many locks is a master-key!"

Of course, the locks and keys representing women and men, respectively.

I thought about it recently, and this is my conclusion:

A lock that is opened by many "keys", is really either being lock-picked, forced open or maybe it is indeed a bad lock.

And a "key" that opens many locks, is either a lock-pick or any key just opening bad locks.

After all, a good lock is designed to be opened by only one key, and vice versa ;)

3 people like this

So girls who sleep around are bad, but guys who do the same thing are cool? That sounds pretty sexist to me.

I like your interpretation though. Especially this:

After all, a good lock is designed to be opened by only one key, and vice versa ;)

6 people like this

So girls who sleep around are bad, but guys who do the same thing are cool? That sounds pretty sexist to me.

I like your interpretation though. Especially this:

Yup, that's what it means. And you usually hear it from the guys who think they're cool because of that.

1 person likes this

Yeah, I've heard that saying in the US as well. And the guys who use it always act like their shi**y metaphor dictates reality. Like:

Me: I believe that men and women should be held to equal sexual standards.

Them: Oh, but you see, a key that opens many locks is a master key, while a lock that opens for many keys is a bad lock. QED.

3 people like this

I must disagree with this to the highest degree.

It is true that a good lock should only be opened by only one key but the opposite is plainly not true,

If every key in the world can open a certain lock, the lock truly is meaningless and worthless.

However, If a key can open any lock in the world, ANY LOCk, then that key is able to fulfill many purposes.

Honestly if given a choice, would you rather have a magical lock that can be opened by any key, or would you rather have a magical key that can open any lock?

I must disagree with this to the highest degree.

It is true that a good lock should only be opened by only one key but the opposite is plainly not true,

If every key in the world can open a certain lock, the lock truly is meaningless and worthless.

However, If a key can open any lock in the world, ANY LOCk, then that key is able to fulfill many purposes.

Honestly if given a choice, would you rather have a magical lock that can be opened by any key, or would you rather have a magical key that can open any lock?

I feel like you're taking this metaphor a bit too far. It worked in the original sentence (though I don't agree with its meaning) but we need to remember that it's just a metaphor. Maybe keys that open every lock in the world are great keys, but the same doesn't hold true for men that can have sex with any woman. We're not keys and locks. Yes, our genitals work in a similar way, but we're still people. Our purpose isn't to "open" or to be "opened". Judging someone's worth by applying that principle to sex is like saying "friends are like diamonds", then never caring for them because they supposedly don't break. It's just a metaphor.

3 people like this

I've heard this analogy pretty often. Surprisingly, I do think it holds some truth to it even though I disagree with it. Typically, men are the ones that have to 'pursue' women in order to obtain sex - he holds the key. The woman has the option to accept his offer or refuse it. A woman that says yes to every dude that approaches her may as well not even be a 'lock' since plenty of 'keys' have access to her. Likewise, a (non-waiter) guy is seen as more valuable since he's put in the effort to get more 'locks' to open for him.

The problem that I have with the analogy is that it overlooks the value of a man saving himself. From a waiter's perspective, the ideal is an exclusive relationship between one key and one lock. Your car key is responsible for opening your car door, not your house's front door, briefcase, office door, etc.

3 people like this

@Buster I agree, those are some really good points. Its probably also why the saying has become so popular.

I especially like the last sentence you wrote, it kind of sums up it :)

I've heard this analogy pretty often. Surprisingly, I do think it holds some truth to it even though I disagree with it. Typically, men are the ones that have to 'pursue' women in order to obtain sex - he holds the key. The woman has the option to accept his offer or refuse it. A woman that says yes to every dude that approaches her may as well not even be a 'lock' since plenty of 'keys' have access to her. Likewise, a (non-waiter) guy is seen as more valuable since he's put in the effort to get more 'locks' to open for him.

The problem that I have with the analogy is that it overlooks the value of a man saving himself. From a waiter's perspective, the ideal is an exclusive relationship between one key and one lock. Your car key is responsible for opening your car door, not your house's front door, briefcase, office door, etc.

IDK, if I had a key that could work for my house and my car that would be pretty awesome. But the thing is, men aren't keys and women aren't locks. It doesn't make men worth any more or less as people if they get laid a lot; the same applies to women. In my personal life, I wanted a partner who had never been with anyone else, so I ended up with someone who is better described as a lock than a key --- even though he's a guy.

I just generally find metaphors that compare people to objects to be kind of off-putting; the one we've talked about a lot around here is using "you have to test drive the car before you buy it" to mean "you have to sleep with someone before marrying them."

5 people like this

but then you have issues with 2 locks that cant open each other and 2 keys that haven't opened any locks because they just aren't into that and eventually start fighting for key on key rights and there right to have tiny keys and locks regardless of there lock opening skills

and don't even get me started on combination locks

1 person likes this

I hear it a lot. But, it's nearly always men saying it, so an easy response is.. "A pencil sharpener that sharpens many pencils is a good, useful sharpener, but a pencil that's sharpened many times becomes useless."

3 people like this