Guest JDmantel

Would you temporarily dye your hair for your guy?

17 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if a girl would be willing to dye her hair for a little while if her guy asked. Or would you feel weird? Would it be insulting or would it just be fun? Also kind of factors in role-play but i'm not sure if that's for another forum? Be interesting to see what the response is.

I would never dream of asking a girl to change herself unless it was something damaging to her health. Least of all something a superficial as hair color.

7 people like this

Yea no way. My hair changes colors... bright red, brown, hints of blonde, etc. so he would already have plenty of colors to go around. If my husband wants to role play he'd better be willing to play dead. I'm not pretending to be anyone but myself. If he wants a woman with a different hair color.... don't marry me. The same is vice versa for women. I'm not a fan of dying hair period or having anything fake. And why would a guy request a color change? Buy a wig lol

1 person likes this

I'm very proud of my long, naturally blonde hair, so my SO has to get behind it as well. I don't even dry it or straighten it most days, because I really want it keep it as healthy and unprocessed as possible. A woman changing her hair color is usually a pretty huge commitment (several hours in a salon chair, and several months with the color at least, plus regular touch-ups, etc. And it would take me years to regrow my hair if I wanted to return to a wholly natural color).

1 person likes this

Here's the thing, I have put a 'permanent' curl in my hair... ONCE, and dyed my... ONCE... in my life. So, I don't mind a little change. I have realized that, even though I did like my hair a little more red, I pretty much like to keep my color and style simple. Right now I'm trying to let it grow long. So that it will look all cute for some of my hats.

Given that thought, I'd say it depends.

If he just wants me to try something different because he's bored with me, I'd rather him tell me he wants to spice things up. So we can figure out what wrong, and maybe try something new. Ruts happen. I mean, I wouldn't dye my hair for role playing... and, even though it might take me some getting use to, I'm not opposed to role playing, but I hope that takes years to need if we do... except for CERTAIN ROLES, I do have a line. I'm not going to dye my hair just because he wants it. There has to be a reason, and he has to talk to me. I don't think our hair color changes who we are... I'm still me, no matter what my hair looks like.

If the reason was that he has noticed that I AM getting a little bored with my own look, or I've mentioned that I'd like to try something different, I wouldn't mind if he sees a color or style that he thinks might look nice. Sure, in that case, why not... after all, he's only giving me input on what somthing I want anyway.

I would have more of a problem if he told me I COULD NOT do something, or HAD TO do something, that I didn't want to do (in that area, obviously there are time in life when you have to do something you'd rather not... parties, events, etc etc). If you don't like something, talk to me. Let me know. Odds are, since it's hair and there's a lot I can do with it, if you don't like it I will probably never do it again... but don't go all caveman demanding on me. lol That won't do at all. :)

@Steadfast Madcap I've got a friend and every time I see her she's changed her hair! I thought it was quick and easy. Maybe I'm thinking of a bottle dye? Wig works as well I guess. I'm not that bothered about hair colour but I do love red hair so I might ask one day! Glad to gage reactions before.

If she said 'no way' though, i'd leave in a heartbeat... (that's a joke!)

@PhotoGirl  I think role playing would be quite fun. I'm surprised people are so opposed to it. It's still the same two people just pretending to be in a different scenario or taking on a character. If you're both into it I imagine it would be quite fun. Obviously if one is uncomfortable then don't do it, Hell I might be the one to be uncomfortable! But I'd certainly like to try it one day.

I already dye my hair, and sometimes I like the change. If I am in the mood for that color, I might. I also go through fazes where I chop all my hair off. My SO will have to go through my weirdness, why not ask for his opinion sometimes :lol:

I have naturally very dark brown hair, which - depending on how feisty I'm feeling on any one particular day - can look entirely auburn. Sometimes, I just get downright bored. When that happens, usually I'll wake up in the middle of the night, fancying a change; and I'll chop half my hair off (as it's typically the easiest thing to alter), before falling right back off to sleep.

I certainly wouldn't be offended if anyone suggested a change in colour - as long as they realise that vegan-friendly hair dye can often be slightly more expensive than your typical non-vegan dyes.

The plan is to buy some lemons, so I can try and lighten my hair a little, coming up to summer. Never done it before, but I reckon it might just satiate my desire for something different.  :)

...'Cause #YOLO  :lol: 

1 person likes this

@CarolinaWaits  haha you made it sound as if you just sit up in bed, chop some of and go back to sleep in a hair covered bed! I've shaved my head a couple of times when bored with my hair. Lemons lighten your hair? How does that work?

1 person likes this

@CarolinaWaits  haha you made it sound as if you just sit up in bed, chop some of and go back to sleep in a hair covered bed! I've shaved my head a couple of times when bored with my hair. Lemons lighten your hair? How does that work?

Haha! Thankfully, I'm usually sprightly enough to leave my bed, before reaching for the scissors.  :P I've yet to shave my hair completely, I must admit.  :)

Aye: pop some lemon juice on your hair, sit in the sun for a while, and - just like that - you're a whole new person, lighter hair an' all.  ^_^  It's a redox reaction, in which the lemon juice alters the structure of the bonds of the pigment found in the keratin, enabling the sun to lighten the hair more quickly than it would without the lemon juice. And it no doubt ruins your hair, in the process, I'd imagine.  :lol:

@CarolineWaits Thanks for that, always nice to learn something! I shaved my head in the summer but my head started burning in the sun! I'll never go that short again. But instead of using hair dye, if I ever fancy a change, I will go and douse my head in lemons and sit in the sun... for hours... as a lemonhead  :lol: My hair is really thick, which might be good for when i'm old but there's not a lot I can do with it. I do envy girls their long hair!

Probably not. When and if I ever dye my hair I'm doing it for myself, not for a guy.

I still have this box of pink hair dye I got on clearance at Target last year I have to use someday. I'm gonna have to cut my hair shorter or get another box (or both), cause I have too much hair for one box of dye.  :P  That same brand of hair dye also has several other cool colors that I want to try someday. :)

I'm very particular about my hair because I get a lot of compliments on it. I've never died it and I don't use a hair dryer because it's bad for your hair. I do straighten it every once in a while because it's so thick and gets so big sometimes lol Straightening my already straight hair makes it more silky. But the point is that I won't be dying my hair until it goes gray. When that day comes, I'll use the healthiest dye possible, probably Henna? (though that tends to leave hints of red, which is okay as long as it's mostly brown) And I'll keep it dark brown because I am fond of my natural color and feel that it suits me well. 

If he wants to see me as a blond or a red-head, I'll try a wig on but I'm not harming my hair or making myself feel uncomfortable by not feeling like myself. 

3 people like this

@NicoleNova

The role-play question works better, I guess. That might be a more interesting discussion.

I don't think that I would dye my hair just because he wanted me to.  My hair changes color during the summer anyway; it lightens up a lot and whole sections turn blonde from being in the sun, so all he has to do is wait a couple of months.  Plus I try to keep my hair as healthy as possible as I donate it every couple of years.  

1 person likes this