Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest JDmantel

Food date

24 posts in this topic

What a stupid title... anyway, would you rather go to a restaurant with a guy you're 'dating' (forget the terminology*) or cook/be cooked for??  And how many of you can cook? I think i'd prefer to cook for someone, you get to be more intimate and relaxed I think.

I'd cook Paella or Steak. I do a great Paella, my own recipe with some twists. And if she didn't like it then I could just eat hers! :P

And the same question for guys.  *This Is when you know/trust the person rather than at the start of getting to know them.

3 people like this

I'd prefer to cook. I love cooking and I come up with new recipes everyday. The ones that everyone eat the next hour after they are full or eat the next day I put a star next to to make again. I hope he likes to cook as well as I think it'd be more romantic and fun.

My best dishes are parmesan crusted chicken with grilled asparagus and artichoke spinach dip and broiled steak with roasted potatoes and herbs with homemade chocolate or mocha ice cream but because I'm almost completely vegan I'd make a nice grilled eggplant parmesan with vegan cheese with battered tofu and a homemade ketchup or bbq sauce :)

3 people like this

One the first few dates I'd prefer to go to a restaurant, just because of safety concerns, and not wanting to accidentally lead a non-waiter on. Once trust and understanding has been established, then I'm fine with either. I love planning menus and cooking on special occasions, but the clean up is always a pain. I love trying different restaurants and being served is nice for a change, but they're also expensive and very public. So it's really just a matter of what we'd be in the mood for.

3 people like this

It depends on how many dates we have been on. The beginning dates would be restaurant dates, then we would proceed to the 'kitchen' dates. This way you know what they like and and don't end up going to a psychopath's house (hopefully). I actually don't get to cook much because my grandma lives with me and thinks she has to feed me :D lol. I demand to make my own breakfast though

@Steadfast Madcap  that's why I put ignore the terminology, I meant once you're a little more comfortable.

@Jasmine23 the Parmesan crusted chicken sounds great!

1 person likes this

Cooking, one million percent. I can't cook to save my life (I can only make Fetticine Alfredo, other than that I burn everything somehow), so I'd be thrilled to have someone cook for me. It's definitely more thoughtful.

4 people like this

I'd prefer to cook. I love cooking and I come up with new recipes everyday. The ones that everyone eat the next hour after they are full or eat the next day I put a star next to to make again. I hope he likes to cook as well as I think it'd be more romantic and fun.

My best dishes are parmesan crusted chicken with grilled asparagus and artichoke spinach dip and broiled steak with roasted potatoes and herbs with homemade chocolate or mocha ice cream but because I'm almost completely vegan I'd make a nice grilled eggplant parmesan with vegan cheese with battered tofu and a homemade ketchup or bbq sauce :)

I think you were going to receive a lot of those crushes, until you mentioned vegan cheese and tofu.

4 people like this

LOL @ Luke.

Yeah I'm with Steadfast on this one. If you're meaning having known them for a while and I'm comfortable, then I would totally love to cook together, preferably with him knowing how to cook because I hate cooking unless it's baking sweets or pierogi, which I'm good at... but yeah... other than that I love to go out to restaurants but cooking together would be romantic.

2 people like this

If I didn't live with/near my family, I would have opted to meet somewhere public for awhile into dating someone. But, I certainly would prefer to cook. I enjoy cooking, and consider it healthier, more cost effective, family friendly and it is one of those things that I would naturally do. Growing up, going out to eat was a rare treat and I still think of it in such a manner.

That being said, I can't complain when my boyfriend decides to cook, or wants to take me out. (He likes to take me to try foods I've never eaten before.) It can be super nice to have a break, as well as fun.

3 people like this

I love cooking, and I always prefer to do it myself. I also have an autoimmune issue, so there are many foods that I can't eat, which makes it hard for me to go to restaurants that aren't frequented by people like me, or hard to let anyone who is not familiar with my way of eating cook for me. (For a long time I was seriously wondering if I would find anyone just because of that reason, let alone being WTM. Aaaand a whole list of other reasons, haha :lol: ) Actually, my boyfriend figured it out pretty quickly, and sometimes when I am coming over he already has something ready when I get there. 

A date is never complete without food, if you ask me!

3 people like this

I think you were going to receive a lot of those crushes, until you mentioned vegan cheese and tofu.

Lol hey if a guy doesn't like me because I eat that or cook it then that's their problem. What they should look at is that I CAN cook ANYTHING no matter if its vegan or not lol. You made me laugh too hard!

I always went out to eat with my ex bfs throughout the relationship, unless we caught a bite to eat from my moms' place. I don't cook. I have cooked a handful of times for my men. My current boo, has offered to cook for me. But I haven't taken up the offer and he hasn't dared to ask me to cook for him. Lol, I barely cook for myself. (The microwave is my friend!)

1 person likes this

I hate cooking. I always joke that I hope if I get married, I marry a chef ;)

Food is food to me(depending on what it is)If we've been dating for a while then I'll let him cook for me. Starting out, we'll eat at a restaurant.

I love cooking. My parents always worked so I had to take care of my own and that's how I learnt to make very delicious food, do the laundry and other households. I'm even teaching people receipts if they ask me.

I've never been to a restaurant and I refuse to go to a restaurant in the future. People are acting classy and are making a big deal of being around a table with 'expensive' food, sitting straight up and eating with exaggerated small portions, chewing in slow motion. Restaurants are way too overpriced, too restrictive and to me, fake, it's not romantic, you are forced to eat with a knife and fork. I don't like that. I refuse to hold the fork in my left hand and use a knife(unless it's rock-hard), because I DON'T WANT TO.

People called me a barbar just because of I eat french fries (sometimes) with my hands or because I never eat with a knife. But... I really don't care xD.

I rather spend 500 euros on a one day trip, than 30 euros on a meal that I can make myself, for a much lesser price and much better quality.

I will cook for my woman, but it's not because really I want to, it's because of what I believe what love is. You don't have to like cooking specifically, it's about liking every moment you are spending time together with your woman, doing things together, that's romance and love for me.

So yeah, I would go to a restaurant for my woman.

Romance, is not where you go. It's what you DO together without being forced to do something, without restriction.

3 people like this

I've never been to a restaurant and I refuse to go to a restaurant in the future. People are acting classy and are making a big deal of being around a table with 'expensive' food, sitting straight up and eating with exaggerated small portions, chewing in slow motion. Restaurants are way too overpriced, too restrictive and to me, fake, it's not romantic, you are forced to eat with a knife and fork. I don't like that. I refuse to hold the fork in my left hand and use a knife(unless it's rock-hard), because I DON'T WANT TO.

People called me a barbar just because of I eat french fries (sometimes) with my hands or because I never eat with a knife. But... I really don't care xD.

Wow, I don't know how they do it abroad, but in the USA a lot of restaurants are dirt-cheap burger/taco/pizza/deli places where eating with your hands is the norm and the portion sizes are enough to keep a grown man full for three days. They are the absolute antithesis of classy.  :lol: Is it really expected to eat french fries with a fork? I do that because I'm paranoid about germs and it always gets me weird looks....

1 person likes this

Wow, I don't know how they do it abroad, but in the USA a lot of restaurants are dirt-cheap burger/taco/pizza/deli places where eating with your hands is the norm and the portion sizes are enough to keep a grown man full for three days. They are the absolute antithesis of classy.  :lol: Is it really expected to eat french fries with a fork? I do that because I'm paranoid about germs and it always gets me weird looks....

Well, it's not like everyone is like that, but if you are at home, generally, it's considered impolite to eat without a knife (and/or fork), especially if they put it in front of you. For example, during a trip with our class, when we were having dinner in our motel, some people saw me eating french fries with my hands and they were like, hey, that's dirty man, do you also do it when you're home? And I was like, of course. :P Here, people generally only use their hands for bread (meals). Belgians have the 'rule' to have sandwiches at lunch and always eating warm food in the evening, which always must involve a knife and a fork.

Well there are many snack bars here where people just eat with their hands but they're mainly people of a 'lower' social class or people with a higher income. For example, one of my best friend's parents would never go out to have dinner in a snack bar. They'd always go to a restaurant. And their income isn't even that much to be considered 'rich' (5000-6000 euros a month total income). It seems that I gave the wrong impression about Belgium :D. It's just that some people with a higher income tend to be more strict, I think?

I like being "wined and dined" so going out to a restaurant is a plus!  Staying in and cooking is nice too.  I could cook for them, but only if they have a grateful nature.  I'm not about cooking for picky people.  I hope to be someone who just likes food in general.  I do.  And THEN they can see my cooking skills. ;)  I also think it is sexy when a man cooks. 

2 people like this

@Queen haha you make it sound like you're just going to fry some bacon, put it on toast and say 'there you go - eat it - hey eat that, don't be ungrateful'!! :lol: 

1 person likes this

First date? Whether, or not, we've known each other for a while, or not, I think I'd prefer a restaurant date... or even a picnic (if he wants to cook)... basically, for me, it's like leaving all of the work to someone else and being able to focus on just each others thoughts, actions, reactions, etc. I think an intimate home-cooked meal date would be like a third date, maybe second (if we've known each other and I already feel comfortable with him).

I just realized that you specified that you mean AFTER you're comfortable with someone... in that case, I think a combination is good. Once in a while a nice night out to a good restaurant, unless he wants to go out more (I won't argue), and I think cooking together (or watching him would be fun ;) ). Of course, I live with family, so staying in would mean him getting to know my family quite well... or going to his place (which I'm not sure about)... or getting to know his family well (which I'd be cool with) if he lives with family.

Although I have always had this idea that baking together could be fun... especially if we could have a food fight with the flour and stuff. lol

Can I cook? Eh, I'm not bad. I think I just get lucky, a lot, when I cook. I can follow directions, and it usually comes out pretty good. I can throw stuff together and, more often than not, it's pretty good. The question is, do I ENJOY cooking? lol Not really, but I'll do it if I need to or really have an urge to. I've always thought I might enjoy it more if I was cooking for someone I was in love with but, either way, I think as long as I love who I'm cooking for I'll be ok.

1 person likes this

@Queen haha you make it sound like you're just going to fry some bacon, put it on toast and say 'there you go - eat it - hey eat that, don't be ungrateful'!! :lol:

damn straight ;)

Furthermore, I am swooned by the man who is grateful for the little things, and I'll just want to do more for him.  If a man is grateful for the little things, I will fall deep in love.

Ultimately, marriage is a partnership.  We have to work together and appreciate each other for everything.  I don't like to try to jump fiery hoops just trying to meet someone's expectations.  I'd rather be with someone who is just thankful for a meal.

2 people like this

I'd cook Paella or Steak. I do a great Paella, my own recipe with some twists. And if she didn't like it then I could just eat hers! :P

What boooyyyyy!!! you are really funny!
1 person likes this

lol

1 person likes this

For my part, i hate to cook so that would be very romantic for me to have MY Man cooking for me. However, I love to prepare food when that takes me, and I bet you, you have to eat it, no matter how it tastes hihihi .

I am not very fond of restaurants but that would'nt bother me if we would go.