meandmyfaith

praying openly in public places

13 posts in this topic

:(Sometimes, no, OFTEN, when i am out in public places i don't make my prayer apparent to all. For example i can't pray openely before starting to eat in a restaurant. when i am in Church it's ok, when i am in part of a group outside (Church gathering,...) it's possible as well but when comes to do it individually in public places it is so hard 4 me. Notwithstanding, I still try to do it each time i should.

but there are 2 questions on my mind:

- Should i pray openly in public places for others to see me? Like the pharises were doing? 'cause if it's for God, I don't have to be forcing that way.

- do I secretely pray in public places because it embarasses me to pray to my God and that i don't want others to Watch me like i am crazy. Am I ashamed of God? :(

I would like to know how u other christian folks handle this issue.

Thanks in advance & may God bless u all

Love u guys!!! :wub:

2 people like this

I don't really hide my prayers, but I would say they are discrete. I bow my head and close my eyes. Sometimes I fold my hands, but they are usually holding something. I'm not ashamed of God, or my faith. It's just personal. I can't name any verses.. as I am sure some of the people here can... and I hope they do. However, I do know that your personal relationship with God is just that, personal. So, pray about it. If people provide you verses, read them and reflect on them. Remember that God loves you, and sometimes we have to work on ourselves and our faith. Peace will come. Our faith really is like a garden, it needs tending and care.

3 people like this

The problem with the pharisee prayers was that they were ingenuine & self aggrandising. When praying in public (generally only for food) I keep it discrete; folded hands, eyes shut, head down. If we're in a group one of us will ususally say a quite prayer. 

2 people like this

Why hide your prayer!! Why not show the world there are still believers! :)

1 person likes this

Nothing wrong with praying in public as long as it's not done out of a spirit of boastfulness and pride.  For example, there's nothing wrong with praying for your food in public, but don't make your prayer so loud that the only voice people hear in the restaurant is yours.  God can hear you when you speak quietly, no need to shout lol.

6 people like this

Aditya, i can't maybe because of shyness & when i try 2 overcome my shyness i realize i do it more for others to see me whereas i can pray discreetly in my heart for my God.

But u've a point there when u say we should let the world see that "there are still believers".

Buster Cannon i agree totally with what u say but i am not talking about the "loud" prayer. Either u close your  eyes & bow your head (standard way), either u keep quiet with your eyes open & while praying in your heart.

Which one comes out first when you are in a restaurant (fast food or not) for example ?

I don't usually eat by myself so with my family, for example, we take turns saying a quick prayer over our food. We say it out loud but not so everyone can hear us. We have had others come up to us and thank us for praying out loud and say that it's good to see. The rare times I do eat alone, I try to pray in my head with my head bowed and hands together but honestly sometimes I forget when I'm alone. Anyway, I think we should feel comfortable praying in front of others but I also understand being shy, I am. But I fight it and do it anyway because I feel like I have to make myself go out of my comfort zone for something that is more important, like praying to God. 

4 people like this

But I fight it & do it anyway because i feel like I have to make myself go out of my comfort zone 4 something that is more important, like praying to God

thks 4 ur answer NicoleNova, it is encouraging. Dat should definitely be my motto : getting out of my comfort zone when it is to honour my God.

God bless u

1 person likes this

For us Muslims, when I have to do one of my 5 prescribed prayers and I'm in a public area, I try my best to go in a corner somewhere or somewhere out of public view and being in public's way especially with the negative aspect that Muslims are painted with.

2 people like this

I accidentally prayed in a public place yesterday. What I mean by "accidentally" is that I chose a nice, private spot next to a stream in the countryside so I could offer sacrifice (sacrifice as in honey cakes I'd baked earlier, not actual living creatures) - what I didn't notice is that the spot was right behind a busy countryside road! Quite a few people gawked at me as they walked past. I prayed more quietly and less overtly than I would've otherwise, but I still did it. Sure, it felt embarrassing at times, but I wasn't going to pack up and hide just because a few people were watching!

Overall, though, I think it depends on the situation. Yesterday, I was doing my own thing in a place I had chosen and some people decided to watch. Fine, I'm not going to hide because of that. But if I'd been out with a group of friends who didn't share my faith, for example, and I suddenly announced we were going to pray before our picnic, that would be awkward. A God is a God, whether Christian, Muslim, Hellenic or anything else; you don't need to make a show of your faith for them to understand that you're faithful!

The bottom line: don't be embarrassed, but don't force it either. Do what feels most natural to the situation :)

3 people like this

CrystalFaerie

Thks for your answer ans for sharing your personal experience.

God bless u.

1 person likes this